News Forum - MEA says electrical wires seen in Crowe tweet are not theirs

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well of course our Thai friends realised that is well when they start putting cables under the road, especially in Pattaya. They are for more far sight then the British so instead of one gang one week digging up the road and then another gang another week the Thais with their always evident foresight just leave the trenches they dug uncovered and never back filled. This gives the opportunity for secondary works later without requiring the road dug up again. Not stupid these Thais. Well apart from the motorcyclists who ride into the uncovered trenches of course, or the pedestrians that almost drown when the road is flooded and don't realise the water in the trench is 2 mtrs  deep.😂

That brings back memories of the first time I came to Thailand. October 1990 and the rain was incessant.
I was in Bangkok walking along the pavement while talking to a girl I met. I was on the inside nearest the buildings. The entire road was flooded, about six inches of water.
As we were walking, I suddenly dropped down about two feet into even more water.
Turned out that outside the building we were passing was an ornamental fish pond. Impossible to see due to the flooding.
The girl was really concerned - she couldn't stop laughing.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

That brings back memories of the first time I came to Thailand. October 1990 and the rain was incessant.
I was in Bangkok walking along the pavement while talking to a girl I met. I was on the inside nearest the buildings. The entire road was flooded, about six inches of water.
As we were walking, I suddenly dropped down about two feet into even more water.
Turned out that outside the building we were passing was an ornamental fish pond. Impossible to see due to the flooding.

Was she wearing a white T-shirt in the rain ?

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

Was she wearing a white T-shirt in the rain ?

I don't know if it started out white, but It was grey after the rain.

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Reminds me of the Sheerness to Vlissingen Olau ferry we used to take. When the alarm sounded at 6am, I turned on the light and at the same time saw my girlfriend pass me and fall to the floor. She jumped out of bed and forgot she was in the top bunk. Like roadkill...

Fortunately she was fine, and really bad, but I couldn't stop laughing either ☺️

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Reminds me of the Sheerness to Vlissingen Olau ferry we used to take. When the alarm sounded at 6am, I turned on the light and at the same time saw my girlfriend pass me and fall to the floor. She jumped out of bed and forgot she was in the top bunk. Like roadkill...

Fortunately she was fine, and really bad, but I couldn't stop laughing either ☺️

I'm still laughing now!
Thanks.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, similar as to how they leave the drain-covers at the old level when they raise the road surface 10cm 🤣 great for your suspension!

But seriously, the foundations are usually concrete. Why not poor the concrete around a pipe or put one underneath the slab at 50m distance from each other and use them as and when? Not just here, but anywhere.

Although we are making light of some of this. You and @gummy raise some very interesting points. One of the most valuable assets a cable company holds is the holes (ductwork) under the ground. If councils had any idea, they would install proper telco ducts with appropriate gas seals and sell or lease the duct space to utilities. In the U.K. Network Rail (the company responsible for the rail infrastructure and stations) generate massive incomes by leasing duct space or even allowing telcos to use fibre optic cable they have installed. It’s a process called “dark fibre leasing” and is a lucrative business. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Although we are making light of some of this. You and @gummy raise some very interesting points. One of the most valuable assets a cable company holds is the holes (ductwork) under the ground. If councils had any idea, they would install proper telco ducts with appropriate gas seals and sell or lease the duct space to utilities. In the U.K. Network Rail (the company responsible for the rail infrastructure and stations) generate massive incomes by leasing duct space or even allowing telcos to use fibre optic cable they have installed. It’s a process called “dark fibre leasing” and is a lucrative business. 

Going back to my time at BT, I remember reading that 75% of their assets were in underground cable.

Just now, Bluesofa said:

Going back to my time at BT, I remember reading that 75% of their assets were in underground cable.

