Covid testing to enter Thailand- what test(s) are acceptable?

BeerIsLife

Howdy all;

Planning a trip to the Kingdom in the winter, once the quarantines are finally lifted.  A covid test on arrival is standard, that I know. Also, I need a negative covid test before flying. This test is the one I have a question about.  Is it acceptable to get a saliva-based RT-PCR test or does it have to be the hockey stick-in-the-nose style?  Here in Japan saliva tests are the most common, and also a lot easier to take!  

I have asked various clinics here and they don't know.  The Thai embassy has not responded so far either. So I throw myself on the kindness of strangers.  Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated!

• Like 1

It comes down to the laboratory you use. If they offer the saliva test, you would need to ask if they us the RT-PCR process of determination as this is the Thailand rule currently is an RT-PCR LABORATORY result. It is up to the laboratory how they collect it. I cannot endorse the following link... but this does indicate they provide an RT-PCR laboratory analysis... so this should qualify when you turn up at the airline for travel because the Thai rule on the embassy websites only indicate a not detected RT-PCR Laboratory test... it does not specify how that test is to be collected. Your paperwork needs to indicate a not detected RT-PCR test and you should be good to go. Call the airline and ask. 

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/chronomics

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

COVID-19 test result with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure --

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction and Requirements for the Phuket Sandbox from 1 October 2021 - Royal Thai Embassy, London

From the link... Apparently they are leaving this up to the airline? Interesting...

3. COVID-19 test result with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure -- Some airlines do not accept home kit tests so please check specific requirements with the airlines you are travelling with.

• Like 1

Thanks, I was planning to do it through a clinic as there really aren't any home test kits available here.  Just got my first stab as well, so that part is going smoothly at least.

Just checked the old files from our trip to the US (also needed a test). The clinic specified an RT-PCR test, date and time, and clinic official seal. So hopefully that will be enough for Thailand.

Edited by BeerIsLife
Found more relevant details

1 hour ago, BeerIsLife said:

Thanks, I was planning to do it through a clinic as there really aren't any home test kits available here.  Just got my first stab as well, so that part is going smoothly at least.

Just checked the old files from our trip to the US (also needed a test). The clinic specified an RT-PCR test, date and time, and clinic official seal. So hopefully that will be enough for Thailand.

I traveled into Thailand in September 2020 and the airline just needs to see an official looking clinic/laboratory document that simply says not detected by means of RT-PCR and the word laboratory. As long as that document says that, that is all you need. 

RT-PCR Test Result.jpg

I suspect that this administration out of desperation and greed will shortly be calling a halt to all testing requirements. It will be replaced by a tourist ranking system where the highest will be able to enter trouble free and so on until the quota limits are met. The basis for the ranking of course will be purely based on your wealth.

41 minutes ago, gummy said:

I suspect that this administration out of desperation and greed will shortly be calling a halt to all testing requirements. It will be replaced by a tourist ranking system where the highest will be able to enter trouble free and so on until the quota limits are met. The basis for the ranking of course will be purely based on your wealth.

"To complete your Thailand Pass application please provide your national ID number, your driver's license number, a copy of your credit report, your home address, phone number, email address, at least two credit cards, and at least two bank accounts. We'll be back in touch in about two weeks."

• Haha 1

I wrote to various embassies and consulates, and am waiting for responses. One did answer, from Los Angeles. They didn&t say directly which test, but just sent along a document which says "RT-PCR test" is required. So I assume the testing style isn't important. Will wait for others to reply...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Scuderia said:

Anyone got an update on this?

We plan to get the RT-PCT test on saliva for our child as well.

Admittedly it was late 2020 when I went through the loop jumping process of entering Thailand but got a saliva test done in Japan within 72 hours prior to departure and the Health Authorities in Thailand were OK with it.

• Like 1