English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

On 11/17/2021 at 1:47 PM, BigHewer said:

Absolutely. Believe it or not, someone is actually picking NUFC to win a game. 

Ice has been the ruin of many people ! 😁

• Haha 4

Hi folks,

After consultation and consideration, I just want to clarify the rules.

1. Players may not select the same team twice until they have selected every team once. 

2. Players should post their selected team by Thursday at the latest.

3. The spreadsheet will be released before each game week. It’s up to each player to check if the correct selection has been entered.

4. Any disputes that arise can be discussed in a three way PM between @JohninDubin, myself and the member.

For example to clarify further: There are three players left in right now. These are @snapdragon, @Marble-eye and @BigHewer. If all three players are wrong this week, everyone will be back for game week 13. If (for example) you have selected Spurs and Chelsea so far and rejoin in game week 13, you will have to select one of the other 18 teams in that game week. You can check the excel sheet each week to see which teams are available to you.

I am sure this competition will be a lot of fun and many thanks once again to @JohninDubinfor all the work involved in keeping track of the data.

@Marble-eye and @snapdragon, good luck this weekend (kind of ;)!

BigHewer

VAR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Faz said:

I've clearly misunderstood the rules.

I was under the impression you couldn't choose the same team again until you'd chosen all 20 teams.
Hence choosing some of the lower placed teams, saving the best of the crop for later selections.

I didn't misinterpret the rules then, my understanding was correct. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, BigHewer said:

Newcastle United 

(with a photo addy from my garage)

7D968B95-69C2-4889-940C-534AA5210017.jpeg

Just a thought on the recent resignation of Gary Hoffman, which is being linked to the Saudi takeover of your beloved team. Any idea what that was about?

I can imagine that the "Big 6" would not want to see their oligopoly disrupted, while most of the rest of the PL would also not be fond of the idea that a team who had won nothing for decades, might be in a position to buy themselves into the oligopoly.

I somehow don't see too many FA club chairmen being too interested in human rights in Saudi.

• Like 1

One argumentative post and one insulting post directed at another member have been removed.

Etiquette – How to be “nice”!

We would like you to be civil, polite, and respectful in your interactions with other members

• Like 2

Hi folks,

After consultation and consideration, I just want to clarify the rules.

So far I got my selection wrong each time and glad I am not a betting man.

Good luck to the remaining 3 members for this weekend👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Faz said:

I didn't misinterpret the rules then, my understanding was correct. 🙂

Yes. It wasn't what I thought, but you were correct. Have you considered law as a profession (hahaha)

9 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Just a thought on the recent resignation of Gary Hoffman, which is being linked to the Saudi takeover of your beloved team. Any idea what that was about?

I can imagine that the "Big 6" would not want to see their oligopoly disrupted, while most of the rest of the PL would also not be fond of the idea that a team who had won nothing for decades, might be in a position to buy themselves into the oligopoly.

I somehow don't see too many FA club chairmen being too interested in human rights in Saudi.

And now Charnley has left his post as well after 22 years. They’re clearing house in the back office. Wondering now who they’ll get in. What are the odds on the Christmas party getting renamed? 🧐

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BigHewer said:

And now Charnley has left his post as well after 22 years. They’re clearing house in the back office. Wondering now who they’ll get in. What are the odds on the Christmas party getting renamed? 🧐

Carry on at that rate and they will be able to have the "top table" in a telephone box.

You've no ideas then.

Attached is the latest table. It includes the rule change clarifying that players cannot select the same twice in any 20 game sequence. Also, that @snapdragonhas been allowed to change his selection in order not to be disadvantaged by this rule change.

Good luck players.

LPS.xlsx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

Carry on at that rate and they will be able to have the "top table" in a telephone box.

You've no ideas then.

Hoffman feeling the strain and not a popular figure among the clubs. Obviously saw his own position as untenable. 

• Thanks 1

Top marks to Norwich and Villa who both restarted after the Int' break with wins under their respective new bosses and were nearly joined by Newcastle who played out a bonkers draw against Brentford .. Leicester were outfoxed by Chelski in the early game and are in a bit of a tail spin at the mo' that B R needs to get a grip of .. result of the day has to be Watford v M U and no messing I Claudius fed OGS to the Lions with a right old tuning at Vic' Rd .. and the Manc's premium thoroughbred carthorse Maguire got his marching orders just to rub Ole's nose in it .. 

