News Forum - Krabi tourism businesses not thrilled about Thailand’s reopening

Thaiger

9 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

It would good, if the Thaiger, emailed the comments section of this forum, to the PM directly.

He would see for himself, that comment after comment, is totally unimpressed by his governments handling of tourism and plans for reopening. 

The Thaiger should request a no holes barred interview with him everyday until it draws a satisfactory result, the result of any such request should be printed, so that his intransigence is put on display. If successful, he could then be put on a hook, and an attempt to hold his feet to the fire be made. Never mind this saving face crap.

They should also petition He who must not be spoken of.

These people want showing up for the incompetent, privileged leaches that they are.

Oh, I've just woken up and found me head my cornflakes, nice dream.

Pm does not listen at all to the people, so why you think he will read it

• Like 1

During low season Krabi is always quiet, I watched a video some farang did a road trip the place has died of a thousand deaths people just dont have the money to reinvest to open their business,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Don't forget everyone commenting on this feed will be subject to deportation and 10 year ban on arrival, for critcising the Thai government, ALLEGEDLY. 

Oh another Clown. Did you ever read what is going on in the Thai social media daily? Millions of commenting daily against the government!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Don't forget everyone commenting on this feed will be subject to deportation and 10 year ban on arrival, for critcising the Thai government, ALLEGEDLY. 

Actually, only those posting misinformation, such as you.

19 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Wow someone in tourism finally talking sence. He is obviously not part of TAT or the government, shame they won't listen...

He's really talking about bars being closed. Probably is a bar owner. Of course the source is Pattaya news, so go figure.

17 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Can’t blame them. They already know November will be a trickle at best. Makes sense to not spend a bunch of money to open now and wait for tourists that are a month or two away. 

They already know and planned for November to be a trickle. That’s the point.

Thailand is open for business. The Thai government is progressing and our economy is on the rise once again. We are leading the way in SE Asia so invest with us. Don’t worry people, we know it has been hard but the end is in sight, bear with us just a little longer. Life is returning to normal. 

Shssss 🤫🤫

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A prominent local tourism operator in Krabi is speaking out, saying the tourism businesses in Krabi don’t like or want the reopening Thailand has planned for November 1. He asserts that interest from tourists, businesses that can afford to reopen, and vaccinations among locals are all lacking. The operator said that despite the government’s rosy predictions, he fears that not as many international travellers will be flocking to Thailand in its current state. With bars and activities banned, along with many small businesses closed either temporarily or permanently, there’s not much to attract tourists in any meaningful numbers to Krabi. […]

The story Krabi tourism businesses not thrilled about Thailand’s reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A prominent local tourism operator, is most likely only interested in getting his bar reopened. Other activities will do fine. Some tourists are only interested in beer. Others don't  care.

23 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

It would good, if the Thaiger, emailed the comments section of this forum, to the PM directly.

He would see for himself, that comment after comment, is totally unimpressed by his governments handling of tourism and plans for reopening. 

The Thaiger should request a no holes barred interview with him everyday until it draws a satisfactory result, the result of any such request should be printed, so that his intransigence is put on display. If successful, he could then be put on a hook, and an attempt to hold his feet to the fire be made. Never mind this saving face crap.

They should also petition He who must not be spoken of.

These people want showing up for the incompetent, privileged leaches that they are.

Oh, I've just woken up and found me head my cornflakes, nice dream.

I am still surprised that farangs living in Thailand think they have a voice and people are listening to them, no you have no public voice and you can not vote.

You can comment on sites like this where farangs are discussing/complaining with other farangs and other things in between but not in public.

I am not being sarcastic but when I am in Thailand for six months to one year per visit (pre-covid) I know what I am, I am a farang who pays his way, has no rights but the right to have a good time and I know that and so I operates within that framework, I can not change anything there neither can you so accept it and enjoy life.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am still surprised that farangs living in Thailand think they have a voice and people are listening to them, no you have no public voice and you can not vote.

You can comment on sites like this where farangs are discussing/complaining with other farangs and other things in between but not in public.

I am not being sarcastic but when I am in Thailand for six months to one year per visit (pre-covid) I know what I am, I am a farang who pays his way, has no rights but the right to have a good time and I know that and so I operates within that framework, I can not change anything there neither can you so accept it and enjoy life.

Ah the dreams of the farang........

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Ah the dreams of the farang........

Yeah Ferangs in Thailand are like Chinese citizens in China no voice and no control of the country you live in. The only real difference is Ferangs in Thailand can enjoy a free life...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, EdwardV said:

Can’t blame them. They already know November will be a trickle at best. Makes sense to not spend a bunch of money to open now and wait for tourists that are a month or two away. 

Agreed. For a November 1 opening, all plans should be clear and finalized at this point. And certainly ratified in the Royal Gazette.

1 hour ago, Griff1315 said:

Yeah Ferangs in Thailand are like Chinese citizens in China no voice and no control of the country you live in. The only real difference is Ferangs in Thailand can enjoy a free life...

"....can enjoy a free life..."

