News Forum - At least 88% of Bangkok high school students now vaccinated

Thaiger

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says at least 88% of the capital’s high school students are now vaccinated against Covid-19. Students have received the Pfizer mRNA vaccine ahead of schools re-opening for onsite learning next month. Khachit Chatchawanit from the BMA says 33,048 out of 37,466 registered senior high school students are now inoculated. According to a Bangkok Post report, 29,252 junior high school students will be vaccinated between now and Wednesday. Staff who are not yet vaccinated will receive the mix-and-match formula of Sinovac and AstraZeneca. Officials from the Public Health and Education ministries are working with other relevant agencies […]

The story At least 88% of Bangkok high school students now vaccinated as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Have I overlooked something but did it state as to whether they have received one dose only or the required 2 doses to be considered fully vaccinated ?

Yet another Bangkok-based policy which screws over every other person in the Kingdom.

Are school kids OUTSIDE of Bangkok not worthy to be vaccinated? Are school kids outside of Bangkok vaccinated to 88% as well? (Hint: not where I live)

If ever there was proof of the idea that Bangkok is the political center of Thailand and that the rest of the country can go F*** itself, this is it. 

It is time to accept facts for what they are; this is no longer 'Thailand'...

...this is the country of 'Bangkok and Surroundings'.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 3
  • Cool 1

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

Have I overlooked something but did it state as to whether they have received one dose only or the required 2 doses to be considered fully vaccinated ?

"All students and staff must be vaccinated by the first day of school"

This has been my frustration all along with the government jumping up and down exitedly saying people are vaccinated after 1 jab not the full course of treatment..

how can they fully vaccinated teachers in 2 weeks before the schools open? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gummy said:

23 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

"All students and staff must be vaccinated by the first day of school"

This has been my frustration all along with the government jumping up and down exitedly saying people are vaccinated after 1 jab not the full course of treatment..

how can they fully vaccinated teachers in 2 weeks before the schools open? 

Your both correct of course. One vaccine is the norm for this smoke and mirrors government to declare their targets have been met.

Its apparent that they have no regard to the safty of the people and only care about saving face over their inept inadequacy at handling the late vaccination program.

• Like 2

It has to be only 1 Pfizer jab, and if 88% of all students are truly vaccinated then that is unbelievable. OK, let's just leave it at unbelievable. 

There they go again with Sinovac and AZ. They should have ditched Sinovac from the second day and one has to wonder why they keep on purchasing this junk and give allegiance to the CCP and CP investor. You would figure they would at least listen to the majority of the Thai people instead of treating them as peons they think they control. The people do not consider themselves servants to them, but it needs to be just the opposite.

• Like 2

I wonder why Thailand authorities have chosen mRNA "vaccine" (Pfizer), which before covid hit, was never before used.  Why did they not use the safer, tried-and-true vaccines that use inactivated virus (Sinovac) for this?  No one knows he long-term consequences of mRNA injections yet, not enough time to know, and then to use it on the children?  Make one wonder, a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xinlee said:

I wonder why Thailand authorities have chosen mRNA "vaccine" (Pfizer), which before covid hit, was never before used.  Why did they not use the safer, tried-and-true vaccines that use inactivated virus (Sinovac) for this?  No one knows he long-term consequences of mRNA injections yet, not enough time to know, and then to use it on the children?  Make one wonder, a lot.

Probably because Sinovac is next to useless, while Pfizer is 95% plus effective ... just a thought .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xinlee said:

Sinovac. 

Your obviously joking or just woken up after a 12 month sleep. 

Its widly known Sinovac has very little efficacy against the Delta variant which is what's currently prominent in Thailand....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

It has to be only 1 Pfizer jab, and if 88% of all students are truly vaccinated then that is unbelievable. OK, let's just leave it at unbelievable. 

There they go again with Sinovac and AZ. They should have ditched Sinovac from the second day and one has to wonder why they keep on purchasing this junk and give allegiance to the CCP and CP investor. You would figure they would at least listen to the majority of the Thai people instead of treating them as peons they think they control. The people do not consider themselves servants to them, but it needs to be just the opposite.

Agreed on all counts - the single Pfizer jab policy for those under 18 was announced some time ago, in line with other countries such as the UK.

What I can't understand are the numbers - not so much the "88%", but the "33,048 out of 37,466 registered senior high school students".

How can there only be 37,466 registered senior high school students in Bangkok, with a population of over 10 million?

That's only 0.37% of the population, around one in three hundred.

Sure, a lot of those in Bangkok are from the provinces who've left their children up country, but that seems unbelievably low.

Edit:

That's around a tenth of the number of senior high school students you'd expect from a population of over ten million.

That doesn't add up.

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

BMA says 33,048 out of 37,466 registered senior high school students are now inoculated

What do they mean by registered? It’s easy to skip past this figure and assume this is the number of students registered in a Bangkok High School. That seems very low to me. I think what it means is only 37,466 students have registered to be vaccinated, of which 33,048 (88.2%) have been vaccinate. This is not the same as 88.2% of all High School students in Bangkok. With Bangkok accounting for roughly 10% of the Thai population and an estimated 5 million children of high school age in the country. It’s fair to assume around 400,000-500,000 high school children in Bangkok?  

it does say “senior high-school”. Even if you cut that right back and said age groups and limits on vaccination and people who are unable to receive it on medical grounds and assume 100,000 High school students, 33,048 is therefore only 33%. As ever the numbers are confusing and less than convincing. Headlines look good though….

