News Forum - Nearly 70,000 foreigners register for vaccines on expatvac site

Thaiger

My friend living in pattaya was vaccined 6th floor central festival from Bangkok pattaya hospital 

sent me a picture standing with big „ I am vaccained sign „

is was free he says because they made millions of baht off him already ( it’s true I visited countless times him and also stayed there) 

maye he only got NaCL Injektion lolz but I think not  , every vaccained person is a win they know this so I don’t think they make half doses or put in water 

very good hospital this Bangkok pattaya hospital but was kind of shocked when saw the bills. But like I said it’s really awesome and I work in a hospital myself (Germany) 

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Come on guy. They got it together and made it work

Worked best once it was handed off to the Thai Public Health. They seem to know how to make it work. It doesn't appear to  be the result of the "expatvac " but the village organization. The village nurse sought me out, helped with registration and got appointment. Very nice gal.

The shots were at the provincial hospital and as I said before went very smoothly. 

We're talking at cross purposes.

I'm talking about the "procurement" and "vaccine rollout" by the government.

You're talking about how the village nurse is a "very nice gal" and how the procedure at the provincial hospital "went very smoothly".

We're talking about completely different things.

6 hours ago, Dr.Sivada said:

They could publicize one million expats registered and it would make zero difference whatsoever. Why? Because no one has received what they registered for. Lol. 

I did receive my first covid shot on October 4th it was Pfizer I get my second on the 25th also Pfizer 

12 hours ago, Stonker said:

Totally, 100% verifiably untrue.

Nobody "registered" for a specific vaccine, as that wasn't an option on the website.

The vaccine given was based on the information given, namely age and any medical conditions.

69,441 registered;

13,881 were 60 or over;

4,628 had medical  conditions, supported by evidence;

337 were pregnant.

Under 25% were eligible for Pfizer on age or medical grounds as there was considerable overlap between the eligible groups, and all those registered and eligible for Pfizer have already been vaccinated - most, if not all by now, with both doses.

Those offered Pfizer had the option of Astra Zeneca, and a number who would normally have only been offered Astra Zeneca were offered Pfizer because Thailand had said they would offer a certain amount of Pfizer to foreigners although it wasn't a condition of the countries donating Pfizer.

All that information is readily available and widely reported in main media outlets, and has been confirmed by others here and my own personal experience, as well as from the doctor who gave the pre and post injection briefings.

You seem to be 'up' on this type of info.

If there are supposedly a few hundred thousand expats living in Thailand why have so few bothered to register to get a vaccine via this system or are there other avenues for expats to get or already have their vaccines?

14 hours ago, kerryd said:

I probably still have my old yellow book (and the newer blue one) laying around somewhere. Didn't bother looking for them when I got my first shot as I suspected no one would know what to do with them anyways.

I registered on the expatvac site. Didn't hear anything. BHP arranged a date/time for me to get an AZ shot in August. 3 weeks later I got a notice (from BHP) to get a Pfizer shot at Central Festival. I'm guessing that was a result of being registered on the expatvac site.

But of course, as I'd already been given a shot of AZ, they wouldn't give me a Pfizer shot so I have to wait 12 weeks to get the second AZ shot (next week).

But no "booster" shot. Or a shot of something else. Unless one of the places I've also registered (and paid on) finally gets the Moderna they've been advertising for months now.

(Even tried to get a Pfizer shot at BHP yesterday after talking to my doc, but as soon as they found out I'd had the AZ shot 10 weeks ago they said no.)

They actually told me that 2 doses of AZ was better than 2 doses of Sino and an AZ "booster". Personally, I'd like to have the AZ, followed by a Pfizer and then a double dose of Moderna as the "booster". Preferably before the rest of the world starts showing up and infection rates skyrocket as they find all manner of people who weren't very honest about having been vaccinated in their home countries.

I've noted before, most of my friends have already had two jabs and a booster jab and I've been waiting 10 weeks now for just the 2nd jab with no idea when (or if) I'll be able to get a booster.

