News Forum - Prominent economic think-tank welcomes November 1 re-opening plans

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Jamey27 said:

I mean the STV can be useful if they cut down all the paperwork but even with a 6 month visa you still have to do the 90 day check in at immigration and with no night life or really anything to do after 9-10 pm it’s a waste of $400 

Yes I agree. As you say it’s a waste of $400 and will only suit a select few. I did consider it and had a conversation with a couple of members more knowledgable that I about it. In the end I’m opting for 60 day TV and 30 day extension. I’ll take it from there after that. My hope is to remain 6 months but will have to see.  

I find it odd that a country like Thailand that provide a service “Tourism” should say - “Sorry you have to stop buying this now and leave”. And before people say all countries are the same etc etc. I’m talking about Thailand. Where people like me go and spend money. Create no demands on the healthcare system or demanding financial support and looking to work etc. Simply go, behave myself and bring plenty of money in to the country and spend it? Why ration a service you want to sell when it’s plentiful. Odd! 

• Cool 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:16 AM, Soidog said:

Apart from the double extension option , there’s nothing Special about the Special tourist visas. Certainly not in terms of the hoops you need to go through at least.

I was considering using the STV route for my return early next year as I plan on staying 6 months. I’ve now decided the 60 day tourist + 30 day extension is the better route. I’ll either do a border run if they are open by then, if not hope the Covid extension is possible. If not, then I’ll return home after 90 days

I just checked at the Thai embassy website in London and it states the visa is not available anymore, it ended in September 2021 for new applicants.

I remember reading last week or so the STV was going to be extended for new applicants but not according the to the Thai embassy web site, as confusing as usual.

41 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I just checked at the Thai embassy website in London and it states the visa is not available anymore, it ended in September 2021 for new applicants.

I remember reading last week or so the STV was going to be extended for new applicants but not according the to the Thai embassy web site, as confusing as usual.

My understanding is that it is available but the website hasn’t been updated. They are so so slow to do this. Why these updates aren’t more centrally administered I do not know. If they can’t update this, then it will be December before they get around to the Thailand Pass 😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

My understanding is that it is available but the website hasn’t been updated. They are so so slow to do this. Why these updates aren’t more centrally administered I do not know. If they can’t update this, then it will be December before they get around to the Thailand Pass 😂

I always get annoyed when I look at the Thai Embassy website London because it is full of contradictory errors and is so hard to follow, they should get me to write it, someone who is experience and qualified instead of getting a mate of theirs to do it for a backhander. 

No mention of the special visa past September 2021, as far as I can see I can apply for a max 60 day visa as a tourist which can be extended but it does not say by how long, so annoying I can't be bother to look further. 

54 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I always get annoyed when I look at the Thai Embassy website London because it is full of contradictory errors and is so hard to follow, they should get me to write it, someone who is experience and qualified instead of getting a mate of theirs to do it for a backhander. 

No mention of the special visa past September 2021, as far as I can see I can apply for a max 60 day visa as a tourist which can be extended but it does not say by how long, so annoying I can't be bother to look further. 

Yes I agree with that. Their website is an embarrassment. Having someone do proper UAT on it would be a good start. 

As far as I know, the 60 day tourist visa can be extended once for up to 30 days at a cost of 1,900 Baht once in country. My plan is to do the same thing and then hope either the borders are open after that in order to do a “border run”, or they are still closed and I can extend the visa on the basis of Covid restrictions. 

If I see any change on the Thai embassy site I’ll flag it 👍🏻

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree with that. Their website is an embarrassment. Having someone do proper UAT on it would be a good start. 

As far as I know, the 60 day tourist visa can be extended once for up to 30 days at a cost of 1,900 Baht once in country. My plan is to do the same thing and then hope either the borders are open after that in order to do a “border run”, or they are still closed and I can extend the visa on the basis of Covid restrictions. 

If I see any change on the Thai embassy site I’ll flag it 👍🏻

Cheers, that would be helpful.