English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

17 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Very sound reasoning. Just keep in mind it was only Arsenal (who might just have enough to stay up) . 

But my beloved Toon… Fair enough. They can’t buy a win at the moment (and believe me, they have the money 💰😁)

Just coming up on the wire now the Steve Bruce has left Newcastle by mutual consent .. you gotta feel for him as he was always on a hiding to nothing once the take over was confirmed .. I wish him all the best and hope he takes a bit of time out to holiday up and recharge his batteries before going forward with another club .. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Just coming up on the wire now the Steve Bruce has left Newcastle by mutual consent .. you gotta feel for him as he was always on a hiding to nothing once the take over was confirmed .. I wish him all the best and hope he takes a bit of time out to holiday up and recharge his batteries before going forward with another club .. 

Right, maybe he shows up in LOS 😃

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

At least, Mansour gave Hughes plenty of use of the chequebook before he was shown the door. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

I wish him all the best and hope he takes a bit of time out to holiday up and recharge his batteries before going forward with another club .. 

Could be a job opening up out Norfolk way before Xmas.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Yea Norwich have been super loyal to D F but the course they are set on at present is back to the championship and there's a danger of getting tagged a yo-yo club if that occurs so it may be that a change in the dugout comes soon to try and avert going through the trap door back to the champ'ship

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Yea Norwich have been super loyal to D F but the course they are set on at present is back to the championship and there's a danger of getting tagged a yo-yo club if that occurs so it may be that a change in the dugout comes soon to try and avert going through the trap door back to the champ'ship

It must be wearing on the man himself. Blitz it in the Championship, go up, get smashed, go back down and blitz it again, come back up again hardened for the battle this time… oh wait

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigHewer said:
18 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

I wish him all the best and hope he takes a bit of time out to holiday up and recharge his batteries before going forward with another club .. 

Another club, another job?     Judging from yesterday's Guardian report, SB has said that, primarily for the sake of wife and family, he has said that he will 'now retire' . . . 'enough is enough' was the tenour of his comments and who can blame him, espec with a likely big 'gratuity' coming his way from Ashley . . . 7M, in fact, which isn't bad for 'retiring' on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/20/steve-bruce-leaves-newcastle-united-as-new-owners-hunt-for-manager?utm_term=12cd0b587b1a01d7c510461a1b5dff3f&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Come on Gerrard, come on!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Another club, another job?     Judging from yesterday's Guardian report, SB has said that, primarily for the sake of wife and family, he has said that he will 'now retire' . . . 'enough is enough' was the tenour of his comments and who can blame him, espec with a likely big 'gratuity' coming his way from Ashley . . . 7M, in fact, which isn't bad for 'retiring' on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/20/steve-bruce-leaves-newcastle-united-as-new-owners-hunt-for-manager?utm_term=12cd0b587b1a01d7c510461a1b5dff3f&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

Come on Gerrard, come on!!

I think you might be right KC based on the comments from the man himself.

It’s interesting how some managers not far removed from playing themselves are often a better option for a demoralized group. Gerrard would be great, but would it be viewed as a dress rehearsal for his ultimate managerial ambition (to one day take over from a certain German chap)? 🧐

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

It’s interesting how some managers not far removed from playing themselves are often a better option for a demoralized group. Gerrard would be great, but would it be viewed as a dress rehearsal for his ultimate managerial ambition (to one day take over from a certain German chap)? 🧐

Fair comment, @BigHewer, but how long do you envisage JK staying on for?

I think another five years - successful, of course - might persuade him that 'The Reds' chapter may have reached a good end-point and I'd think that AS and the other Toon directors would consider SG's 5-year contract/commitment as good business . . . and certainly good tactics, especially from their supporters' viewpoint. Boy, would they embrace Gerrard at SJP?

