News Forum - Prominent economic think-tank welcomes November 1 re-opening plans

Thaiger

A leading economic research body says a planned re-opening to international tourism from November will give the Thai economy the boost it needs. According to a Nation Thailand report, the Kasikorn Research Centre predicts further economic growth from next year, provided the government gets Covid-19 under control. It points out that the country’s tourism sector will only see a full recovery if the Thai government manages to get over 70% of the population fully vaccinated. The economic research body expects international tourism to increase by 64% given that the re-opening date of November 1 falls during the normally-busy high season. […]

The story Prominent economic think-tank welcomes November 1 re-opening plans as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Who are these thinkers? The Sandbox was an utter failure with not even 10% of the forecast number actually arriving, and many of them complained that they were fed an overly rosy picture of what they would enjoy. November 1 is not going to see an influx of more than a few hundred at best, and the systems such as the electronic pass will be chaotic. No tourists want to come to an open prison with no bars, clubs and other nightlife. This bunch of prominent thinkers needs to cease being a hype machine for the lame duck government that is incapable of organising the return of tourism.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Who are these thinkers? The Sandbox was an utter failure with not even 10% of the forecast number actually arriving, and many of them complained that they were fed an overly rosy picture of what they would enjoy. November 1 is not going to see an influx of more than a few hundred at best, and the systems such as the electronic pass will be chaotic. No tourists want to come to an open prison with no bars, clubs and other nightlife. This bunch of prominent thinkers needs to cease being a hype machine for the lame duck government that is incapable of organising the return of tourism.

Yes, you said yesterday, and the day before, and.....ad nauseaum.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I do wonder if these figures are arrived throwing darts at a dart board while blindfolded.

TAT must have a hell of a lot of darts to reach their numbers..🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jamey27 said:

This is all fantasy. Who thinks special tourist visas will attract more people? There’s zero guarantee there will be any nightlife too. Until tourists can come and go like pre-covid days there won’t be as many people visiting

Apart from the double extension option , there’s nothing Special about the Special tourist visas. Certainly not in terms of the hoops you need to go through at least.

I was considering using the STV route for my return early next year as I plan on staying 6 months. I’ve now decided the 60 day tourist + 30 day extension is the better route. I’ll either do a border run if they are open by then, if not hope the Covid extension is possible. If not, then I’ll return home after 90 days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

it's a Kasikorn Research Centre, FFC

... and it's a Kasikorn Research Centre that didn't say what the article says. 😯

All their predictions and "welcoming" had the caveat that they all depended on the Covid-situation being "under control" with at least 70% of the country vaccinated.

I doubt that's going to happen in the next two weeks, by 1 November .....

6 hours ago, Pompies said:

I was chatting online with a mate who has been running his own holiday rental house business for the last 25 years in Phuket and he said he has no problem going to the bars in Phuket on his usual once a week beer night.

I said it is suppose to be closed, he said yes supposed to be but he said, "No police".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Stonker said:

... and it's a Kasikorn Research Centre that didn't say what the article says. 😯

All their predictions and "welcoming" had the caveat that they all depended on the Covid-situation being "under control" with at least 70% of the country vaccinated.

I doubt that's going to happen in the next two weeks, by 1 November .....

It is funny as we the general public knew that months ago. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Maybe they do their research on the forums.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Pompies said:

This reminds me of that and felt in a deep sleep

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

I expect they did too.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pompies said:

All the big 5 are about to announced as more Sandboxes - with the difference being ONE night in a hotel

The Bangla road in Phuket is open right now - as per pre covid

27 minutes ago, Benroon said:

All the big 5 are about to announced as more Sandboxes (not sure why Thaiger hasn't picked it up) - with the difference being ONE night in a hotel

What do you mean closed? The Bangla road in Phuket is open right now

A good friend who has been running his own mini-resort for 25 years in Phuket told me earlier he has no problem doing his weekly meet up with the lads ,he can still go to the same bar as he always could stating simply 'no police'.

I remember over the years the police turning up in full uniform and a small envelope being handed over by the owner, so I suppose they do not want to lose that. 

Also as an 'opening' day approaches the police have a tendency to just let it go. 

The police for all their sins also like to look after their own and turn a blind eye, its their countrymen that are suffering - this is why every now and then a 'special' squad of police, easy to spot with different uniforms, ride into town to clean it up. But depending how well connected you are, you'll be tipped off long before they get there!

That cold beer is just around the corner !

33 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Also as an 'opening' day approaches the police have a tendency to just let it go. 

The police for all their sins also like to look after their own and turn a blind eye, its their countrymen that are suffering - this is why every now and then a 'special' squad of police, easy to spot with different uniforms, ride into town to clean it up. But depending how well connected you are, you'll be tipped off long before they get there!

That cold beer is just around the corner !

Great, it is a pity we do not have the same system here in the Uk with the taxman. LOL

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

Certainly not in terms of the hoops you need to go through at least.

There are actually several additional hoops, like a fully booked stay in advance, that non-Special tourists don't have to bother with.

15 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

it's a Kasikorn Research Centre, FFC

These are the same group who predicted ฿30/US$ by the end of the year back in June.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A leading economic research body says a planned re-opening to international tourism from November will give the Thai economy the boost it needs. According to a Nation Thailand report, the Kasikorn Research Centre predicts further economic growth from next year, provided the government gets Covid-19 under control. It points out that the country’s tourism sector will only see a full recovery if the Thai government manages to get over 70% of the population fully vaccinated. The economic research body expects international tourism to increase by 64% given that the re-opening date of November 1 falls during the normally-busy high season. […]

Isn't this just common sense?  Total waste of time news, announcement and prediction. Got no better things to do? Grab a beer