English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

42 minutes ago, Faz said:

You chose the TOON last week and didn't heed my advice and look what happened 😝

All the matches every week in English commentary with True in Thailand.

I have the benefit of an android box which means I can usually watch my beloved Spurs with a stream from somewhere on the planet, though sometimes I have to listen in a foreign language. It has been useful though, because now I can say "Harry Kane" in about 16 different languages.

Seriously though, my reasons for having the box are not about cheating Sky etc, but because if I paid for all the various additional channels, I'd still miss about a quarter of the games which are not on the Sky Platform.

But I've recently discovered the joy of not listening to the drivel from English Language pundits and commentators. Example: Roy Keane criticising OGS a couple of seasons ago, said, "They should just go to Spurs and get Pochettino". The arrogance being implied was, "Man U have only got to whistle and everyone will come running". He made a similar comment about Harry Kane at the end of last season: "What United need is a player who can score 25 PL goals in a season. They should just go to Spurs and buy Harry Kane".90

Notwithstanding that Kane won his 3rd Golden Boot with just 23 goals last season, if you listened to Keane, you might conclude, that Spurs is some sort of supermarket where you can just take what you want off the shelf and pay for it at the till.

And still on the subject of pundits and Kane, I watched the last two England games on the Virgin Channel. Before the start of the game, the Irish commentators were saying things like, "He looks to have lost a yard, or even two of pace". And, "Clearly his failed move to City has affected him mentally". Of course, Kane is really only assessed on scoring goals. By the time they were writing-off Kane, he had already scored 9 goals which ain't a bad return by Mid- November. He then goes on to score 7 goals in the next two games. 

I know people will say that it was only S. Marino and Albania so that was nothing much to boast about, but he was subbed off twice and his total game-time was 124 minutes. A goal every 18 minutes and no other England player got more than one goal against SM. 

But if I had been in the studio, I would have told them, "90% of Kane's game is as good as the service he gets, with the other 10% coming from his own hard graft. Under Nuno, Kane just wasn't getting that service"

But back to my main gripe though commentators and pundits. How many times have I heard a manager's post match interview start with, "Well Fred. You are currently bottom of the league and in a tough relegation battle. How important were those 3 pts for you today"? I am staring at the box dumbfounded, and thinking, "You've had plenty of time to think about it, and that's the best you can do"? 

And back on Harry Kane, the last 4 Spurs managers have all been asked the same question: "How important is Harry Kane to Spurs"? I think the next pundit that asks that question should be sent to Pundit Prison for life without Parole!

But by far the most annoying commentator for my ears is a Spurs legend: Glen Hoddle. Every comment he makes contains a caveat: "He could be". "He might". "This might affect the team's morale". Maybe he has been affected psychologically". Whenever I have to listen to him, I am left wondering if there is a clause in his contract that forbids him from making a prediction or unqualified statement.

Recently, I've found the game far easier to listen to in Serbo-Croat. It can be very difficult to assess whether you are listening to an imbecile if you can't understand a word that is being said. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Positive result against Leeds and we were so poor in midfield. He has certainly motivated them and would expect the team to improve week on week. Jan will be here pretty soon and would expect at least 2 new faces, one for midfield and another striker.

I'm also expecting  steady progression. We have seven winnable games until we face Pool. A good run up to then, and we should be chasing down a CL place. Be good to see the CB's sorted out. It looks like it will be a long time until we see a pairing like Jan and Toby. Delighted to see how he got the fans involved. 

I see he has taken a strong squad for the Mura game. Fielding weakened teams and then underestimating the opposition always annoyed me.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:34 PM, BigHewer said:

They need a big personality with a big reputation.

Is Big Sam still about? Steve Bruce is; big belly and all.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

Is Big Sam still about? Steve Bruce is; big belly and all.

Or why not Harry. Or Big Kev. The way they are going in the league, Pulis might even come into the frame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure who to send a PM to with my forecast. So it's gonna be on here for all to see. Others are sure to copy.

