News Forum - Nearly 70,000 foreigners register for vaccines on expatvac site

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

But you don't!!!

It's still more of the same absolute nonsense, based entirely on what you claim you've seen with your own eyes, which is way beyond absurd.

Maybe that's the case in Chiang Mai, I'm not suggesting that you're lying about what you say you've seen, but it's ridiculous to say that because that's the case in CM so it applies everywhere else across Thailand.

It's just unbelievable that an adult can't see that.

@gummy's mentioned the problem of getting his kids at CMU vaccinated before, and asked for anyone's advice, so it's far from something I'm talking out of turn about. 

If he registers them on expatvac thinking the're going to get Pfizer, as you say they will, and they don't as they're only in their 20's so they turn it down when they find out they can't, that could cause them further issues down the line. 

Don't try to turn that into something it's clearly not - you're making massive potential problems for people with this.

The people on this forum aren't all from CM and confirm the same batch and expiration date, just different serial number as you would expect. 

As for @gummy you can contact him. I've said all there is to say publicly about that.

And I maintain that my initial point was simple. All the rest is in response to your compulsion to pick everything apart, often seen by 3 or 4 consecutive (hidden) posts, without anyone else even talking.

I would suggest that you think a bit more before you unnecessarily pick everything apart, as that is what creates the problems that you now pretend to be so worried about. My initial post was not about any of this, until you made it so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The people on this forum aren't all from CM and confirm the same batch and expiration date, just different serial number as you would expect. 

@Bob20, I really couldn't care about your secret PM army telling you when I've posted something because you've supposedly got me on ignore, and giving you the details about their vaccine batches and expiry dates that unfortunately nobody else is privy to, along with whatever your friend Harvey the invisible giant white rabbit tells you.

None of it's verifiable in any way, and none of it's supported by anything else, anywhere.

20 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

My initial post was not about any of this, until you made it so.

I disagreed with your initial post.

You then made it "about this" by trying to justify it with the nonsense you dreamt up about everyone registered on expatvac getting Pfizer.  Flaming me to divert attention away from the seriously bad advice you've given is a little sad even by your standards.

REGISTRATION  ON  EXPATVAC  DOES  NOT  AUTOMATICALLY  ENTITLE  YOU  TO  PFIZER. 

Be warned if anyone tells you it does - they're more interested in flaming me than they are in giving correct advice.

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The fact that I have the decency to PM other members and not talk about them (or their kids) here doesn't make my statements untrue just because you think so. You could actually verify things by asking the mods for example, but you're not at all interested in the truth, you're only interested in nitpicking and replacing things with... Nothing...

I repeat, you've pulled apart my initial totally innocent opinion and then declare the result dangerous by dismissing everything by replacing it with what you think but which has absolutely no basis, not even corroborated by other members.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Yes, @Bob20, because as usual you'r basing everything you say on your personal experience, ignoring what's widely reported and widely commented on here, and making wild ssumptions without a shred of any other evidence.

No, my "argument of extra delay" was clearly based on the use of AZ.

Well, your information is wrong, @Bob 20, despite your fascination with visiting vaccination events and you somehow being allowed in when apart from outside they're closed to anyone who isn't being vaccinated or their carer if they're incapicated. It's absolutely, completely wrong, based on nothing apart from what you think you've seen, and I'm trying to avoid being offensive but to warn people about taking dangerous advice.

Yours, for example, could make someone register on expatvac thinking they were guaranteed Pfizer, cancelling AZ or Moderna, only to find that they didn't get Pfizer, they'd lost their chance of Moderna, and delayed their chance for AZ.

WHAT YOU'RE SAYING COULD CAUSE SOME PEOPLE HERE SERIOUS PROBLEMS, @BOB20 - try to think of the consequences of what you say occasionally.

Others posting here have had worse outcomes for vaccines than they need have - that's contributed to by comments like yours giving appallingly bad and dangerous advice.

Those for Pfizer, particularly foreigners, are generally called to "vaccination events" where only Pfizer is administered to minimise confusion, so it's no surprise that you saw everyone at those events getting Pfizer because that was all that was being given out - at those events.

That's just nonsense, @Bob20. The only people technically "eligible" for Pfizer here are the over 60's and those with health condtions, whether Thai or foreign.

JHC. Those obviously weren't "expatvac locations" but for anyone registered,  and again that's what you've seen - or think you've seen - nothing else.

