English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

Just now, BigHewer said:

Fair enough John. Now then, where does that leave @Andrew Reeveand @King Cottonwith their changes? No changes permitted, I presume? 

In that case, I see now my “VAR” role is done. I’ll just carry on as a player for now. 

You put me in an awkward position here. I've said that I will do as instructed, but I've had to respond because you mischaracterised my earlier response.

FWIW, I'd love to do them both a favour, especially my fellow Spur Andrew (waiting to hear complaints that the ref is biased towards the home team), but without a notice period we run the risk of being unfair to others. 

The nearest I can think of reducing any unfairness if you want to change the rules now, is that all those who did not pick Norwich last week, with the exception of KC, should have there picks changed to Norwich. That gives KC a slight disadvantage. But there are 9 games remaining in the sequence, and he still has 14 picks left, so the chances that he will have to pick Norwich are remote.

One other point that nobody seems to have picked up on, is that this new rule does not prevent someone in similar circumstances picking another Norwich type selection. As I understand it the new rule is not to stop such gamesmanship, but to allow players to change their pick in the event that the original choice was postponed.

But going forward, I think I've just made a good case why there should be 7 day notice period for rule changes. 

As far as @Andrew Reeveand @King Cottonare concerned, I do wish they would add to this debate.

I am looking for a way to treat everybody equally

• Like 1

Interesting set of circumstances and I see the benefit of both viewpoints.

I only changed my selection after the Liverpool match was postponed and I went for West Ham as I wished to participate and really need to put together a winning run, last week i picked Everton that match was also postponed and really did not want 2 games/picks in a row with 1 point for each game.

Tomorrow is Christmas day and in theory the rule change could stay for now (gift for everyone) and then we revert to no rule changes without a couple days of notice.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Perhaps you've forgotten that I did enter the debate with my request to change from the PP'd LIV game to Spurs . . . nuff said, I think.

17 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Perhaps you've forgotten that I did enter the debate with my request to change from the PP'd LIV game to Spurs . . . nuff said, I think.

The debate I am talking about is whether we should change the rules now without any notice to those who have already made a pick, and may be unaware of the rule change that they may wish to take advantage of, or should we have a minimum notice period of say, 7 days so that nobody is disadvantaged by their ignorance of the rule change.?

17 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

2 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

The debate I am talking about is whether we should change the rules now without any notice to those who have already made a pick, and may be unaware of the rule change that they may wish to take advantage of, or should we have a minimum notice period of say, 7 days so that nobody is disadvantaged by their ignorance of the rule change.?

I'm sorry to say that this has gone from being one of the most amiable threads on the forum to much rancour. I am sorry if @BigHewer has been offended by my comments. I hope he will reconsider his decision. I'm not sure if anybody wants to see him quit his role. If he does, I am not sure that whoever replaces him will be able to bring the same humorous qualities that he brings. We've already lost @Marble-eyethough I am not sure why. Again I hope that he too will reconsider.

Let's all step back and calm down and avoid the risk that we may throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Xmas Day Greetings to all.

As I write, we find this thread in crisis with @BigHewerhaving quit his role as VAR. I am hoping he will reconsider his decision. If anyone needs to know why, the reasons are contained in recent posts.

The situation at present is that we have introduced a new rule to the effect that anybody who has selected a postponed game may change their selection to a game that is actually taking place. Though I have reservations about this, which I will explain shortly, I have stated that I will honour whatever decision VAR makes. As BH has not rescinded that rule prior to quitting his role, that is now the new rule.

One of the reasons why we originally had a "no change" rule was to make my role simpler. As most of you will realise, I have made some mistakes in entering picks etc. This is one of the reasons why I try to publish the updated Excel doc frequently, so that those affected by my errors, can bring them to my attention and they can be corrected. This has worked well to date. 

Last game week, we had a number of players indulging in gamesmanship and selecting Norwich to win, when they knew that the match would be abandoned. I have no complaints about that as it was within the rules. We had also considered the possibility before this event, that if someone picked a team and the game was postponed, that being unable to change their selection would lead to them being eliminated from the next round. So we introduced a rule awarding 2 pts for a win, and 1 for a postponement. The idea being that as long as you did not get a Zero in your column, you went through to the next round.