Toffeemen for me please.

They are useless at the mo, but I was offered a bit of candy in the week, and it really stuck in my teeth. Made me think of them. Don't even know who they they are playing, but I'm sure they will be victorious.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, snapdragon said:

Not sure who to send a PM to with my forecast. So it's gonna be on here for all to see. Others are sure to copy.

Toffeemen for me please.

They are useless at the mo, but I was offered a bit of candy in the week, and it really stuck in my teeth. Made me think of them. Don't even know who they they are playing, but I'm sure they will be victorious.

That's done.

2 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Don't wanna repeat being the lame duck from the off of the last round so I'll go for abit of Liverpool this weekend .. 

On the list.

At time of writing, I am awaiting picks from @spicy_girl @Slacker77 @Benroon @Chaimai @Faz and @Marble-eye

Regarding @Marble-eye your current selection of Liverpool has been deemed invalid by our VAR ref, @BigHeweras you made the same selection for GW10. According to VAR, the position is that if you don't amend this, you will default to Villa. Speaking as a Spurs fan, I think it could have been worse. It could have been Arsenal (hahaha).

I've been tinkering with the Excel scorecard and made it more compact, and therefore (I hope) easier to read. Column AF is now clearly visible and shows the current points total. I'd be grateful for any input as to whether this is an improvement, and any other practical suggestions that might enhance this.

Good luck for this week.

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

At time of writing, I am awaiting picks from @spicy_girl @Slacker77 @Benroon @Chaimai @Faz and @Marble-eye

Regarding @Marble-eye your current selection of Liverpool has been deemed invalid by our VAR ref, @BigHeweras you made the same selection for GW10. According to VAR, the position is that if you don't amend this, you will default to Villa. Speaking as a Spurs fan, I think it could have been worse. It could have been Arsenal (hahaha).

I've been tinkering with the Excel scorecard and made it more compact, and therefore (I hope) easier to read. Column AF is now clearly visible and shows the current points total. I'd be grateful for any input as to whether this is an improvement, and any other practical suggestions that might enhance this.

Good luck for this week.

Sorry John I thought that in a new start to the comp everything reverted back to square one, however if I may change my selection to Wolves that will be great, thanks.

I have been summoned to Bangkok to my daughter in laws house where the fence and her sliding gate have collapsed in a pile of rust, so been busy this week fabricating and havn't been given the comp my full attention, cheers.⚽

1 minute ago, Marble-eye said:

Sorry John I thought that in a new start to the comp everything reverted back to square one, however if I may change my selection to Wolves that will be great, thanks.

I have been summoned to Bangkok to my daughter in laws house where the fence and her sliding gate have collapsed in a pile of rust, so been busy this week fabricating and havn't been given the comp my full attention, cheers.⚽

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, I also thought that was how it was supposed to work.

Good luck with your DIY duties.

Wolves it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Good luck for this week.

Wolverhampton Wanderers please this weekend. Yay Jimenez!!

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Good luck for this week.

I am advised that @Faz had already selected Watford. Fixed and apologies fir any confusion.

6 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

ok guys been little busy and not present here so much ,but now here and im going for the Gunners this week , good luck all 

Your choice means I can publish this weeks list. Updated totals on Sunday.

Please can everyone be aware that GW14 selections are for fixtures played next Tues-Thurs and your co-operation in early selection will be appreciated.

LPS.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preliminary table for GW 13. With 6 picks still to be decided we currently have a 4 way tie for the lead with @Chaimaiand @Marble-eyehaving been successful in this round. Currently also sharing top spot is Mr VAR aka @BigHewerand @snapdragonwhose picks are still live. By the end of the day either or both could be leading. In other news, @King Cottonand @Slacker77have both broken their duck.

Final table for GW 13 will be published at about 16.00 GMT.

LPS.xlsx

• Like 2