• Cool 2

For the second cycle in succession, all the runners have fallen at the second hurdle. Collectively, we are showing a strike rate of just 27% (9 correct from 33 picks)

My sympathies to @snapdragon. Fancy being conned into picking Wet Sham (hahaha).

LPS.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

10 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Top marks to Norwich and Villa who both restarted after the Int' break with wins under their respective new bosses

Top marks to you too @Dedinbed. I actually prefer your weekly round-up to the BBC’s. 😎⚽

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Top marks to you too @Dedinbed. I actually prefer your weekly round-up to the BBC’s. 😎⚽

I gotta do something to make a contribution as my prediction's are not quite Mystic Meg standard yet .. the Gunner's recent revival was left up on blocks after their showing against Liverpool last night but Mané other side's will suffer the same against their forward line .. Blue Manchester should chew the toffee's up in one of the later game's while Spurs face Leeds who are suffering 2nd season syndrome abit .. this will be interesting as Conte has had time now to impart his style on them all the while Bielsa needs to get his charge's going again or risk joining the growing list of next to be tintacked .. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Inevitable as it was , just coming up on the wires that OGS has left Man Utd .. Zidane is being touted as replacement but that remains to be seen ..

• Cool 1

42 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Inevitable as it was , just coming up on the wires that OGS has left Man Utd .. Zidane is being touted as replacement but that remains to be seen ..

I hear Steve Bruce is undecided re whether to retire or not. With Old Trafford being his first-home for a decade, he'd be bound to fit in . . . and what a hit he'd be with those ever-faithful fans.

Go on, Brucey, chuck your name in the hat . . . you know the strangest things happen at United 🙄!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

I hear Steve Bruce is undecided re whether to retire or not. With Old Trafford being his first-home for a decade, he'd be bound to fit in . . . and what a hit he'd be with those ever-faithful fans.

Go on, Brucey, chuck your name in the hat . . . you know the strangest things happen at United 🙄!

From what I'm hearing Carrick takes over until an interim man is found to guide them to the end of the season after which a big name will be sought .. but no matter which way you look at it they are in a mess right now .. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

16 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

From what I'm hearing Carrick takes over until an interim man is found to guide them to the end of the season

Carrick? More of the same… or worse of the same. Goodness me. 22/23 fresh start as no European football if Carrick is the man until season’s end.

• Cool 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Carrick? More of the same… or worse of the same. Goodness me. 22/23 fresh start as no European football if Carrick is the man until season’s end.

Interesting conflict of ops, there, BH, since I have always highly-rated Carrick in his illustrious playing career, as a captain and, I predict, as a good manager of men who would be both listened too and respected.

As @Dedinbedmentioned, Zidane is being touted, but, maybe with a more illustrious PC than Carrick, I doubt that he would be able to COMMUNICATE to anything like the same extent.

Opinions, eh?

11 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Interesting conflict of ops, there, BH, since I have always highly-rated Carrick in his illustrious playing career, as a captain and, I predict, as a good manager of men who would be both listened too and respected.

As @Dedinbedmentioned, Zidane is being touted, but, maybe with a more illustrious PC than Carrick, I doubt that he would be able to COMMUNICATE to anything like the same extent.

Opinions, eh?

Communication? Yes indeed. Zidane is the man. French and Spanish are far more useful languages than English at Manchester United these days. Which players do you want to whip into shape? 

De Gea, Varane, Bailly, Mata, Pogba, Cavani, Martial, not to mention the Portuguese contingent who might be better off as well.

Alternatively, get a monolingual English manager and your core players are Maguire, Shaw, Lingard, Rashford, McTominay.

I think it’s the foreign lads United need to get firing and sadly it might take a big foreign presence to get them off their lazy (you-know-whats).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

There was something very likeable about OGS. He often had that look of a kid opening his presents at Xmas.

OTOH, I often thought that when he got a good result, it was more by luck than judgement. 

Best of luck to him, but I think it shows the difference between managing a top flight Scandi team, and even the worst PL team. Potter with his pedigree including managing a woman's team could do it, but he looks more like the exception.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1