In last week's selections at least one player tried to change their pick after their game had been postponed. At the time BH was absent. It was not my job to make a ruling on this so I ignored the request to change. My reasoning was that the entry was time stamped and if for some reason BH decided to allow the change, no harm would be done. In the interim, @Fazintervened and pointed out that there was a "no change" rule. Whether BH saw these posts, I cannot say, but nothing was done to undermine that intervention and the requested change was not allowed. 

In spite of the fact that the "no change" rule had to all intents and purposes been settled with the intervention by Faz, and was not overruled by BH, this week, there were again more requests to change selections. BH suggested that a rule change may be necessary and later decided to amend the rule. In fairness to BH, I said nothing before he did so. Perhaps if I had done, he may have taken a different view. My objection was that as some players had already made their picks which had since been postponed, if they were unaware of the rule change, they would be at a disadvantage. I did not object to the rule change. I objected to the rule being changed without giving everyone due notice, and asked BH to give seven days notice so that nobody was disadvantaged.

A mod in a PM to me a few days ago, said that this was one of the most popular and least troublesome threads on the whole forum. I believe he thought that a lot of this was due to the way that both BH and I had run this. Suddenly, we have gone from that, to where we are now. I'm embarrassed. Under the circumstances, I see myself as the problem, and if BH does not wish to return to his role, then I should also step back from my role, and if so. I would hope that someone will step forward to replace my. The system we currently use is not complicated and I will gladly assist anyone that takes the role to familiarise themselves with this.

As for the current rule change, and in order to reduce the risk of unfairness to those who are unaware of it, I will now notify all members of this as well as amend those requests for changes made so far. I apologise to those members who are disadvantaged by not seeing this in time. I would also point out that some of those I am now notifying have yet to make a selection for this game week and the deadline to remedy this is extended to 14.00 GMT on Sunday 26th Dec.

@King Cotton @spicy_girl @Andrew Reeve @Slacker77 @Benroon @Marble-eye @Chaimai @snapdragon @Dedinbed @Lowseasonlover @Sateeb

Updated tables with amended selections to follow shortly.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:05 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

I now have heard the Liverpool match has now been postponed and would wish to change my selection to West Ham please for week 19.

Thank you

Amended

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 2:01 PM, JohninDublin said:

Sire: I will have to refer that to @BigHewer for a VAR decision, If he says "No", you can always exercise the Royal Prerogative and say, "Off with his head".

Amended

As far as I can see there are only 3 games still on for boxing day .. West Ham v Southampton , Spurs v Palace and Norwich v Arsenal .. in all the confusion I'll go for abit of Tottenham as A C appears to be working some sort of dark arts magic lately .. 

5 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

As far as I can see there are only 3 games still on for boxing day .. West Ham v Southampton , Spurs v Palace and Norwich v Arsenal .. in all the confusion I'll go for abit of Tottenham as A C appears to be working some sort of dark arts magic lately .. 

SUNDAY 26TH DECEMBER 2021

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

22 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Sorted.

6 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:
1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

As @Marble-eyepointed out to @Faz, that request for change was made in jest.

Don't you read the posts, John?

Clearly, not well enough. Which post are you referring too?

This one . . . 

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

This one . . . 

Excuse me for saying so, but I don't see why this post is relevant, unless you are referring to his withdrawal of which I am aware. I am hoping when everyone has calmed down, he may reconsider. Deleting him now closes off that event.

10 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

Xmas Day Greetings to all.

As I write, we find this thread in crisis with @BigHewerhaving quit his role as VAR. I am hoping he will reconsider his decision. If anyone needs to know why, the reasons are contained in recent posts.

The situation at present is that we have introduced a new rule to the effect that anybody who has selected a postponed game may change their selection to a game that is actually taking place. Though I have reservations about this, which I will explain shortly, I have stated that I will honour whatever decision VAR makes. As BH has not rescinded that rule prior to quitting his role, that is now the new rule.