And no idea who is recording it where in the event I need proof of having been jabbed.

It seems you are in Chiang Mai. If so, you will receive official notice of receiving vaccination with the type and dose information before you leave after receiving the second shot. 

12 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Id like to see an announcement ending compulsory mask wearing once we get to 60% fully vaxxed. 

What is the problen in wearing a mask? 

After seeing you post on a number of threads you are obviously obsessing. Sorry to disappoint you but it will probably be at at least 2023 before you get your wish.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

You're talking about how the village nurse is a "very nice gal" and how the procedure at the provincial hospital "went very smoothly".

They could have done better with procurement but initially the counts were under control. It was a mistake going with Sinovax but many other countries were competing for mRNA vaccines, so probably market driven to some extent.  The organization of the rollout takes time and there needs to be a national database.  Since Delta hit in Mar-Apr they didn't do too bad starting the rollout for Thais in May June and foreigners in August. It will never be fast enough for impatient people, but I won't complain.

Once the district hospital got going and had supplies it was greatly improved. 

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

If there are supposedly a few hundred thousand expats living in Thailand why have so few bothered to register to get a vaccine via this system or are there other avenues for expats to get or already have their vaccines?

I don't believe there are that many foreigners living in Thailand. I think many westerners have left, when the visa situation got worse. The biggest number of foreigners vaccinated were the Philippino. 

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I don't believe there are that many foreigners living in Thailand. I think many westerners have left, when the visa situation got worse. The biggest number of foreigners vaccinated were the Philippino. 

Please provide the reference document that confirms tha1t the greatest number of foreigners vaccinated under the expatvac registration program ( which this thread is about ) were as you say Filipinos.  Frankly I dispute that figure so hence would like to see official figures referenced by you confirming same as else we can all assume it was only an opinion on your part.

36 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Yes we did leave - a lot of us western Expats did - several years after the Junta took over. Because we had had enough of what the Junta was doing. Some took their wives, most did not or did not have one.  Yes we want to return - but not under those same 'rules' whereby we are treated as nothing more than tourists and 'walking ATMs' - some were treated like ATMs by the girls, but at least they got something back.  And as I have posted before, there is nowhere near as much interest from western Expats to go and live in Thailand, and Thailand is no longer the number one choice for western Expats looking to live overseas. 

Foreigners do not view Thailand as the preferred tourist or retirement destination anymore. - General discussion - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

"Procurement" was by donation of 1.5 million doses of Pfizer ... Not the Thai Gov.
Without the donation expats would still be at the bottom of the list as the Thai Health Minister wanted.

The article was promoting the ExpatVac site.  Up in CM we had to register there then also register on "Wall of Chiang Mai" site.  This was passed on by word of mouth.

Edited by Haole.TH

15 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Id like to see an announcement ending compulsory mask wearing once we get to 60% fully vaxxed. 

Why? 85% is the usual percentage needed for 'herd immunity' against pathogens. I rather like not having to endure other's respiratory cooties.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

The ending of mask wearing can be expected when 80% of the population are double dose vaccinated. That's become the norm in so many countries (including my own). 

The particle mutates so effectively there  can be no 'herd immunity',   it's likely here to stay, especially with so many Asian countries using the dismal efficacy vaccines and  travel  now on the rise  We can only hope  it  burns out and becomes no more serious than its cousin, the common cold- of course everyone will need to get it for that to  happen, bit of a Catch-22 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

I just happened to be at  Thalang District  hospital in Phuket , so I asked and was told to come back in a few days. I  got Sinovac for the first dose at the  end  of August, then AZ  three weeks later - hopefully a full dosing but it  was so painless, they may have used the new sub-cutaneous method that only uses 20 % of the full  dose.  I got some mild symptoms  from the AZ for about 36 hours  so it appears to be sufficient.

After the second shot, I was directed to a desk  and immediately obtained a certificate of vax for 50 baht- took them three tries to get my name spelled right. 

Edited by ChristyS

3 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

It seems you are in Chiang Mai. If so, you will receive official notice of receiving vaccination with the type and dose information before you leave after receiving the second shot. 

