English Premier League Last Person Standing 2021/22

BigHewer

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Three members in so far, would be nice to get 8 or so. Anyone else?

Now up to 5. 8 should be easy by the end of the day. 

• Like 2

In case anybody is a newcomer to this game, one of the strategies used by some players is to try to pick lower end teams in the early part of the sequence. The logic behind this is that if you can get a couple of wins from the likes of Burnley or Southampton, as the game continues, you will have a greater choice of "Big Boys" available to you when it gets to the business end of a sequence. 

If you pick MC/MU/CHE/LIV as your first four picks, you will probably rapidly run out of "banker bets" while those who have gone with the lower teams early on will have these as options in the latter stages.

Just saying. It needs to be treated like a long distance race keeping something in reserve for the final straight.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

27 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

In case anybody is a newcomer to this game, one of the strategies used by some players is to try to pick lower end teams in the early part of the sequence. The logic behind this is that if you can get a couple of wins from the likes of Burnley or Southampton, as the game continues, you will have a greater choice of "Big Boys" available to you when it gets to the business end of a sequence. 

If you pick MC/MU/CHE/LIV as your first four picks, you will probably rapidly run out of "banker bets" while those who have gone with the lower teams early on will have these as options in the latter stages.

Just saying. It needs to be treated like a long distance race keeping something in reserve for the final straight.

John, I can think of one member who has this strategy tucked away and probably has a spreadsheet set up already (hint: Hull City’s home stadium 😁)

• Haha 3

ok at last electric is  back again :)

power cut when pool in the lead with 1-0 and back when the standing was 4-0 ,wonder what Ranieri is thinking today.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

John, I can think of one member who has this strategy tucked away already and probably has a spreadsheet set up already (hint: Hull City’s home stadium 😁)

Oy, you . . . this canny customer could have gone more 'downstairs', like for the Foxes or the Hammers 😅 !

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

John, I can think of one member who has this strategy tucked away already and probably has a spreadsheet set up already (hint: Hull City’s home stadium 😁)

That was well worth the laugh it gave me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slacker77 said:

ok at last electric is  back again :)

power cut when pool in the lead with 1-0 and back when the standing was 4-0 ,wonder what Ranieri is thinking today.

Resigning . . . before his letter of notice, maybe 🙄!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:
23 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That was well worth the laugh it gave me.

A pretty cheap gag, I thought 😠!

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2021 at 2:24 PM, JohninDubin said:

Now up to 5. 8 should be easy by the end of the day. 

Still only 6. With that prediction, I am going to put it in my CV when I make a job application to TAT.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

TYVM and sorted.

Can I chose Chelsea as well, infact I would be quite happy to chose any team that plays Norwich every week apart from Leeds who they play the following week.

Edited by Marble-eye
Meant Norwich not Watford

If I'm not on your blocked list Mr John.  In which case I'll PM the selection through.

Don't usually pick teams that play in red until I'm forced to.

I'll go with 'Chelsea'.

4 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

If I'm not on your blocked list Mr John.  In which case I'll PM the selection through.

I'll go with 'Chelsea'.

Why would you be on my blocked list? I pay no attention to what everyone else say's about you (hahaha).

Chelsea it is then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Can I chose Chelsea as well, infact I would be quite happy to chose any team that plays Watford every week apart from Leeds who they play the following week.

I don't suppose it occurs to you, that you can win 18 weeks on the trot, and then you have to choose Watford or Leeds. Tough one.

5 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I don't suppose it occurs to you, that you can win 18 weeks on the trot, and then you have to choose Watford or Leeds. Tough one.

I'm banking on the rest of the opposition to have been eliminated by then. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snapdragon said:

I'll go with 'Chelsea'.

Your post about "red", reminded me of a visit I made to the "RepublikofMancunia" (Man U) website a few years back. I was pointing out some of the stupid things they were applauding. Three examples involved the "Rock of Gibraltar" (RoG) case, Rooney swearing into a Sky TV camera, and the takeover by the Glazers.

With the first, a couple of very wealthy Irishmen in including JP McManus, who is very well known in Irish Racing Circles, owned the horse RoG. They were also significant shareholders in Man U. There are two versions of what happened. According to Fergie, they gifted the horse to him. It ran in his name, and was a Champion. McManus, said the gift was only until the horse retired from racing. The horse was retired to stud, and Fergie tried to keep the horse. This then led to the Irishmen trying to use their significant share-holdings in United to get him sacked. 

This was now in the Jump racing season, and the two Irishmen had quite a few top class racehorses in this category. This led to some United fans coming up with the idea, that whenever McManus or his partner had a runner in a jump race, they would go to the course, stand near a jump, and as the horse approached start banging dustbin lids, letting off fireworks etc. Quite apart from the danger to both horse and jockey, it never seemed to occur to them, that the other runners and riders would not be similarly affected.

Then there was the Glaser takeover. There the idea was to order taxis, pizzas etc and then send them to the Merchant Bank that was handling the deal on behalf of the Glasers. What would happen of course, is that Security would phone the office directly and ask "Anyone order a pizza/taxi"? When the reply came back as "no", it would be the cabbie/pizza shop that were having their time wasted.

I couldn't believe they were so stupid as to not see this.

Finally, when Rooney was banned for swearing into a Sky camera, they started a campaign to report players from other teams, who based on their lip-reading skills they adjudged to have sworn during a game. By this time, I was wondering, why they could not differentiate between those who might have sworn but were not heard to so, and Rooney who was not only heard to do so, but did it into a live TV camera, so millions of others could witness this?

I saw the reports of various players on the RepofManc website, so I posted my observations on all three incidents, suggesting that being a United fan, might indicate some form of inherent stupidity. The handle I used to use in those days was "SpurredoninDublin". I'm a Spurs fan, for my sins. It immediately drew a response from someone who accused me of being a Liverpool troll. When I asked how he had come to that conclusion, he wrote that my username had given it away: SpurREDoninDublin. I decided he was far too smart for me.

• Like 1