One of the reasons why we originally had a "no change" rule was to make my role simpler. As most of you will realise, I have made some mistakes in entering picks etc. This is one of the reasons why I try to publish the updated Excel doc frequently, so that those affected by my errors, can bring them to my attention and they can be corrected. This has worked well to date. 

Last game week, we had a number of players indulging in gamesmanship and selecting Norwich to win, when they knew that the match would be abandoned. I have no complaints about that as it was within the rules. We had also considered the possibility before this event, that if someone picked a team and the game was postponed, that being unable to change their selection would lead to them being eliminated from the next round. So we introduced a rule awarding 2 pts for a win, and 1 for a postponement. The idea being that as long as you did not get a Zero in your column, you went through to the next round.

In last week's selections at least one player tried to change their pick after their game had been postponed. At the time BH was absent. It was not my job to make a ruling on this so I ignored the request to change. My reasoning was that the entry was time stamped and if for some reason BH decided to allow the change, no harm would be done. In the interim, @Fazintervened and pointed out that there was a "no change" rule. Whether BH saw these posts, I cannot say, but nothing was done to undermine that intervention and the requested change was not allowed. 

In spite of the fact that the "no change" rule had to all intents and purposes been settled with the intervention by Faz, and was not overruled by BH, this week, there were again more requests to change selections. BH suggested that a rule change may be necessary and later decided to amend the rule. In fairness to BH, I said nothing before he did so. Perhaps if I had done, he may have taken a different view. My objection was that as some players had already made their picks which had since been postponed, if they were unaware of the rule change, they would be at a disadvantage. I did not object to the rule change. I objected to the rule being changed without giving everyone due notice, and asked BH to give seven days notice so that nobody was disadvantaged.

A mod in a PM to me a few days ago, said that this was one of the most popular and least troublesome threads on the whole forum. I believe he thought that a lot of this was due to the way that both BH and I had run this. Suddenly, we have gone from that, to where we are now. I'm embarrassed. Under the circumstances, I see myself as the problem, and if BH does not wish to return to his role, then I should also step back from my role, and if so. I would hope that someone will step forward to replace my. The system we currently use is not complicated and I will gladly assist anyone that takes the role to familiarise themselves with this.

As for the current rule change, and in order to reduce the risk of unfairness to those who are unaware of it, I will now notify all members of this as well as amend those requests for changes made so far. I apologise to those members who are disadvantaged by not seeing this in time. I would also point out that some of those I am now notifying have yet to make a selection for this game week and the deadline to remedy this is extended to 14.00 GMT on Sunday 26th Dec.

@King Cotton @spicy_girl @Andrew Reeve @Slacker77 @Benroon @Marble-eye @Chaimai @snapdragon @Dedinbed @Lowseasonlover @Sateeb

Updated tables with amended selections to follow shortly.

Correction: The cut-off time should read 11.30 GMT and not 14.00

14 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

In last week's selections at least one player tried to change their pick after their game had been postponed. At the time BH was absent. It was not my job to make a ruling on this so I ignored the request to change. My reasoning was that the entry was time stamped and if for some reason BH decided to allow the change, no harm would be done. In the interim, @Fazintervened and pointed out that there was a "no change" rule.

I certainly never suggested there was a rule not allowing you to change once you'd made your selection John, other than the rule which states you cannot change after the deadline date.

My reply was to @snapdragon P24, post 125870, who requested to change way after the 1 hour before kick off deadline rule. I haven't seen a rule regarding a change of team selection being permitted or disallowed before the deadline time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faz said:

I certainly never suggested there was a rule not allowing you to change once you'd made your selection John, other than the rule which states you cannot change after the deadline date.

My reply was to @snapdragon P24, post 125870, who requested to change way after the 1 hour before kick off deadline rule. I haven't seen a rule regarding a change of team selection being permitted or disallowed before the deadline time.

Thank you. And my apologies.

I was sure somewhere in all this, there was such a rule. I am not sure where I got that from.