This sums it up, @Bob20, and sums up everything that's wrong with these posts and with the dangerous advice you're giving, however well-intentioned it is.

YOU DON'T "KNOW" THAT AT ALL.

All it's possible to "know" from that is that those doses were used ON THAT OCCASION. NOTHING ELSE.

You DON'T know "that they are still using the donated doses from 31 July for expatvac events, so they have truly been reserved".  You're not just making an assumption based on minimal evidence, but it's not even suggested and is completely unsupported by any evidence at all.

You're entitled to your own opinion, @Bob20, as we all are, but what you're claiming to "know" and passing on here as advice which others will act on is dangerous.  You complain about the anti-vaxxers giving dangerous advice, but yours is no different.

FFS think about the consequences of some of what you post.

JHC @Stonker. Can’t you just try to be a little more civilised?  I know you a damaged soul but please. Show a little more restraint and at least try to have a reasonable conversation. This is a predominately expat and Thailand long stay forum. It isn’t a court of law. You are a total pain and are likely to put many potential members ever wanting to post anything. Your attitude and tone is toxic and unacceptable.

Calm down before you do yourself an injury or someone helps you.   

Can someone please get a grip of this guy and stop him destroying a decent forum. I’m sick of reading decent threads and then having his comments visible. I have him on ignore but I see his responses to people who reply. 

Just now, Soidog said:

JHC @Stonker. Can’t you just try to be a little more civilised?  I know you a damaged soul but please. Show a little more restraint and at least try to have a reasonable conversation. This is a predominately expat and Thailand long stay forum. It isn’t a court of law. You are a total pain and are likely to put many potential members ever wanting to post anything. Your attitude and tone is toxic and unacceptable.

Can someone please get a grip of this guy and stop him destroying a decent forum. I’m sick of reading decent threads and then having his comments visible. I have him on ignore but I see his responses to people who reply. 

Wow. The flamers and trolls are out in force. Dare to disagree at your peril! 😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Wow. The flamers and trolls are out in force. Dare to disagree at your peril! 😂

No @Stonker You are fine to disagree. Just grow up a little and learn to disagree without being so disagreeable. Maybe it’s not your fault.  

10 hours ago, LoongFred said:

They could have done better with procurement but initially the counts were under control. It was a mistake going with Sinovax but many other countries were competing for mRNA vaccines, so probably market driven to some extent.  The organization of the rollout takes time and there needs to be a national database.  Since Delta hit in Mar-Apr they didn't do too bad starting the rollout for Thais in May June and foreigners in August. It will never be fast enough for impatient people, but I won't complain.

Once the district hospital got going and had supplies it was greatly improved. 

"They could have done better with procurement but initially the counts were under control."

How could the counts be under control if they were not doing any testing?

Were they guessing the figures and left the rest to hope?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

Please.

In my opinion, I do not accept that comments like "could have done better" and "didn't do too bad" are suitable excuses for a government who did an appalling job of vaccine procurement, nor excused by comments like "initially the counts were under control" and "so probably market driven to some extent".

We're talking about  government ministers responsible for running the country.

I doubt the families of the 18,000+ who've died from Covid only this year in Thailand, and the near 2 million Covid cases, many of whom were serious and hospitalised in ICUs on ventilators, who will never fully recover, the vast majority of whom could have been asymptomatic and unaffected if the government had done a decent job of vaccine procurement and roll out, would be too impressed at being labelled "impatient".

I'm the one who's normally labelled an apologist for Thailand, but you take it to a whole new level, just because the district nurse was a "very nice gal" and your own vaccination went "smoothly" at the hospital.

Your attitude to the Thais who've suffered and died because of this government's incompetent procurement programme, just because "thing worked out OK" for you is simply nauseating.

I agree we should not let the people in control off by statement like, "didn't do too bad" etc, as they have done an appalling job up to now in procuring the vaccines, they were far too late and why did they not order them early on 'just in case'  as they did in the UK for example.

36 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well said. His toxcity ruins it for others who just want to share. I put him on ignore also. I think he came from another forum that seems to thrive on negativity.

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No @Stonker You are fine to disagree. Just grow up a little and learn to disagree without being so disagreeable. Maybe it’s not your fault.  

I went to bed for the night(UK), woke up and an hour later checked the posts, it has all 'kicked off' again, I can't leave you for five minutes without you all getting at each other. 🤣

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't believe there are that many foreigners living in Thailand. I think many westerners have left, when the visa situation got worse. The biggest number of foreigners vaccinated were the Philippino. 

