T20 Cricket World Cup

Smithydog

On 10/18/2021 at 10:20 AM, gummy said:

Seems a good point. I'll kick it off and say South Africa will cause an upset. I have no basis at all for that, it's just I couldn't spell Afguinestan 😂

SA nearly did it to. Don't worry too much about the misspelling. Many others are keeping you company.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Great start to the Super 12 round. Was thinking we might even get a super over first up. Bowling and fielding for both sides was excellent and tied with the slow pitch, made it really hard for both teams.

Picking England to be too strong for the West Indies but you never know with them. They can often pull a surprise!

Good call. I'm actually picking England with India as favourites. For me these 2 look the best.

Another finals dress rehearsal tonight with India v Pakistan. This is another beauty coming up. The Indian top order are a force to be reckoned with.

New Zealand also a chance but I lean towards India in that group.  

The tight win for Australia last night has impacted on their net run rate, which may become an issue later on. In the opposite manner, England's absolute thrashing of the West Indies gave them a significant boost to start with.

Up first tonight, we have what I think could be a vey close game as Sri Lanka takes on Bangladesh. But the second one is where the most passion will be on display as India and Pakistan clash on a ground both are very familiar with.

My tips are Sri Lanka and India. But opening wins to Bangladesh and Pakistan would be far more interesting overall!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Interesting game between England and the Windies. Poms and the Indians making a statement early on. Agreed about the minnows. Bangladesh gave both Oz and the Kiwis are thumping on their home turf. Afghanistan has some genuine talent also.Rashid Khan (plays for Adelaide Strikers in the BBL) is amazing.

My new minnow though is Scotland. Be interesting to see how they go.

Mick when it comes to cricket I think the team talk before every game will be the same.

"Lets try and not get pumped".

Those guys are just genuinely playing the game for fun with no pressure on them. The bigger boys will rip them apart but no-one expects anything else.

They will tell their grandkids stories and dine out on all of this. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Mick when it comes to cricket I think the team talk before every game will be the same.

Those guys are just genuinely playing the game for fun with no pressure on them. The bigger boys will rip them apart but no-one expects anything else.

Copy that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Just curious but do you think that Pakistan could upset India?

• Like 1

If Pakistan are at the top of their game and India have an off day then sure. They have some very good players in that team. But India's "bounce" game against England (who are a good team as the West Indies found out) makes me think that India will win.

India has the advantage of having had the IPL for many years now and the experience and skills that has brought to the team is immense. With the money involved these Indian players are facing the best in the world on a weekly basis.

Ironically it was the IPL which first got me interested in cricket. And that only came about by accident. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If Pakistan are at the top of their game and India have an off day then sure. They have some very good players in that team. But India's "bounce" game against England (who are a good team as the West Indies found out) makes me think that India will win.

India has the advantage of having had the IPL for many years now and the experience and skills that has brought to the team is immense. With the money involved these Indian players are facing the best in the world on a weekly basis.

Ironically it was the IPL which first got me interested in cricket. And that only came about by accident. 

Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHewer said:

I’m all in for Bangladesh and Pakistan tonight…

Lets give the underdogs a chance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Never mind the underdogs tag @mickkotlarski, I’m going bullish here and think they’ll both win.

Big talk....let's see.

Bangladesh 171/4 off their 20 overs. Great start!

Sri Lanka 10/1 off 2 overs. Losing Perera cheaply is a bit of a blow to Sri Lanka.

• Like 1

Asalanka is carving them up! 27 runs off 13 balls. Strike rate 209!

16 runs off the 3rd over with 2 sixes. Can he keep it up?

Considering neither of these 2 batters are really noted hitters they are still having a big go. Great to see and watch. There goes another six!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Asalanka is carving them up! 27 runs off 13 balls. Strike rate 209!

16 runs off the 3rd over with 2 sixes. Can he keep it up?

Good start to the Sri Lankans but with 8 runs per over required they need to keep foot to the floor. 

Two quick wickets and Bangladesh are back on top. Good crowd and judging from the response a strong Bangladesh contingent is present!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Two quick wickets and Bangladesh are back on top. Good crowd and judging from the response a strong Bangladesh contingent is present!

Yes! But with 10 needed off 14 boots on the other foot. Still though the bowling side showed spirit. Good game.

57 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Sri Lankans through. Pakis won the toss and elected to put India in to bat first.

Here comes the slugfest.

Two great matches last night!

Up first, Sri Lanka reached the target of 171 with 5 balls remaining. Charith Aslanka was the key for Sri Lanka smashing an unbeaten 80 of 49 balls to anchor his side’s win. The ship was steadied, after losing a couple of quick wickets in the middle section of the run chase, with an 81 run partnership securing the win.

In the second match Shaheen Afridi’s key wickets of Sharma, Rahul and Kohli helped restrict India to 151/7 off their 20 overs. Then an unbeaten opening stand between Mohammad Rizwan (79 off 55) and Babar Azam (68 off 52) steered Pakistan to a 10 wicket win over India.

Tonight, Afghanistan plays Scotland and the West Indies will need to bat a lot better if they are to stay in touch with a win over South Africa. (My tips in bold)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Two great matches last night!

Up first, Sri Lanka reached the target of 171 with 5 balls remaining. Charith Aslanka was the key for Sri Lanka smashing an unbeaten 80 of 49 balls to anchor his side’s win. The ship was steadied, after losing a couple of quick wickets in the middle section of the run chase, with an 81 run partnership securing the win.

In the second match Shaheen Afridi’s key wickets of Sharma, Rahul and Kohli helped restrict India to 151/7 off their 20 overs. Then an unbeaten opening stand between Mohammad Rizwan (79 off 55) and Babar Azam (68 off 52) steered Pakistan to a 10 wicket win over India.

Tonight, Afghanistan plays Scotland and the West Indies will need to bat a lot better if they are to stay in touch with a win over South Africa. (My tips in bold)

Agree on the tips but still have a soft spot for this Scottish team.

• Like 1

Well a huge win by Afghanistan over Scotland has showed their strength in this style of competition. Once again a team batting performance from Afghanistan's top 4 saw them set Scotland a highly challenging score of 190/4 from their 20 overs. An equally superb bowling performance from Mujeeb Ur Rahman with 20/5 off 4 overs and Rashid Khan with 9/4 off 2.2 overs saw Scotland bundled out for 60 off 10.2 overs.

It was the sole game last night with the West Indies Vs South Africa game actually today. Later, Pakistan will play against New Zealand. I am concerned some minor injuries may hamper the NZ team. The confidence that the Pakistan team will have gained from beating India, along with the slow and low surfaces of Sharjah, may be the decisive difference between these closely ranked sides. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Agree on the tips but still have a soft spot for this Scottish team.

And we all thank you for the "Kiss of death" 😆

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Sometimes slience is the loudest statement. Sorry Scotland, should have kept quiet.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Windies scored 143 off their 20 overs but I dare not anymore statements and quite like both sides.

There is a disease called foot in mouth disease. This condition often affects middle aged South Aussie cricket fans such as yours truly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Haaa. Game over and South Africa won with 8 wickets left.....I can open my mouth again now.5555555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Windies scored 143 off their 20 overs but I dare not anymore statements and quite like both sides.

There is a disease called foot in mouth disease. This condition often affects middle aged South Aussie cricket fans such as yours truly.

Mate that condition affects us all not just South Aussie cricket fans.

• Haha 2