News Forum - Police in Phuket increasing checkpoints, cracking down on moving violations and crime

Thaiger

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Enforcing the traffic laws is a good idea.  Here in Patong things were getting out of control.  People riding the wrong way on a one way street.  No helmet.   Speeding.  LOUD motorcycles.  Enforcing the traffic laws will save lives and even more injuries.

Selectively enforcing traffic laws serves no long term good, behaviour change just does not happen here.

I do agree enforcing the traffic laws would save leives and help prevent serious injuries but this is thailand

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Poolie said:

Pattaya Police have arrested a young man who was caught on video doing what appeared to be a dangerous “superman flying” stunt on his motorbike in Pattaya earlier this week.

Not an uncommon sight,  employed by most of the boy racers

2 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Not an uncommon sight,  employed by most of the boy racers

It was more a comment on 'the Thais dont have to obey the laws.'

Yes, they do.

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Enforcing the traffic laws is a good idea.  Here in Patong things were getting out of control.  People riding the wrong way on a one way street.  No helmet.   Speeding.  LOUD motorcycles.  Enforcing the traffic laws will save lives and even more injuries.

I totally agree with you there @MikeD. However, what you describe is the norm almost throughout the entire country, possibly with the exception of inner Bangkok. All the things you describe I’ve seen from Chiang Rai to Hat Yai. I think the point many have made is that the law need to be enforced for ALL. Not just target foreigners. 

I recall being in Phuket with friends about 5 years ago on motorbikes heading back from Karon to Patong. They had set up a road block using what must have been 30 police. They weren’t interested in moving traffic offences. All they were doing was nicking foreigners for not having either a Thai driving license or a driving license with an international driving permit. Of course many were shocked when their French or U.K. or US driving license wasn’t sufficient. I was lucky in that I have a Thai license and just watched the mayhem unfold.  Meanwhile Thais we’re being waved past with no helmets, no registration plates, four on a bike. Kids who looked about 12.  That didn’t increase safety at all. It was a straightforward money making scheme. Technically correct, but a nice piece of sharp practice by the police. 

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, Malc-Thai said:

Utter rubbish ! The only tickets are increasing will be to the tourists!  I watched today along the beach road tourists getting stopped for no helmet but thais drive straight past.  And many a time the police on motorbikes being overtaken at speed by teenagers no helmet and sound like no exhaust pipe.. just a blink of their eye because they are not tourists!  

No  one expected that any different! The cash cow is back in town, so they start milking it.  And, honestly, if tourists are stupid enough, to see a helmet only as protector for the wallet, or not even thinking about that, somnamna!

And yes, I get your main point: 2 rules for foreigners and locals!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Malc-Thai said:

And sadly the thais don't have to !

The Thais don't have money.

They haven't had that ( BiB saying), before covid, so they even have less, now ;-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

The Thais don't have money.

They haven't had that ( BiB saying), before covid, so they even have less, now ;-)

Yes I've seen over many years how the tourists get targeted but lately I've seen it nearly every day is stepping up. its not just non helmet it's licences too. I've had a friend stopped because his mask was loose and dropping down. Yes the thais just don't have money so basically selective law enforcement.. I'm all for law enforcement but not selective. I sat 2 days ago at bottom of bangla by the beach eating and just watched for over half hour the police stopping just foreigners..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes I've seen over many years how the tourists get targeted but lately I've seen it nearly every day is stepping up. its not just non helmet it's licences too. I've had a friend stopped because his mask was loose and dropping down. Yes the thais just don't have money so basically selective law enforcement.. I'm all for law enforcement but not selective. I sat 2 days ago at bottom of bangla by the beach eating and just watched for over half hour the police stopping just foreigners..

Well that doesn't make it a relaxing welcome back holiday or if a local foreigner anything that seems ok. The mask thing sounds odd unless it was truly not covering his nose. What they they nab him for on that one? Just waiting for CM and what will happen here. Not that I care because I always ride pretty legal.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well that doesn't make it a relaxing welcome back holiday or if a local foreigner anything that seems ok. The mask thing sounds odd unless it was truly not covering his nose. What they they nab him for on that one? Just waiting for CM and what will happen here. Not that I care because I always ride pretty legal.

Luckily one of our group riding was thai military friend and he stopped and chatted with the police guy.. he was then just warned to wear his mask properly and yes it was under his nose. Just a cheep mask that everytime he spoke it moved down under his nose.. we all were sure he would have been fined. but again other thais riding past no hats or masks .. I've seen it from full lockdown no roadstops to now sandbox open and stepping them up daily.. 

Edited by Malc-Thai

29 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Luckily one of our group riding was thai military friend and he stopped and chatted with the police guy.. he was then just warned to wear his mask properly and yes it was under his nose. Just a cheep mask that everytime he spoke it moved down under his nose.. we all were sure he would have been fined. but again other thais riding past no hats or masks .. I've seen it from full lockdown no roadstops to now sandbox open and stepping them up daily.. 

what I have noticed is some of these boxes of blue masks are assembled very poorly being too loose fitting. If you are on a bike they move around way too easily. But even I will pull it up if I see police in the distance. Easy prey easy money. 

• Cool 1

24 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

what I have noticed is some of these boxes of blue masks are assembled very poorly being too loose fitting. If you are on a bike they move around way too easily. But even I will pull it up if I see police in the distance. Easy prey easy money. 

Yes if you not shaved that day or a couple of day they pull down very quickly just talking.. 

7 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

I'm all for law enforcement but not selective. I sat 2 days ago at bottom of bangla by the beach eating and just watched for over half hour the police stopping just foreigners..

I have never seen that any different, at the Bangla/Beach Road Corner.

Just wondering, with all this "social medias" and "face" around, that nobody has ever done a video about and  youtube'd it.

Seems to work, if it is shown to the world. ;-)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:48 PM, Thaiger said:

Phuket police have warned that anyone driving dangerously through checkpoints will be ticketed. This announcement comes after a report from a Thai news source said that the Tha Chatchai police had received an order to issue more traffic tickets. This was followed by a flurry of posts on social media warning drivers in Phuket that police at the Phuket Check Point were looking to give tickets and make arrests. The Provincial Police responded in a post online, explaining that monitoring traffic is an important part of their job. “Phuket Provincial Police would like to clarify that traffic discipline to reduce […]

The story Police in Phuket increasing checkpoints, cracking down on moving violations and crime as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Me and my 13 year old son got stopped. I had to small beers to the dinner one hour. The limit is 0,5 and I am 100% sure that I had not exceed this though I have an own control instrument!

Anyway, the police tested me with their equipment and the light was red. How could I prove it was under 0,5?

Totally bad. They threatened me with jail and of course I respect no drinking and driving. This is a shame and I will tell all my friends about this when going to Thailand. I have been in Phuket over 30 times and are over 50. 

The rules has to be respected in all time, but doing like this against tourists are a very bad scan. We spend a lot of money here also, and I will not go here again.