News Forum - Police say they know who cut the rope of dangling condo workers

Thaiger

If yesterday’s story about a worker who was rescued from the 26th floor of a condo in Nonthaburi after his safety rope was allegedly cut left you hanging, new information has been revealed. Police investigating the incident say they know who cut the rope that left the painters dangling high above the street on the side of the condo, unable to get down. The story had gone viral after videos were posted to TikTok by the couple in the 26th-floor apartment that opened their windows and rescued the 2 workers after they were stranded when someone allegedly cut their safety […]

The story Police say they know who cut the rope of dangling condo workers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Boy, if she could do that to a rope and leave a poor innocent guy dangling, you probably would be living in total fear being here husband or boyfriend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Difficult to tell from the pictures, but it looks as if they were being sensible and using two ropes - safety and main - while I've seen plenty here using just one.

... and that's 100% a cut, not frayed.

My wife runs a painting business and one type of work she does is high rise buildings.

This story doesn't add up.

Normally there are two ropes; the primary rope and the safety rope.  The primary rope has a manual brake mechanism operated by the worker.  The safety rope has an automatic brake that operates if the rate of descent exceeds a certain speed as may occur if there were a failure in the primary system or the worker became incapacitated or some other circumstances.

Cutting the safety rope would make no difference to the workers ability to control their descent.  They could work and descend perfectly normally using just the primary system.  By contrast cutting the primary rope would mean that the worker would drop a few metres with the G forces involved being controlled by the design of the safety system.  Upon halting uninjured they would then have to be rescued.

If this incident was due to ropes being cut the reporting suggests to me that it would have been the primary ropes.

But there is another possibility.  Industry standard equipment for this type of work is Petzl hardware and Beal rope.  Both are made in France and they are derived from mountain climbing.  That is what we use and it is very expensive.  I looked at the photos with the initial reporting of this incident and it certainly isn't Beal and Petzl.  I have no idea what it is.  The photos were not that clear.  So I would add equipment failure into the equation as a possibility.

I have seen all sorts of weird and wonderful equipment used to do this type of work in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

My wife runs a painting business and one type of work she does is high rise buildings.

This story doesn't add up.

Normally there are two ropes; the primary rope and the safety rope.  The primary rope has a manual brake mechanism operated by the worker.  The safety rope has an automatic brake that operates if the rate of descent exceeds a certain speed as may occur if there were a failure in the primary system or the worker became incapacitated or some other circumstances.

Cutting the safety rope would make no difference to the workers ability to control their descent.  They could work and descend perfectly normally using just the primary system.  By contrast cutting the primary rope would mean that the worker would drop a few metres with the G forces involved being controlled by the design of the safety system.  Upon halting uninjured they would then have to be rescued.

If this incident was due to ropes being cut the reporting suggests to me that it would have been the primary ropes.

But there is another possibility.  Industry standard equipment for this type of work is Petzl hardware and Beal rope.  Both are made in France and they are derived from mountain climbing.  That is what we use and it is very expensive.  I looked at the photos with the initial reporting of this incident and it certainly isn't Beal and Petzl.  I have no idea what it is.  The photos were not that clear.  So I would add equipment failure into the equation as a possibility.

I have seen all sorts of weird and wonderful equipment used to do this type of work in Thailand.

Agree with you that it could have been the main rope that was cut rather than the safety, but there's nothing wrong with the equipment they're using.

Beal's no better than any other quality 11mm kernmantle rope, which this is, and the descenders they're using are perfectly standard - one has a rack descender, the other a fig-8 - and they're both using screw-gate caribiners and have standard ascenders, as well as what look like standard industrial sit-harnesses.

It's impossible to tell if they're Petzl or not, but there are plenty of other quality companies around. 

The kit might be old, it's impossible to tell, but that rope's been cut and there's no equipment failure there.

(and before the normal flood of 'google' comments, I've never run a painting company but I'm a reasonably  well qualified and experienced climber so very familiar with this type of equipment).

So glad he didnt fall to his death with a cut rope. Someone is up to no good and wonder who would do such a thing to a worker. Were they trying to kill the man ?

1 hour ago, Shane said:

So glad he didnt fall to his death with a cut rope. Someone is up to no good and wonder who would do such a thing to a worker. Were they trying to kill the man ?

Perhaps it was a jolly jape?

Obviously there was likely to be a death, unless it was their H&S doing a spot check?

In which case, job done!

There have been more updates online from hilight.kapook.com.
The workman said while he was suspended on the rope on the 32 floor, he felt it go taut. He looked down and saw a hand sticking out from the 21st floor and cutting it and the rope falling to the ground. He caught a glimpse of the person and it was an approximately '40 year-old woman'.
Afterwards he went down to confront her and she said she had done it because he had 'threatened her'.
The local police said they know the identity of the rope cutter. She is a 34 year-old woman living on the 21st floor of the condo and has a history of making vexacious and hoax calls to the police. She phones several times a month and they know her voice as soon as they pick up the phone.
When they went round to question her, she refused to cooperate and took out her mobile phone and started filming them, denying any involvement and threatening to sue them.
Police are waiting on laboratory analysis of the rope but have grounds to charge her with damage to property and attempted murder.
Police say they have witnesses and CCTV footage and have applied to the courts for an arrest warrant to bring her in for questioning.

• Like 3