You mean the girlfriends and wives of farangs can enjoy a free life. 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

After visiting for 36 years two or three times a year, and a spell living in the country, I'm fully aware of how we farangs are viewed. 😉🤣

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

After visiting for 36 years two or three times a year, and a spell living in the country, I'm fully aware of how we farangs are viewed. 😉🤣

Yes, just below the street dogs and slightly above the rats (on a good day) 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

By the government and hisos or other wannabees but not by most normal Thais fortunately

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

It really depends on you. If you are polite by Thai norms and speak polite Thai you'll be accepted at most levels. If not they will avoid you, unless they just want a payday. It's not that different from other places, in that rude people are avoided.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

It really depends on you. If you are polite by Thai norms and speak polite Thai you'll be accepted at most levels. If not they will avoid you, unless they just want a payday. It's not that different from other places, in that rude people are avoided.

Well I agree that if you are objectionable then people everywhere will treat you with contempt. However, as someone who always aims to be respectful and polite wherever I am, I do see Thais being more dismissive, or perhaps scared of foreigners. I believe some of what people see is in fact fear. The fear the foreigner may start speaking to them in a foreign language they can’t understand. This is most noticeable in areas away from tourist areas or around Bangkok. 

I would also add, that although I do speak a reasonable level of Thai, that shouldn’t come in to how foreigners are regarded. This is especially true in a country that relies heavily on tourism, and is now part of an interconnected world where English is the de-facto international language . You wouldn’t, or at least shouldn’t  expect a tourist to be able to speak Thai. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well I agree that if you are objectionable then people everywhere will treat you with contempt. However, as someone who always aims to be respectful and polite wherever I am, I do see Thais being more dismissive, or perhaps scared of foreigners. I believe some of what people see is in fact fear. The fear the foreigner may start speaking to them in a foreign language they can’t understand. This is most noticeable in areas away from tourist areas or around Bangkok. 

I would also add, that although I do speak a reasonable level of Thai, that shouldn’t come in to how foreigners are regarded. This is especially true in a country that relies heavily on tourism, and is now part of an interconnected world where English is the de-facto international language . You wouldn’t, or at least shouldn’t  expect a tourist to be able to speak Thai. 

I agree with you and think it's good you speak Thai.  I've found that speaking Thai makes it easier on everyone. I also agree that Thais working in tourist areas should learn an acceptable level of English.  If they want to work in these areas they need it.

A few years ago, I was in a home improvement store. The girl working there started speaking good English and I didn't expect it. I asked how she learned to speak so well and she told me that as a student at CMU she worked evening at the night bazaar so she could practice with foreigners. I told her she needed to be a teacher and share her skills, but she said that this was her families business, so she had to stay.

Also many Thais might be able to understand and speak, but are too self conscious to try. Especially students, I ask in Thai if they speak English. The standard answer is "a little". I proceed slowly and frequently the do OK.  I reassure them that they are doing good and some open up and are pretty good. Going slow and choosing words they might understand is key. 

Likewise, when Thais ask if I speak Thai I usually same a little. Then after a while they frequently say, wow you speak a lot or very well. 

14 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I agree with you and think it's good you speak Thai.  I've found that speaking Thai makes it easier on everyone. I also agree that Thais working in tourist areas should learn an acceptable level of English.  If they want to work in these areas they need it.

A few years ago, I was in a home improvement store. The girl working there started speaking good English and I didn't expect it. I asked how she learned to speak so well and she told me that as a student at CMU she worked evening at the night bazaar so she could practice with foreigners. I told her she needed to be a teacher and share her skills, but she said that this was her families business, so she had to stay.

Also many Thais might be able to understand and speak, but are too self conscious to try. Especially students, I ask in Thai if they speak English. The standard answer is "a little". I proceed slowly and frequently the do OK.  I reassure them that they are doing good and some open up and are pretty good. Going slow and choosing words they might understand is key. 

Likewise, when Thais ask if I speak Thai I usually same a little. Then after a while they frequently say, wow you speak a lot or very well. 

Yes I agree. I find many Thais do speak English but are too shy to speak it directly with a native English speaker. Many times I’ve been in a taxi and asked if they speak English only to be told “No I’m sorry I don’t speak English” in English!! Most foreigners I know who have lived in Thailand for more than 5 years couldn’t say the equivalent in Thai if asked do they speak Thai.  😬

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

If you are polite by Thai norms and speak polite Thai you'll be accepted at most levels

Couldnt agree more. I wonder about all the complainers who feel victimised and say farangs are under a street dog etc. 

My experience here is I often get treated better than the average Thai sometimes by some people in some situations.

Some blokes marry a tattoed hooker, are shower shy and can't string a polite sentence together after living here for years but think that the red carpet should be rolled out for them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Couldnt agree more. I wonder about all the complainers who feel victimised and say farangs are under a street dog etc. 

My experience here is I often get treated better than the average Thai sometimes by some people in some situations.

Some blokes marry a tattoed hooker, are shower shy and can't string a polite sentence together after living here for years but think that the red carpet should be rolled out for them.

Lots of “some in there! Some blokes don’t even know when some of the women they are married to have been hookers in some previous life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree. I find many Thais do speak English but are too shy to speak it directly with a native English speaker. Many times I’ve been in a taxi and asked if they speak English only to be told “No I’m sorry I don’t speak English” in English!! Most foreigners I know who have lived in Thailand for more than 5 years couldn’t say the equivalent in Thai if asked do they speak Thai.  😬

“No I’m sorry I don’t speak English” 

Because that is the only English most of them can speak except for of course ''200 hundred baht'' for example, that is why they are taxi drivers.

But when negotiation the price and stating my destination and telling the driver it is not far, I do that in Thai so he does not think I am a "I have just got off the plane tourist" and thus not charge me too much.