That is a very good result and will save lives.

I notice all the posts above are negative. 

No matter what the Thais do the farangers will complain endlessly.

A misleading headline by the Thaiger. I admit, it sucked me in.

11 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Sorry @RobMuir, but why is highlighting an obviously misleading statistic on something so important as vaccination seen as negative? Surely the erroneous and misleading headline is the negative aspect of this report. 

• Like 1

Looking at the article and comments, it would seem that those teachers who are not vaccinated yet and get the mix and match approach wouldn't all be ready to start work on 1 November.

And the total number of registered  students (registered for school or for vaccination?) simply does not give any indication of the number of actual students.

So either very few will go back to school and the others will continue online learning, possibly creating disparity between the groups, or the date will be postponed.

Again.

And then there's the rest of the country that nobody ever talks about.

• Like 1

Those that havent been vaccinated need to stay home for another month or 2. 

Everyone else needs to forget about covid and move on with their life.

Generate some money for the economy since debts dont pay themselves off. 

1 minute ago, Rip255 said:

Those that havent been vaccinated need to stay home for another month or 2. 

Everyone else needs to forget about covid and move on with their life.

Generate some money for the economy since debts dont pay themselves off. 

I have some sympathy with what you are saying and it’s a difficult balance of lives and livelihoods. However, as I’m sure you appreciate, that’s often difficult to do in many Thai households. It’s also true that if the main bread winners die or are sick, the debt becomes an even bigger problem. Not an easy choice and I can see both sides of the debate. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry @RobMuir, but why is highlighting an obviously misleading statistic on something so important as vaccination seen as negative? Surely the erroneous and misleading headline is the negative aspect of this report. 

No need to be sorry.

But I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. It is Thaiger that changed its headline to make it sound like they 88% figure was all high school kids in BKK.

And considering their source was the Bangkok Post which also have a habit of using misleading and exaggerated headlines I am curious to know BPs source, but it isn't shown.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

No need to be sorry.

But I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. It is Thaiger that changed its headline to make it sound like they 88% figure was all high school kids in BKK.

And considering their source was the Bangkok Post which also have a habit of using misleading and exaggerated headlines I am curious to know BPs source, but it isn't shown.

The Tiger quoted the same source as the BP and hence the comments. The source was the BMA Permanent Secretary Khachit Chatchawanit. 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Not "negative", but the figures are clearly wrong.

Vaccine take-up at schools in the provinces has been 90%++, so it's unlikely to be a tenth of that in Bangkok so the percentages could well be correct but the figures given are obviously wrong.

That could be bad reporting, bad briefing, who knows, but they're still wrong.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

The Tiger quoted the same source as the BP and hence the comments. The source was the BMA Permanent Secretary Khachit Chatchawanit. 

Ok, I just searched the Thai news from which BP probably copied, then fluffed up a bit before Thaiger did the same thing. 

As I suspected the above Thaiger story isn't factual. 

The Thai version says 87% (not 88%) WILL be vaccinated, not HAVE been vaccinated etc etc 

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says at least 88% of the capital’s high school students are now vaccinated against Covid-19.

Nah.

https://news.thaipbs.or.th/content/308703

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Ok, I just searched the Thai news from which BP probably copied, then fluffed up a bit before Thaiger did the same thing. 

As I suspected the above Thaiger story isn't factual. 

The Thai version says 87% (not 88%) WILL be vaccinated, not HAVE been vaccinated etc etc 

Nah.

https://news.thaipbs.or.th/content/308703

Getting to the stage where you can believe nothing unless it’s published in the Royal gazette. At least then if it’s wrong they have to make it right  😬

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Getting to the stage where you can believe nothing unless it’s published in the Royal gazette. At least then if it’s wrong they have to make it right  😬

It is a problem. In the past newspapers could increase revenue by selling ads to companies who trusted them as a reliable and accurate news source.

Now advertising revenue has shifted to "per click" which encourages this trickery.

"At least 88% of Bangkok students now vaccinated"

will get more of a reaction/clicks/ad revenue than the real story

"Schools department planning to have 87% of senior high school students in Bangkok to receive their first jab soon"

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agreed on all counts - the single Pfizer jab policy for those under 18 was announced some time ago, in line with other countries such as the UK.

What I can't understand are the numbers - not so much the "88%", but the "33,048 out of 37,466 registered senior high school students".

How can there only be 37,466 registered senior high school students in Bangkok, with a population of over 10 million?

That's only 0.37% of the population, around one in three hundred.

Sure, a lot of those in Bangkok are from the provinces who've left their children up country, but that seems unbelievably low.

Edit:

That's around a tenth of the number of senior high school students you'd expect from a population of over ten million.

That doesn't add up.

And high school is 6 years here not 4.

Total fabrication or they really got their shite together. What I do know is schools are pretty good to organize their students to go do it, but what I don't trust is the officials at jabbing points or the government intervention actually doing their job efficiently. Just aint possible.

6 hours ago, Xinlee said:

Sincocrap? Or Sinojunk? Are you joking? You must be CCP.

6 hours ago, Xinlee said:

If you are Chinese, then ask your country to why there is a CV-19. And don't point the finger to another country as it aint gonna happen. No disrespect if you are just a Chinese person, but things don't look good for the CCP.