I see.

I did a 'runner' in August last year from Thailand as I could see there was no chance of getting a vaccine there for a long time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

The fact that I have the decency to PM other members and not talk about them (or their kids) here doesn't make my statements untrue just because you think so.

It wasn't just becuse I "think so", @Bob20, but because it's completely unsupported by anything verifiable, and based only on your supposed experience and what others have supposedly told you by PM.

... and my point to @gummy wasn't to talk about him or his kids as you're rather unpleasantly trying to suggest, but was to reply to his request here for any help on how to get his kids at CMU vaccinated with anything but Sinovac.

In hindsight, though, I've no need to tell @gummy that Pfizer isn't available to his kids if they register, as he already knew a week ago in another thread:

On 10/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, gummy said:

Possibly over 55 and / or underlying health issues. Not fit and healthy 32 year olds. Even foreigners under 40 are excluded from registering for Pfizer at Khon Kaen BKK hospital if they have no underlying health conditions.

Oops ..... no need to apologize, @Bob20 😥

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

There are / were "other avenues for expats to get or already have their vaccines": previous registration through other sites, registration through companies / employers for those with work permits, registration through Phuket PHA for those in Phuket, separately for Chinese through their own programme, registration through Chambers of Commerce, Embassies for French, some Aus, Belgians, etc.

Expatvac was simply "mopping up" those who were still unregistered and unvaccinated - the last 70,000 expats.

Cheers thanks for the info and it is great to see so many expats taking up the offer of a vaccine as I know a few expats who have decided they will never take a vaccine no matter which vaccine it is.

My question to them is always, if it is compulsory for you to prove you have had both vaccines in order to get your next year's retirement visa then what will you do?

(This can only happen once mass vaccinations have hit the approx 80% mark for instance.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It wasn't just becuse I "think so", @Bob20, but because it's completely unsupported by anything verifiable, and based only on your supposed experience and what others have supposedly told you by PM.

... and my point to @gummy wasn't to talk about him or his kids as you're rather unpleasantly trying to suggest, but was to reply to his request here for any help on how to get his kids at CMU vaccinated with anything but Sinovac.

In hindsight, though, I've no need to tell @gummy that Pfizer isn't available to his kids if they register, as he already knew a week ago in another thread:

Oops ..... no need to apologize, @Bob20 😥

@Stonker. I have no issue with people talking about me because whilst you talk about me at least you are not talking about others. However I do object when twice in your post you mention my kids when in fact I have never mentioned them in this thread or any other  in the context of being unable to receive Pfizer vaccine. If you care to go back my concern an irritation is that my Thai wife can not get Pfizer vaccine as yet. So please leave reference to my kids out of any discussions you may have with others.

Now for clarity , as you deemed it necessary in your retorts to @Bob20 to quote my previous post, perhaps you can tell me where I have made mention of my children in that post copied below for your referenc ?  Apologies welcomed on a stamped address envelope please 😉

"Possibly over 55 and / or underlying health issues. Not fit and healthy 32 year olds. Even foreigners under 40 are excluded from registering for Pfizer at Khon Kaen BKK hospital if they have no underlying health conditions."

27 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

His toxcity ruins it for others who just want to share.

If what you're sharing is dangerous to others here then I don't think it's unreasonable to disagree, and to disagree strongly.

The three of you clearly don't agree, and see nothing wrong with posting information here that's 100% incorrect and could cost others dearly. Up to you.

Some people are either lucky or they follow the right advice. Others are less fortunate, but had they been more fortunate or followed some better advice here they may have fared better:

On 10/16/2021 at 4:21 PM, kerryd said:

I probably still have my old yellow book (and the newer blue one) laying around somewhere. Didn't bother looking for them when I got my first shot as I suspected no one would know what to do with them anyways.

I registered on the expatvac site. Didn't hear anything. BHP arranged a date/time for me to get an AZ shot in August. 3 weeks later I got a notice (from BHP) to get a Pfizer shot at Central Festival. I'm guessing that was a result of being registered on the expatvac site.

But of course, as I'd already been given a shot of AZ, they wouldn't give me a Pfizer shot so I have to wait 12 weeks to get the second AZ shot (next week).

But no "booster" shot. Or a shot of something else. Unless one of the places I've also registered (and paid on) finally gets the Moderna they've been advertising for months now.

(Even tried to get a Pfizer shot at BHP yesterday after talking to my doc, but as soon as they found out I'd had the AZ shot 10 weeks ago they said no.)

