English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

Off topic I know, but I just want to say how pleased I am that my beloved Spurs are showing signs of revival. CL next season looks like a possibility. Palace, Watford and Soton before two huge games with Chelsea and Arsenal, and with 3 games in hand over Arsenal, to make up a 6 point gap, the picture will look clearer before the end of Jan.

COYS

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Off topic I know, but I just want to say how pleased I am that my beloved Spurs are showing signs of revival. CL next season looks like a possibility. Palace, Watford and Soton before two huge games with Chelsea and Arsenal, and with 3 games in hand over Arsenal, to make up a 6 point gap, the picture will look clearer before the end of Jan.

COYS

Tottenham out of Europa Conference League after Uefa rules they forfeited final match - BBC Sport

Is this setting a precedence for future European match cancellations due to Covid.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, Faz said:

Tottenham out of Europa Conference League after Uefa rules they forfeited final match - BBC Sport

Is this setting a precedence for future European match cancellations due to Covid.

I wrote about this probability on another topic about how the PL, UEFA and FIFA combined to create a perfect storm with Covid. The problem is with increasing international fixtures (we've already had three international breaks this season), top players may have already played over 30 games so far this season and we are still in December. And that's on top of a shortened summer break where we played in the Euros.

In the case of the Rennes game, Spurs and Rennes could not agree a mutually acceptable, even though it would have required Spurs to play 4 games in 9 days. The matches had to be completed by Dec 31st. Quite simply, if you are in Euro-comps, and still in the Carabao Cup, there is little or no room to shoe-horn in postponed games.

It happened to Spurs last season as well, when Orient were hit with Covid, and Orient were obliged to forfeit the game because the only way it could be rescheduled without Spurs having to play four games in 9 days was to play the tie one round behind the other games in the comp. I agreed with the decision then because it was Orient that caused the prob. I agree with this decision now, because it was Spurs that were at fault.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, JohninDublin said:

"....beloved Spurs,,,," eh John?  "3 games in hand over Arsenal" (and only 6 points behind).  "Your enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. "CL next season,,,,," denying The Irons their first CL venture through league placing. But they will win the Europa league, so it's all fair in love,,,etc..

i'm convinced! So it's Super Duper Spurs for me please.

4 hours ago, snapdragon said:

"....beloved Spurs,,,," eh John?  "3 games in hand over Arsenal" (and only 6 points behind).  "Your enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. "CL next season,,,,," denying The Irons their first CL venture through league placing. But they will win the Europa league, so it's all fair in love,,,etc..

i'm convinced! So it's Super Duper Spurs for me please.

I like the cut of your jib sir. You are obviously a man of taste. Spurs it is.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, Faz said:

Just to update you on this, Spurs are considering an appeal to the CAS to challenge the decision. I am not sure what the grounds for the appeal would be, and I don't think it will be successful. The  rules are that all group stage ties must be completed by Dec 31st. 

As far as I can tell, the clubs could not agree a date to play the match. I am not sure why this was. At the time, Rennes were scheduled to play one match until the New Year. Whereas for Spurs to complete the match on time, they would have had to play 4 games in 9 days at some stage. The only possible thing I can think of that may be grounds for appeal is if Spurs were willing to play the 4 game schedule, and Rennes did not want to accommodate them.

If that is the case, then the matter for the CAS would be to decide if Rennes were being unreasonable. The next round of matches are in Feb. Should the CAS rule in Spurs' favour, Rennes may have unintentionally played into Spurs' hand, as it should be possible to complete the fixture when they can play 3 games in 8 days, rather than the more gruelling 4 in 9.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, King Cotton said:

Hi, John!     Please book me for Liverpool for W19.

Hi, @JohninDublin. Having just learned that the Liverpool vs Leeds game is postponed, will you please change my LPS choice to Spurs?

9 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Hi, @JohninDublin. Having just learned that the Liverpool vs Leeds game is postponed, will you please change my LPS choice to Spurs?

Sire: I will have to refer that to @BigHewer for a VAR decision, If he says "No", you can always exercise the Royal Prerogative and say, "Off with his head".

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 6:44 PM, Slacker77 said:

Wow all this mess because of me sending in my choise too late ,

@John: Remove  my point today ,that's  ok and i'm very sorry for this mess it brought up .

My apologies. I've only just seen your post.

If you look at the following post, it shows that your pick was made at 11.29am on Saturday. As the first KO was not until 1 pm making the deadline 12 noon, I can't see how you were at fault.

Regardless, it was agreed between @BigHewerand I, that to make my job simple, in case I am unable to register the selection because I am not online at cut-off time. I can rely on the time-stamp on a post in deciding whether it is valid or not. The reason for this is that I cannot be online all the time, and players should not be penalised if they made a pick in "good time" and I am unable to register these due to my absence.

I hope this clears this matter up.

Best wishes

23 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi John

For week 19, my selection is Liverpool

Thank you

I now have heard the Liverpool match has now been postponed and would wish to change my selection to West Ham please for week 19.

Thank you

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

I now have heard the Liverpool match has now been postponed and would wish to change my selection to West Ham please for week 19.

Thank you

I need to refer this for a VAR decision by @BigHewer

• Thanks 1