English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

4 minutes ago, Slacker77 said:

Yes KC i was abit late with my choice here becausei was awaiting to see if the Villa game would be played or postponed and what i saw back then it was on , i rather going for 2 points than 1 point for a postponed game 

Yes, @Slacker77 . . . a seemingly valid reason for your choice being later than the 'official' 6PM deadline and one that was accepted by @JohninDublin, prior to his recording your choice.

24 minutes ago, Slacker77 said:

Yes KC i was abit late with my choice here becausei was awaiting to see if the Villa game would be played or postponed and what i saw back then it was on , i rather going for 2 points than 1 point for a postponed game 

Extreme tactics. Very interesting!

• Cool 1

16 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Rather unfair on Snapdragon, since Slacker77 was about one hour late in making their choice.

I understood that rulings were to be made by @BigHewer . . . not by Faz, who is simply an LPS player.

Without reading back through the various posts, I believe that we had a rule to the effect that once a selection was made, you were locked into it. I think this was what @Fazwas referring to.

Slacker made his choice at least 3 hours ago. His post was a follow up to an earlier one. His second post was due to my failure to acknowledge his first post. I went online at just after 11.30 (the cut-off time) and saw it at that time. I checked the time on his post and was satisfied that it was made before 11.30.

@BigHewer wanted to change the cut off time to 24 hours before the first match to make my job simpler with those who leave the choices to the last minute, but he accepted that I would check for late entries relying on the time stamp to validate the pick. That is what I did with @Slacker77selection today.

Just to add a personal comment, I favour picks being "final", because we've seen even without the chaos there is at present, I do make mistakes. That's why I like to get the table out ASAP so that my errors can be rectified. But in the present mess, it is not inconceivable that some players may want to change their selection more than once. Then we have the issue, that someone may have made a pick, and not be aware a game has been called off, but another player who is aware can get to change their pick. Not sure that would not upset some people.

Hope this has cleared this up.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, @Slacker77 . . . a seemingly valid reason for your choice being later than the 'official' 6PM deadline and one that was accepted by @JohninDublin, prior to his recording your choice.

If my recollection is correct, the deadline is 1 hour before first scheduled KO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

Extreme tactics. Very interesting!

Very extreme, @snapdragon! Sorry that you seem to have been dealt a bad hand, despite the best efforts of @BigHewer, whose VAR decision, re your request to change away from your earlier Villa choice, was evidently not picked-up by @JohninDublin.

An interesting, if not exasperating situation, for sure! Let's hope good fortune shines on you, next weekend 😉!

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Regarding "6 pm deadline", it was agreed between myself and @BigHewerthat the deadline would be 1 hour before KO of each series: Here is what I posted for this round, 

"

Following the success of Slacker in winning the last round of Last Person Standing, a new round commences with the cut-off commencing at noon GMT on Saturday.

The following players are invited to make their selections: @spicy_girl@Slacker77 (who rumour has it, is celebrating his historic win) @Benroon@Chaimai@snapdragon@Dedinbed

Also we are hopefully inviting two new players @Lowseasonloverand @Sateeb

Let the games begin.

I'm one for sticking to the rules, so I'm not suggesting that we do a cyber march or anything like that. Just a virtual moan is enough for me.

This omicron variant is causing havoc with this competition. I'm never going to forgive it.

I don't think there will be many EPL games played until February at the earliest.

Keep up the good work JinD and BH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Very extreme, @snapdragon! Sorry that you seem to have been dealt a bad hand, despite the best efforts of @BigHewer, whose VAR decision, re your request to change away from your earlier Villa choice, was evidently not picked-up by @JohninDublin.

An interesting, if not exasperating situation, for sure! Let's hope good fortune shines on you, next weekend 😉!

It was picked up, but @Fazalso picked up on the no changes rule to save me becoming the villain of the piece.

9 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

I'm one for sticking to the rules, so I'm not suggesting that we do a cyber march or anything like that. Just a virtual moan is enough for me.

This omicron variant is causing havoc with this competition. I'm never going to forgive it.

I don't think there will be many EPL games played until February at the earliest.

Keep up the good work JinD and BH.

Very gracious of you. Your appreciation is appreciated.

Wow all this mess because of me sending in my choise too late ,

@John: Remove  my point today ,that's  ok and i'm very sorry for this mess it brought up .

Edited by Slacker77
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

Wow all this mess because of me sending in my choise too late ,

@John: Remove  my point today ,that's  ok and i'm very sorry for this mess it brought up .

No Slacker77, not your fault. Just an absolute shambles of a week. I applaud John for keeping it all together. 

*** Rules are rules and sometimes there are loopholes. This is why West Germany made it to the 1982 World Cup Final. Also the reason why Poland were seeded in 2018. 

Next season, there will be a revision of the rules. The LPS rules may even end up being as long as the Forum Guidelines 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BigHewer said:

No Slacker77, not your fault. Just an absolute shambles of a week. I applaud John for keeping it all together. 