They actually told me that 2 doses of AZ was better than 2 doses of Sino and an AZ "booster". Personally, I'd like to have the AZ, followed by a Pfizer and then a double dose of Moderna as the "booster". Preferably before the rest of the world starts showing up and infection rates skyrocket as they find all manner of people who weren't very honest about having been vaccinated in their home countries.

I've noted before, most of my friends have already had two jabs and a booster jab and I've been waiting 10 weeks now for just the 2nd jab with no idea when (or if) I'll be able to get a booster.

And no idea who is recording it where in the event I need proof of having been jabbed.

The forum can be a source of useful information for others, or it can be taken over by those who simply resort to flaming anyone who dares to point out that they're incorrect.

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If what you're sharing is dangerous to others here then I don't think it's unreasonable to disagree, and to disagree strongly.

The three of you clearly don't agree, and see nothing wrong with posting information here that's 100% incorrect and could cost others dearly. Up to you.

Some people are either lucky or they follow the right advice. Others are less fortunate, but had they been more fortunate or followed some better advice here they may have fared better:

The forum can be a source of useful information for others, or it can be taken over by those who simply resort to flaming anyone who dares to point out that they're incorrect.

But it takes a better person to admit when they are wrong and apologise

10 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yes we did leave - a lot of us western Expats did - several years after the Junta took over. Because we had had enough of what the Junta was doing. Some took their wives, most did not or did not have one.  Yes we want to return - but not under those same 'rules' whereby we are treated as nothing more than tourists and 'walking ATMs' - some were treated like ATMs by the girls, but at least they got something back.  And as I have posted before, there is nowhere near as much interest from western Expats to go and live in Thailand, and Thailand is no longer the number one choice for western Expats looking to live overseas. 

Foreigners do not view Thailand as the preferred tourist or retirement destination anymore. - General discussion - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

I don't see any difference the government makes to us, no matter who is in power as we are not allowed to vote or have a voice in public except of course on sites like this.

Maybe because I only visit for six months a year under normal circumstances I think this way although I did stay there for a year a couple of years ago, I see no difference to us farangs no matter who is in power.

Maybe some farangs who live there full time, become bored and so complain about the government?

If I live in England I still have to pay to live day to day, nothing is free except the NHS(at source) so why is that not the case in Thailand re having to pay to live?

The council is still as corrupt as they have always been eg I had to slip them a few thousand baht to get planning for my new house being built.

Maybe for Thais it has changed but we farangs just tick along in the background as we always have.

As far as Thailand being the number one spot for retirement, I don't think that has ever been the case, most Brits I know who have retired abroad have gone to Spain, Portugal, France, Florida etc, very few retired to Thailand, I think that is the case for Germans and other Europeans too.

Maybe that is not the case in Australia due to you location in the world?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Unfortunately, you started the whole avoidable discussion with a sideways move from what I said in the first place. 

And you didn't point out anything incorrect, but simply bully your way through without any evidence. Not even any backup from batch numbers or expiry dates, while dismissing mine. You could have checked with other members as I offered before (as I really don't think that what is offered in PM should be openly posted), but taking the high road is easier.

And at the same time calling everyone else too stupid to think for themselves as most have divided their chances with several options anyway and will just take the first available acceptable option to them, while not committing to what they don't choose by gracefully declining.

Besides, regardless of the quota or expiry date for the 150k reserved Pfizer, nobody seriously will put all their eggs in that basket via expatvac now, so the danger is mostly in your mind.

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

@Stonker. I have no issue with people talking about me because whilst you talk about me at least you are not talking about others. However I do object when twice in your post you mention my kids when in fact I have never mentioned them in this thread or any other  in the context of being unable to receive Pfizer vaccine. If you care to go back my concern an irritation is that my Thai wife can not get Pfizer vaccine as yet. So please leave reference to my kids out of any discussions you may have with others.

Now for clarity , as you deemed it necessary in your retorts to @Bob20 to quote my previous post, perhaps you can tell me where I have made mention of my children in that post copied below for your referenc ?  Apologies welcomed on a stamped address envelope please 😉

"Possibly over 55 and / or underlying health issues. Not fit and healthy 32 year olds. Even foreigners under 40 are excluded from registering for Pfizer at Khon Kaen BKK hospital if they have no underlying health conditions."

