T20 Cricket World Cup

Smithydog

31 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

BH...I'm thinking we'll both give Pakistan the nod for today's games but if the fridge is to be further stocked I'm saying that South Africa will come out on top against Bangers. Should be close though.

No Mick, I think you’ll be staying on +2 in the beer department because once again (for better or worse) we’re on the same page.

• Haha 1

So it was all about Jos Buttler as he belted a brilliant 101 not out off 67 balls, leading England (163/4) to a 26 run win over Sri Lanka who were bowled out for 137, and giving a good net run rate boost by England.

What was noticeable was the early loss of wickets by England being 35/3 off the first 5.2 overs. Eion Morgan had some good time in the middle compiling 40 off 36 balls to play second string to the Buttler assault.

There was some good restrictive bowling at times by Sri Lanka, but simply not enough over time to make an impression. A lot of Sri Lankan batsmen managed good starts but were unable to continue to the bigger scores, as the English bowlers combined to restrict the run rate and take wickets on a regular basis.

The win effectively should secure England top spot in Group 1, especially considering their net run rate.

Action in both groups tonight as South Africa plays Bangladesh and Pakistan plays Namibia. My tips in bold but would love to see the underdogs come through!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Action in both groups tonight as South Africa plays Bangladesh and Pakistan plays Namibia. My tips in bold but would love to see the underdogs come through!

Agreed on both counts. Go the underdogs, I say.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BigHewer said:

No Mick, I think you’ll be staying on +2 in the beer department because once again (for better or worse) we’re on the same page.

Looks like we each bought a round. If the South Africans don't slip up then they'll join England in a quest for glory. Betting off today unless you think Willy Wallace can rise from the grave and motivate his countrymen.

Kiwis look good. Crunch game for my homeland against Bangladesh. Hope we can come through.

• Like 1

The challenge for South Africa is that the only game they have remaining is against England! They will have to overcome a formidable side to get to 8 points and in doing so, build on a currently reachable net run rate. Pretty hard to do. So next would be to try and not lose badly dropping their net run rate.

Australia has 2 games remaining, both of which are there for them to win and boost their net run rate in the process. They play Bangladesh and West Indies, both of whom have beaten them in the past. Their form is shaky, but playing to capability, they can beat both and boost their net run rate at the same time. 

Looks like a few interesting remaining games in Group 1!

In Group 2, the biggest test for Afghanistan’s chances happens tonight when they play India. Pakistan’s win over Namibia went as expected although I thought the Namibians did very well in their chase of one of the larger totals in the competition so far.

Usually I would back India for the win tonight, but I don’t know if Kohli can lift his team out of the mindset they seemed to have been in. They look tired and uninterested. Afghanistan are on a high, are confident in their team and skills, and simply seem to have more desire to win. Will India bounce back? Makes for an interesting game.  

In the other game tonight, New Zealand have the chance to solidify their position on the table with a win over Scotland. On form it suggests a potentially solid win and net run rate boost for the Kiwis. Can Scotland click and bring another upset in this group? We shall see!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Scotland going well so far but 175 is hard target against NZ. Spoke to soon as I was typing lost 1st wicket.

It's nearly 18 0vers gone by and for a minnow to have a RR over 7 against a test playing nation is a good effort. We all expected the Kiwis to win but good on the Scots for having a go!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

It's nearly 18 0vers gone by and for a minnow to have a RR over 7 against a test playing nation is a good effort. We all expected the Kiwis to win but good on the Scots for having a go!

Kiwis have the game in hand. No upset happening here.

But I believe the Scottish players will have enjoyed their time in this tournament playing against top opposition.

Well done them.

Its just disappointing we will not be able to beat England in the final 😆

• Haha 2

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Kiwis have the game in hand. No upset happening here.

But I believe the Scottish players will have enjoyed their time in this tournament playing against top opposition.

Well done them.

Its just disappointing we will not be able to beat England in the final 😆

Never mind there is always curling

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Never mind there is always curling

Gummy, Rookiescot and BigHewer. Could it be India packing their bags early should Afghanistan fire?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Gummy, Rookiescot and BigHewer. Could it be India packing their bags early should Afghanistan fire?

Oh I have given up with predictions. Who in their right mind would listen to a Scot talk about cricket anyway.

Having said that India have been somewhat disappointing so far and Afghanistan are batting way above their historical records would suggest.

Going for an Indian win just because their experience in this kind of cricket says they should. Their batsmen just need a decent knock. It has to come at some time.

• Like 1

India off to a flyer. 23/0 off first 2 overs. Looks like they may be more switched on tonight.

Mujeeb is a huge loss for the Afghanistan side, especially in those middle overs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Of course forgot that.

World champions mate. Of course its only natural given how many wild elephants we have in Scotland. Bloody nuisance if I'm honest.

There you are getting yourself ready for a nice day Haggis hunting and you cant get a damned thing done because a herd of them are following you.

Should be a cull. Or ship them all off to Australia. They dont have any apparently. 

Or maybe Canada.

Anywhere but Scotland really.

Just now, Rookiescot said:

World champions mate. Of course its only natural given how many wild elephants we have in Scotland. Bloody nuisance if I'm honest.

There you are getting yourself ready for a nice day Haggis hunting and you cant get a damned thing done because a herd of them are following you.

Should be a cull. Or ship them all off to Australia. They dont have any apparently. 

Or maybe Canada.

Anywhere but Scotland really.

I'll put in a trunk call to the Ozzie PM to ask if he wants them 

1 minute ago, gummy said:

I'll put in a trunk call to the Ozzie PM to ask if he wants them 

Apparently they are already packing them.

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Fly them there on a Jumbo perhaps

Have you never seen that documentary called "Dumbo"?

They can fly themselves there. 

Bangladesh batting first and have lost 5 quick wickets being 33/5 after 6.1 overs against Australia. The strength in their batting has been in the top 4 and they are all gone with the latest wicket falling as I was typing!

• Like 2

The second game tonight is the West Indies vs Sri Lanka. It is the final Super 12 game for Sri Lanka and hence will see their farewell from the competition as with one win from 4 games played, they cannot reach the second spot.

It is mathematically possible for the West Indies to grab second spot but they would need a heck of a lot of luck and other results to go their way even if they can overcome both Sri Lanka and Australia and substantially build their net run rate.

9 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Bangladesh batting first and have lost 5 quick wickets being 33/5 after 6.1 overs against Australia. The strength in their batting has been in the top 4 and they are all gone with the latest wicket falling as I was typing!

Its a massacre, well you know what I mean