Food for thought, eh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigHewer said:

It must be wearing on the man himself. Blitz it in the Championship, go up, get smashed, go back down and blitz it again, come back up again hardened for the battle this time… oh wait

Such is the gulf in class 'tween the Championship and Prem' now .. even the teams that get through their first season back up in the top flight can get caught out in the 2nd , Sheff' Utd being one of the most recent .. Leeds who appeared quite comfortable on their return are now looking a bit susceptible to getting drawn in to this season's relegation zone also ..  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Such is the gulf in class 'tween the Championship and Prem' now .. even the teams that get through their first season back up in the top flight can get caught out in the 2nd , Sheff' Utd being one of the most recent .. Leeds who appeared quite comfortable on their return are now looking a bit susceptible to getting drawn in to this season's relegation zone also ..  

You don't really need to look at the Championship to see the gulf in class. For years, there was the monopoly of the Sky 4 who were perennial entrants into the CL. In the past 10 yrs, they have been joined by Spurs and City to be named as the "Big 6". But until last season, you could expect to find in any season, at least 5 of those 6 in the top 6 PL end of season table, and even all 6 on more than one occasion.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, BigHewer said:

This is what the BBC Sport poll is showing, with Antonio Conte the current favourite . . .

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58851494

I'm hoping that the link will enable interested posters to cast their own verdict.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

This is what the BBC Sport poll is showing, with Antonio Conte the current favourite . . .

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58851494

I'm hoping that the link will enable interested posters to cast their own verdict.

What? No mention of Nuno in that illustrious list?  Levy will be pleased to hear that he doesn't have to replace him, especially as he was more like a Mike Bassett appointment (nobody else wanted the job). But Spurs fans may disagree with Levy.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

What? No mention of Nuno in that illustrious list?  Levy will be pleased to hear that he doesn't have to replace him, especially as he was more like a Mike Bassett appointment (nobody else wanted the job). But Spurs fans may disagree with Levy.

I've decided what I want for Xmas: Newcs to sign Nuno.

6 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Hey, @JohninDubin, what have you got against the Toon? For your Nuno 'sentence', it must be pretty heartfelt :classic_sad: !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Thanks, Haha, Cool, Sad. Angry, Like…

I can’t seem to find the icon for “Oh please God No” 😁

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Hey, @JohninDubin, what have you got against the Toon? For your Nuno 'sentence', it must be pretty heartfelt :classic_sad: !

Nothing against Newcs. I just want him out of my beloved club. 

Yesterday, he played an entire "second string" so that he could "rest" players for the Wet Sham game. We lost, and it looks like we have to win all 3 remaining games to win the group. Winning gets automatic qualification for the last 16. If we finish second, we then have to play an extra two games when we could be resting players. The two opponents: City and Leeds (or EFL Final). 

Talk about "making a rod for your own back". 

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

On 10/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, BigHewer said:

was the tenour of his comments and who can blame him, espec with a likely big 'gratuity' coming his way from Ashley . . . 7M, in fact, which isn't bad for 'retiring' on.

Yea! But he will have to pay tax on that.

I think Steve Bruce should take over at United.

Is big Sam still around?

Edited by snapdragon
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, King Cotton said:

Fair comment, @BigHewer, but how long do you envisage JK staying on for?

I think another five years - successful, of course - might persuade him that 'The Reds' chapter may have reached a good end-point and I'd think that AS and the other Toon directors would consider SG's 5-year contract/commitment as good business . . . and certainly good tactics, especially from their supporters' viewpoint. Boy, would they embrace Gerrard at SJP?

I hope you’re right because he’s good for the game. JK might start getting a bit homesick before then, though.

• Cool 1

9 hours ago, snapdragon said:

Yea! But he will have to pay tax on that.

I think Steve Bruce should take over at United.

Is big Sam still around?

Not sure about that. Compensation for "loss of office" is usually tax free.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:57 AM, BigHewer said:

Chelsea blew them away 7 - 0 in the early game .. can't see the Norwich board allowing these sort of result to continue much longer .. 

4 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Chelsea blew them away 7 - 0 in the early game .. can't see the Norwich board allowing these sort of result to continue much longer .. 

I am sure Norwich must be thinking, "If only Nuno was available". My advice to them, "If you don't ask, you don't get"

• Haha 2