News Forum - Burmese junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit

Thaiger

After many members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations expressed frustration at the Burmese junta seeming to brush off the actions agreed upon at a summit in April, the group is showing its ire by not inviting Burmese junta leader General Min Aung Hlaing to this month’s ASEAN summit. After an emergency meeting Friday, the decision was announced by ASEAN chair Brunei Darussalam, saying the ASEAN ministers had debated whether or not to include the de facto unelected leader who seized power in Myanmar in a coup February 1. The group decided instead to invite a non-political person to […]

The story Burmeses junta leader not invited to ASEAN summit as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These meetings are arranged so nations can work out their differences. How can discussions with Myanmar continue if they aren't invited.

The irony is the US, Russia, China, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan will meet with ASEAN nations at the East Asia Summit.

People and nations may not always agree but even among enemies it is very rude not to acknowledge them. 

Myanmar basically gave a middle finger of sorts to ASEAN this is a good time for it to explain its actions to fellow ASEAN countries. If ill intent is truly intended then by all means a swift kick in the pants would not go astray.

• Like 1

Think Myanmar may have insulted ASEAN and its representatives enough already to justify the cold shoulder.

I don't think Myanmar are ready to discuss anything with anyone yet, maybe down the track a bit when sanctions start hurting the Junta personally or they may want Myanmar to be another Nth Korea.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think Myanmar may have insulted ASEAN and its representatives enough already to justify the cold shoulder.

I don't think Myanmar are ready to discuss anything with anyone yet, maybe down the track a bit when sanctions start hurting the Junta personally or they may want Myanmar to be another Nth Korea.

We won't know now because they weren't invited. But apart from the snub there may very well be a second North Korea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

ASEAN is as useless as a chocolate teapot. The few regulations they do make aren't enforced.

The Free Trade Agreement between members to stop levying import tax is one. How come Beer Laos in Thailand never came down in price when the FTA started?
On the day it started, the Thai customs department duly stopped levying 'import duty' as per the agreement. They then introduced a 'special tax' of exactly the same rate the defunct import duty was set.

ASEAN's policy of 'non-interference in other members internal affairs' means they can't criticise other member countries.

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

ASEAN is as useless as a chocolate teapot. The few regulations they do make aren't enforced.

The Free Trade Agreement between members to stop levying import tax is one. How come Beer Laos in Thailand never came down in price when the FTA started?
On the day it started, the Thai customs department duly stopped levying 'import duty' as per the agreement. They then introduced a 'special tax' of exactly the same rate the defunct import duty was set.

ASEAN's policy of 'non-interference in other members internal affairs' means they can't criticise other member countries.

Surely it could be conceded that the Asean concept was based on trade issues rather than the more topical militant advantage aspects involved in global associations. That it has not provided any obvious results at public levels does not mean that at private levels it has not . It may even be possible that it has exacerbated some more remote concerns resulting in typical agitation in response to expectations of subgjcated compliance?

6 minutes ago, Johncat2 said:

ASEAN  should also ban Prayut and his military government

Well, 'not invite', 'ban' is such an ugly word. Not sure who has the party invites though.
Perhaps the ASEAN statute of limitations on coups expires after, say,  five years?

Further to my post where I mentioned that 'ASEAN is as useless as a chocolate teapot' and 'ASEAN's policy of 'non-interference in other members internal affairs' means they can't criticise other member countries.'

I see unsurprisingly Myanmar have quoted exactly what I said:
"The junta struck back late on Friday, accusing ASEAN of departing from its principals on consensus and non-interference. It refused to agree to send a politically neutral Myanmar representative instead of Min Aung Hlaing."
source:  https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/myanmar-says-its-committed-asean-peace-plan-despite-generals-snub-2021-10-24/     

18 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Further to my post where I mentioned that 'ASEAN is as useless as a chocolate teapot' and 'ASEAN's policy of 'non-interference in other members internal affairs' means they can't criticise other member countries.'

I see unsurprisingly Myanmar have quoted exactly what I said:
"The junta struck back late on Friday, accusing ASEAN of departing from its principals on consensus and non-interference. It refused to agree to send a politically neutral Myanmar representative instead of Min Aung Hlaing."
source:  https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/myanmar-says-its-committed-asean-peace-plan-despite-generals-snub-2021-10-24/     

Well, Reuters quoted what you said. What Myanmar said we'll never know.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, Johncat2 said:

ASEAN  should also ban Prayut and his military government

Can't do that. Who will be the jester to entertain the crowd then?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Can't do that. Who will be the jester to entertain the crowd then?

I'm sure plenty of people think of our illustrious leader when going past MacDonald's. They're just so similar.

jester.thumb.jpg.41c70fcc438e0fd0423c70d550fb2e55.jpg   RonaldMacDonald.thumb.jpg.cf7938ae62e8db36780d1d6a2f2dde46.jpg

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm sure plenty of people think of our illustrious leader when going past MacDonald's. They're just so similar.

jester.thumb.jpg.41c70fcc438e0fd0423c70d550fb2e55.jpg   RonaldMacDonald.thumb.jpg.cf7938ae62e8db36780d1d6a2f2dde46.jpg

Or perhaps a bit more evil? 

• Haha 1