English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

7 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

H/T team talk of the day to Claudio Ranieri for instilling Watford to cane Everton 2 - 5 after going in 1 - 1 at the break .? 

Yep.....Watford were impressive........Everton were not.

8 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

H/T team talk of the day to Claudio Ranieri for instilling Watford to cane Everton 2 - 5 after going in 1 - 1 at the break .? 

'Sad' for good reason, @Dedinbed, with me being one of the brave - but maybe foolhardy - souls that went with The Toffees. And now we'll just have to sit on the sidelines whilst everyone else gets their kicks 😥.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, Faz said:

No award for the first man to sit down then 

Like me, I suspect, @Faz, you asked that question in jest, but now, like me and @Slacker77 and like that excellent Welsh songster, James, sang, it's 'Sit Down' for sure . . . and for quite some time I fear 🙄 !

It was a tough week in terms of fixtures and I anticipated a number of draws.
Chelsea and Man City were probably the safest bets, but Everton put on the worst performance I've seen since the start of the season - but there you go, one unexpected performance and game over.

I don't think this game will last long, but I have a suggestion for a change in the rules that may prolong it.

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

'Sad' for good reason, @Dedinbed, with me being one of the brave - but maybe foolhardy - souls that went with The Toffees. And now we'll just have to sit on the sidelines whilst everyone else gets their kicks 😥.

No worries .. I put that in as Claudio must've gee'd them up in the second half to undo Everton like they did who it has to be said have made a reasonably good start .. so collapsing like they did was surprising .. but hey my choice of Palace taking all the points offa the 'Toon failed as well .. 

• Cool 1

41 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

No worries .. I put that in as Claudio must've gee'd them up in the second half to undo Everton like they did who it has to be said have made a reasonably good start .. so collapsing like they did was surprising .. but hey my choice of Palace taking all the points offa the 'Toon failed as well .. 

But at least you'll get one point, like @JohninDubin and his So'ton!

So, all eyes on Spurs and @Andrew Reeve's crossed fingers now . . . just a pity (for him!) that I've got Antonio down to score a brace or two for The Hammers, in my Fantasy squad. Tonight's ten o'clock bell will be painful for one of us, unless the Kane/Son duo manage to score 5, against 'my' guys 4. Yes, we could both be smiling at 10 pm 🤗  . . . I've got my oddsometer app working on it now!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Like me, I suspect, @Faz, you asked that question in jest, but now, like me and @Slacker77 and like that excellent Welsh songster, James, sang, it's 'Sit Down' for sure . . . and for quite some time I fear 🙄 !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

But at least you'll get one point, like @JohninDubin and his So'ton!

So, all eyes on Spurs and @Andrew Reeve's crossed fingers now . . . just a pity (for him!) that I've got Antonio down to score a brace or two for The Hammers, in my Fantasy squad. Tonight's ten o'clock bell will be painful for one of us, unless the Kane/Son duo manage to score 5, against 'my' guys 4. Yes, we could both be smiling at 10 pm 🤗  . . . I've got my oddsometer app working on it now!

Just to clarify, I thought it was agreed you only got a point if your selection was postponed. Of course you could bend the rules, but only for me.

@BigHewerIt occurs to me BTW, that if games are postponed, players should not be allowed to use that fixture when it is eventually played, because it is possible to get 3 points in total (more if it is postponed more than once) from that fixture. Grateful for any input on that.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Just to clarify, I thought it was agreed you only got a point if your selection was postponed. Of course you could bend the rules, but only for me.

@BigHewerIt occurs to me BTW, that if games are postponed, players should not be allowed to use that fixture when it is eventually played, because it is possible to get 3 points in total (more if it is postponed more than once) from that fixture. Grateful for any input on that.

Yes, my bad there, John . . . so are draws to be treated as a loss, with no progressing to next round?

45 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, my bad there, John . . . so are draws to be treated as a loss, with no progressing to next round?

I don't want to speak out of turn as I believe that @BigHewer is the VAR judge in this matter, but the usual rules are that you stay in the game as long as you nominate a winning team. The purpose of "1 pt for a postponement" is that as games can be called off at very short notice, players affected by this will not be seriously disadvantaged and can stay in the game.

Also, the "model rules" I copied to this thread from another site, are that once a selection is made it cannot be changed. The reason for that rule is not to cause chaos for the records keeper in having to amend selections when there is a short notice postponement

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I don't want to speak out of turn as I believe that @BigHewer is the VAR judge in this matter, but the usual rules are that you stay in the game as long as you nominate a winning team. The purpose of "1 pt for a postponement" is that as games can be called off at very short notice, players affected by this will not be seriously disadvantaged and can stay in the game.

Also, the "model rules" I copied to this thread from another site, are that once a selection is made it cannot be changed. The reason for that rule is not to cause chaos for the records keeper in having to amend selections when there is a short notice postponement

Thanks, John! In hindsight, the 'wins only' logic makes good sense. My mrs is forever complaining that I 'complicate things' . . . I reckon she's right :classic_sad:!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

It’s easy enough to follow, I think. I’ve never played this before, so I don’t know how long one cycle usually lasts. Any insights there @JohninDubin
And is it only the players still in it who submit selections for week 10?

28 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

If so, then everyone comes back at the start of the new cycle?

I have a couple of suggestions for changes to the rules in that case , as we have a limited number of participants at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Faz said:

I have a couple of suggestions for changes to the rules in that case , as we have a limited number of participants at the moment.

Sounds good then @Faz. It seems like we could end up with a long wait on the sidelines for players no longer standing. Would be interested to hear your ideas.

40 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

It’s easy enough to follow, I think. I’ve never played this before, so I don’t know how long one cycle usually lasts. Any insights there @JohninDubin
And is it only the players still in it who submit selections for week 10?

Usual rules are that it continues until there is only one correct prediction. To qualify for each successive round, you need to select a winner from the previous week, or be the victim of a postponement in that week.

I added the suggestion of a 5 pt bonus as the equivalent of a "prize" so that we can have a league table to the end of the season and make it more interesting. 

I presume your OK with all that?

37 minutes ago, Faz said:

4 weeks at this rate?

That coincides with all those players having used all their Chelsea, City, United and Pool options (hahaha)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Usual rules are that it continues until there is only one correct prediction. To qualify for each successive round, you need to select a winner from the previous week, or be the victim of a postponement in that week.

I added the suggestion of a 5 pt bonus as the equivalent of a "prize" so that we can have a league table to the end of the season and make it more interesting. 

I presume your OK with all that?

That coincides with all those players having used all their Chelsea, City, United and Pool options (hahaha)

On that note, week 10 Liverpool please 😁

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Sounds good then @Faz. It seems like we could end up with a long wait on the sidelines for players no longer standing. Would be interested to hear your ideas.

I'm anxious to hear any suggestions, but the point of the game is that if you choose wrong, you get eliminated. Of course there should be an exception to that last bit, but only for me😜.

• Haha 1