Evidently my mistake, @gummy. When you talked about "foreigners under 40" I simply assumed it was / may have been your kids as I recalled you were trying to find some way of getting them vaccinated with something other than Sinovac.

If that wasn't you, and it may well not have been and been my mistake and I recalled the wrong person (in hindsight I think it may have been @HolyCowCm), then I apoligize unreservedly for it - no need for a SAE, I'm quite happy to apologize publicly.

The reason I quoted your previous post is that it confirms beyond very much doubt that Pfizer is not available to foreigners regardless of age unless thay have specific medical issues, contrary to what @Bob20 has insisted.

In case anyone is still not clear, I've highlighted the relevant part, which is why I quoted you:

""Possibly over 55 and / or underlying health issues. Not fit and healthy 32 year olds. Even foreigners under 40 are excluded from registering for Pfizer at Khon Kaen BKK hospital if they have no underlying health conditions."

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Evidently my mistake, @gummy. When you talked about "foreigners under 40" I simply assumed it was / may have been your kids as I recalled you were trying to find some way of getting them vaccinated with something other than Sinovac.

If that wasn't you, and it may well not have been and been my mistake and I recalled the wrong person (in hindsight I think it may have been @HolyCowCm), then I apoligize unreservedly for it - no need for a SAE, I'm quite happy to apologize publicly.

The reason I quoted your previous post is that it confirms beyond very much doubt that Pfizer is not available to foreigners regardless of age unless thay have specific medical issues, contrary to what @Bob20 has insisted.

In case anyone is still not clear, I've highlighted the relevant part, which is why I quoted you:

""Possibly over 55 and / or underlying health issues. Not fit and healthy 32 year olds. Even foreigners under 40 are excluded from registering for Pfizer at Khon Kaen BKK hospital if they have no underlying health conditions."

Thanks for the apology, no wasn't me so wrong assumption

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

My comments were geared to this general audience. I can write in more scientific terms but it may be lost by others on this forum. 

I have no desire getting into a "flame" war over this. 

I've said my piece and will leave it at that.

BTW what were the death rates in the UK? I think Thai medical professional have done pretty good in comparison. 

The death rates were much higher in the UK than Thailand's at the beginning, but that was because we tested millions of people and Thailand tests very few so we saw the real picture, that rate comparison has reversed now.

It is like if I write my software, if I do not test it then I can assume it works, if I do test it rigorously I will find it has bugs, that does not mean my software is better if I do not test it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And you didn't point out anything incorrect, but simply bully your way through without any evidence. Not even any backup from batch numbers or expiry dates, while dismissing mine. You could have checked with other members as I offered before (as I really don't think that what is offered in PM should be openly posted), but taking the high road is easier.

But you have no "evidence", @Bob20 - just this nonsense about "batch numbers or expiry dates" which you refuse to detail so nobody has any way of verifying, and which even if you did is meaningless as it's obviously not Thailand-wide over the last couple of months but is a tiny snapshot at best.

You're insisting I prove Russell's Teapot, while giving nothing at all to support your outrageous claim.

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You could have checked with other members

No need, @Bob20 - @gummy posted it a week ago, on a different subject, but as I said before  I was unable to find it as there was a problem with the search engine.  I've now psoted it twice and @gummy's posted it once also, but you still seem to be in denial.

You just chose to do the flaming bit instead.

10 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And at the same time calling everyone else too stupid to think for themselves as most have divided their chances with several options anyway and will just take the first available acceptable option to them, while not committing to what they don't choose by gracefully declining.

On the contrary, @Bob20, I've never done anything like that and have deliberately avoided doing so.

With @kerryd, I simply think (and said) that he was unfortunate and may have followed the wrong advice.  He did exactly what you've just advised and took "the first available acceptable option to them, while not committing to what they don't choose by gracefully declining."

As a result he had AZ instead of the Pfizer he wanted and had registered for and is still waiting for his second dose of AZ, is unable to get the Pfizer he would have had, and will probably be unable to get Moderna for the foreseeable future even though he's booked and paid for it as it isn't an approved mix'n'match yet.

It's not a competition, but had he done what I've advised and simply waited his turn then he would have already had both Pfizer jabs, as he wanted, and also be able to get the Moderna he wants as a booster later since it's an approved mix'n'match - exactly what he wanted, rather than the polar opposite.

Thread now locked as civil conversation is in short supply today as well as comments on the topic.

The topic of the thread had been 

Nearly 70,000 foreigners register for vaccines on expatvac site

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1