Yes I would imagine that’s the case. When you stop and think about it, it’s strange that in some cases it’s not even the pipes or cables in the pipes that’s of value, it’s the actual space in the pipes that they can then lease out to third parties. It’s the same when a city places a new road bridge over a waterway, if only they considered dropping a couple of telco ducts in to the bridge, they could recover some decent amount money. Interesting stuff how you can make money out of fresh air 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Just as well you didn't say your name was Jesus eh .. Should've got yourself a pair of these Mr Sofa .. 

IMG_20211017_171757.jpg

• Haha 1

Never fails to amaze me how so many are critical of what they moved away from to what they moved away to! Or those who came and went (Yet come and went again! ) Does it help to feel superior?

56 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Just as well you didn't say your name was Jesus eh .. Should've got yourself a pair of these Mr Sofa .. 

IMG_20211017_171757.jpg

After my cycling accident, perhaps I could be known as 'christ on a bike'.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, JamesE said:

If they were going for realism it would have looked like this:

What amazes me [electrical engineer by trade] is that there aren't more power outages, especially, with the weather we have had the last few weeks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ted said:

What amazes me [electrical engineer by trade] is that there aren't more power outages, especially, with the weather we have had the last few weeks

It's amazing that anything works here..

On 10/17/2021 at 12:17 PM, Thaiger said:

While Russell Crowe’s tweets while filming his new movie in Thailand caused a stir on Thai social media, winning praise from PM Prayut Chan-o-cha and Phuket Sandbox authorities, one group was not nearly as enthused about his posts. The Metropolitan Electric Authority in Bangkok released a statement defending itself after Crowe posted a photo captioned “Bangkok Dreaming” that depicted Thailand’s infamous jumble of sparking electrical wiring. The post had garnered tons of responses and retweets with the hashtag “Welcome To Bangkok” trending, though many intended the greeting to be backhanded. The picture was used to simultaneously welcome the actor while […]

The story MEA says electrical wires seen in Crowe tweet are not theirs as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Only THE TALIBAN will come forth and claim credit!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, JamesE said:

Definitely not Thai grade wiring. They're stretched tight, no loops, none are wire-tied to its neighbor, they're all of uniform gauge, they're all up where you can't touch them. Something's definitely wrong. Probably a set piece strung up to resemble Thai wiring but placed to the production company's liability insurance standards.

If they were going for realism it would have looked like this:

WP_20180408_13_44_16_Rich.jpg

Every picture tells a story.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:17 AM, Thaiger said:

While Russell Crowe’s tweets while filming his new movie in Thailand caused a stir on Thai social media, winning praise from PM Prayut Chan-o-cha and Phuket Sandbox authorities, one group was not nearly as enthused about his posts. The Metropolitan Electric Authority in Bangkok released a statement defending itself after Crowe posted a photo captioned “Bangkok Dreaming” that depicted Thailand’s infamous jumble of sparking electrical wiring. The post had garnered tons of responses and retweets with the hashtag “Welcome To Bangkok” trending, though many intended the greeting to be backhanded. The picture was used to simultaneously welcome the actor while […]

The story MEA says electrical wires seen in Crowe tweet are not theirs as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They look mostly like telecoms cables -  probably mostly non functional as a lot of BKK now fibred and underground.  But telecoms saving money by not removing them.  Maybe some industrious startup can go out there in the middle of the night with a trusty ammeter and remove the ones not carrying current.

2 hours ago, RWD said:

They look mostly like telecoms cables -  probably mostly non functional as a lot of BKK now fibred and underground.  But telecoms saving money by not removing them.  Maybe some industrious startup can go out there in the middle of the night with a trusty ammeter and remove the ones not carrying current.

British Telecom used to have a policy of recovering old and tidying overhead cables.
It used to be days when engineers in that job sphere had some spare time, they were sent to check on the situation and recover anything not in use.

Here it's up to Bill Gates to organise by causing a loss of face for the higher-ups.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:06 AM, Thommo said:

Just goes to show what happens when you forget to pay your tea money

In my country if wiring was put up like this the authorities would impose a heavy fine and maybe prison  and have the owners of this obvious dangerous rectify this immediately. Thailand it seems to say  its not ours seems good enough problem solved.