English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Could be a long wait on the sidelines for us non-players 🙁

If you have no objections, I am going to add a second comp as discussed earlier with you, that modifies LPS. I do get anxious that people might lose interest, and I do enjoy the banter of this thread.

I'd like to keep players involved and hopefully grow the thread. Proposed start date is first Saturday in Feb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I recommend a set of the encyclopaedia Britannica for reading material whilst waiting  🙄

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

I'd like to keep players involved and hopefully grow the thread. Proposed start date is first Saturday in Feb.

You might have an issue there John. First Sat in Feb is 5th.

First fixtures for Feb start Tues 8th - 10th.
Only 9 fixtures that week and the following week starting Sat 12th.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

You might have an issue there John. First Sat in Feb is 5th.

First fixtures for Feb start Tues 8th - 10th.
Only 9 fixtures that week and the following week starting Sat 12th.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

I don't recall you being around White Hart Lane in 1919.

John I think you might remember this fine looking gentleman from my home town of Keighley, he played for Tottenham in 1905 (were you a season ticket holder then?) 

FB_IMG_1642677333184.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Bit of info on John Shackleton.

Screenshot_2022-01-20-18-18-26-409_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Thanks for that. I'd not heard of him, and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was Michael Dawson in retro.

Dawson was a player I have massive respect for. He was given the chance to leave under Poch, but stayed and fought for his place, until eventually being replaced by Alderweireld. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

John I think you might remember this fine looking gentleman from my home town of Keighley, he played for Tottenham in 1905 (were you a season ticket holder then?) 

Keighley, eh? I've been there a hundred or two times and now remembered for the Appleyard Motorcycle shop and it being the home to one of my all-time favourite brews, Timothy Taylors, of course.

Thanks for the memories, @Marble-eye, despite my lack of Shackleton knowledge!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

I'd think it was Michael Dawson in retro.

Yes, MD to a tee, a player that I highly rated for his work ethic, if not for any eye-catching technical skills . . . always there to be counted on and to throw himself in the road of trouble when necessary and it seemed like he was a regular stalwart for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Keighley, eh? I've been there a hundred or two times and now remembered for the Appleyard Motorcycle shop and it being the home to one of my all-time favourite brews, Timothy Taylors, of course.

Thanks for the memories, @Marble-eye, despite my lack of Shackleton knowledge!

Yes Timmy Taylors Landlord beer has to be one of the finest beers anywhere. Did you ever go in the Boltmakers Arms, it was renowned for the pristine way the landlords looked after their Timmy Taylors, just around the corner from Colin Appleyards, you would pass the Cricketers Arms to get there, another great Timmy Taylor pub.

Anyway back to Keighley footballers, I used to play football (made the numbers up) with a guy called Trevor Storton who Bill Shankly bought together with quite a few other players, he didn't have many games for Liverpool as a certain Emlyn Hughes kept him out of the squad.

And I went to the same school as Trevor Hockey although he went there a few years before me. He had quite a distinguished career in football, worth googling KC. Do you remember them?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes Timmy Taylors Landlord beer has to be one of the finest beers anywhere. Did you ever go in the Boltmakers Arms, it was renowned for the pristine way the landlords looked after their Timmy Taylors, just around the corner from Colin Appleyards, you would pass the Cricketers Arms to get there, another great Timmy Taylor pub.

Anyway back to Keighley footballers, I used to play football (made the numbers up) with a guy called Trevor Storton who Bill Shankly bought together with quite a few other players, he didn't have many games for Liverpool as a certain Emlyn Hughes kept him out of the squad.

And I went to the same school as Trevor Hockey although he went there a few years before me. He had quite a distinguished career in football, worth googling KC. Do you remember them?

The Cricketers Arms rings a bell but, as much as I loved Landlord, I doubt if I ever visited more than a couple of town centre pubs . . . always too busy! I do remember calling at a TT pub, about halfway up the long drag up to Howarth and on the right.

I've found the 2 Trevors, too, both noted as Keighley players, so thanks for that excursion 🙂!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

I remember Trevor Hockey and saw him play for Brum in 1967 against Spurs in the FA Cup sixth round. Like George Best, he had a Beatle haircut. I also remember he had a fairly good career with Wales, but that was at a time when the Taffys had three players from the old Div 3 playing for Peterborough.

In those days if you had 2 or more players on International duty, you could apply for a postponement, and it was not uncommon to see "Posh" not playing on Home International Weekends. I posted a rant on TT recently mentioning this, and complaining that there is now so much football at the highest level that if postponements are necessary, it is difficult to find a date for the re-scheduling. The idea that you are unable to field a team because of international commitments cuts no ice nowadays.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, BigHewer said:

No, the 'Gooners' flopped against Burnley and lived up to their name of Arse***.

New game start next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

New overall leader as well. Well done KC 👍🏻⚽😎

Un-flipping-believable 🤗!

But now, at the start of the next cycle, there are a few players with a whole bag of banker-bets in their lockers . . . things might get a little tense 🤔!

• Like 3