*** Rules are rules and sometimes there are loopholes. This is why West Germany made it to the 1982 World Cup Final. Also the reason why Poland were seeded in 2018. 

Next season, there will be a revision of the rules. The LPS rules may even end up being as long as the Forum Guidelines 😂

Yes John has done a great work this week after all mess with postponed games .

Regarding World cup 1982 i was at place in Spain (just 18years old) and i  watched 2 games  Argentina -Hungary 4-1, 2 goals by Maradona and then N.Ireland -Spain 1-0 .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slacker77 said:

Yes John has done a great work this week after all mess with postponed games .

Regarding World cup 1982 i was at place in Spain (just 18years old) and i  watched 2 games  Argentina -Hungary 4-1, 2 goals by Maradona and then N.Ireland -Spain 1-0 .

Sounds good, World Cup games are a great experience, I also went to two games at the 2002 World Cup. Sweden vs. Nigeria was a classic.

• Like 2

remember that game Larsson scored twice and England got a draw against Nigeria in the last groupmatch,sweden too a draw last game against Argentina

and then sweden lost their quarter to Senegal and about Englands quarter i don't remember 

Thanks for the kind words regarding my temporary role as stand in VAR.

Updating everybody, the only person who made progress this week was @King Cottonwhose pick was the only game played from all the selections made. All players now have a score alongside their names.

Our two new players, @Lowseasonloverand @Sateebfailed to show, and were both given Arsenal as default selection, as was Beenroon, whose recent absence has been noticed . VAR may need to decide on how many default selections are allowable.

LPS.xlsx

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

VAR may need to decide on how many default selections are allowable.

What a pity Norwich and Newcastle start with letters so deep into the alphabet. 

What’s the consensus? Any other comments? I think the answer has to be:

a) Just once

b) No limit

I would favor option B because it doesn’t require yet another new rule.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

a) Just once

b) No limit

Option b) No limit . . . their presence on the chart has no detrimental effect and it's a good, positive sign that the door is still open, should their situations change.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

a) Just once

b) No limit

I think with option 'b', in theory and possibly practice, someone could be involved in the game without actually participating and choosing a team themselves. So I would say 'a' and not be reliant on others choosing the team for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Apologies to all especially @King Cottonwho PM'd to point out that I had failed to add his two points for a win. I could tell you that it was to stop him surging ahead of me in the table (hahaha). However, I did add the two points, but to forgot to click "save", on the Excel doc.

I am most humbled by my error, and realise that it's mistakes like this that could cost players a chance of Euro-games next season.

Deadline for next selections is 11.30 GMT, 26th Dec.

LPS.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

I think with option 'b', in theory and possibly practice, someone could be involved in the game without actually participating and choosing a team themselves. So I would say 'a' and not be reliant on others choosing the team for them.

I think both suggestions have merit, but we might be wasting our time, with "no shows". Can I suggest that those wo have already taken their places i.e. @Benroonwe know does want to play, and may be absent for reasons beyond their control. Therefore I'd leave those cases in place.

However, I think it's reasonable to presume, that if intended new players haven't participated after 3 games, they are not that interested, and should be deleted. I'd suggest that I carry on as before with the "late selection warning", for next week, and if we don't hear from them, the next late selection notice should carry the warning that if we do not hear from them, we will presume they are not interested and delete them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JohninDublin said:

I think both suggestions have merit, but we might be wasting our time, with "no shows". Can I suggest that those wo have already taken their places i.e. @Benroonwe know does want to play, and may be absent for reasons beyond their control. Therefore I'd leave those cases in place.

However, I think it's reasonable to presume, that if intended new players haven't participated after 3 games, they are not that interested, and should be deleted. I'd suggest that I carry on as before with the "late selection warning", for next week, and if we don't hear from them, the next late selection notice should carry the warning that if we do not hear from them, we will presume they are not interested and delete them.

All sounds good to me John 👍🏻

• Cool 1

50 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Apologies to all especially @King Cottonwho PM'd to point out that I had failed to add his two points for a win. I could tell you that it was to stop him surging ahead of me in the table (hahaha). However, I did add the two points, but to forgot to click "save", on the Excel doc.

I am most humbled by my error, and realise that it's mistakes like this that could cost players a chance of Euro-games next season.

Deadline for next selections is 11.30 GMT, 26th Dec.

LPS.xlsx 13.42 kB · 1 download

Thanks John - believe me, I really needed to see some points on the sheet for a change . . . my self-esteem is now bursting at the seams!

• Haha 2

Just to let everybody know, there may be some delay in publishing the updated tables in January as I will be making my maiden trip to Phuket from Jan 1st returning on Jan 23rd. As you can imagine, I will have slightly more important distractions to deal with. 

Therefore I would suggest that the options are for me to carry on and expect updates within 24 hours, or someone to fill in for me in my absence. It is fairly simple for someone to do this, and if there is a volunteer, I can talk them through it. Anyone can amend the table remotely, though for obvious reasons, it is far better that this is done by one person to whom the task is allocated.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• Like 2