Um, I'm in Pattaya. Not sure why you think Chiang Mai, though I usually make a quick trip through there in early December each year (for the annual Bike Week party that is basically just one Saturday afternoon/evening each year).

9 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

Why? 85% is the usual percentage needed for 'herd immunity' against pathogens. I rather like not having to endure other's respiratory cooties.

The particle mutates so effectively there  can be no 'herd immunity',   it's likely here to stay, especially with so many Asian countries using the dismal efficacy vaccines and  travel  now on the rise  We can only hope  it  burns out and becomes no more serious than its cousin, the common cold- of course everyone will need to get it for that to  happen, bit of a Catch-22 

No one knows for sure  the % vaccinated via shots or natural immunity that it takes for herd immunity.  The general idea now is that covid will remain as an endemic disease, but somewhat controllable.  Therapeutics will become the key because it's been shown that vaccinated people can still get the disease and pass it on

Hopefully infections will become more manageable and less serious.  That's why the medical authorities say we need to find ways to live with covid.

20 hours ago, Dr.Sivada said:

They could publicize one million expats registered and it would make zero difference whatsoever. Why? Because no one has received what they registered for. Lol. 

we were mislead to believe that anyone over 60 years of age will get 2 shots of AZ as pm ocha said sinovac was not suitable for over 60s,yet the vaccine when l made appointment and they have my info,they only offered sinovac,so l declined as its not recognised as being fully vaccine by international travel.l no longer trust the vaccine program here and the nonsense reporting

17 hours ago, Smithydog said:

The communication from the Government on general vaccine matters with this seemingly message a day method certainly rated a low mark. There seemed to be a lack of cohesive message plan apart from confusion.

But from the moment I registered on the Expatvac site through to notification and most certainly the first injection itself, I would rate my personal experiences as simply excellent. For me, it showed simply great credit to all involved along the Expatvac process.

I received notification of the expatvac site via my embassy.  The Thai government communicates in Thai to the Thai media about what's going on. It's up to foreign media to translate and send it on

Why would the Thai government need to communicate specifically with foreigners?  After all not all foreigners speak English. I think it should come from their embassy. 

Once set up, the Thai Healthcare did a great job.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

There are / were "other avenues for expats to get or already have their vaccines": previous registration through other sites, registration through companies / employers for those with work permits, registration through Phuket PHA for those in Phuket, separately for Chinese through their own programme, registration through Chambers of Commerce, Embassies for French, some Aus, Belgians, etc.

Expatvac was simply "mopping up" those who were still unregistered and unvaccinated - the last 70,000 expats.

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Please provide the reference document that confirms tha1t the greatest number of foreigners vaccinated under the expatvac registration program ( which this thread is about ) were as you say Filipinos.  Frankly I dispute that figure so hence would like to see official figures referenced by you confirming same as else we can all assume it was only an opinion on your part.

It's in the article, @gummy ("So far, the nationality with the most registered requests for vaccines is Filipinos with nearly 8,000 expats requesting inoculation"), but it's ONLY for the 70,000 registered on the expatvac site, not overall.

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

The site was setup for expats, but not for all who are technically expats. The largest numbers of expats are from Laos/Myanmar/Cambodia but the site wasn't meant for them and you didn't see them at the vaccination events.

And the Chinese (largest number of expats beyond the above three) and French were vaccinated through their embassies.

The expatvac site merged several other sites into one, so the figure seems lowish. But not only did the number of expats reduce greatly over the last years, but also a number of them would not have been in the country at the time Covid hit and quite a number did a vaccine trip much earlier on before Songkran.

What surprises me most though, is that the number of below 70k registrations (which was already at the level of 65.000 by end of August) hasn't yet been fully jabbed.

37 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I received notification of the expatvac site via my embassy.  The Thai government communicates in Thai to the Thai media about what's going on. It's up to foreign media to translate and send it on

The details of the expatvac site were officialy announced in English as well Thai by the government, which was repeated / reported in the Thai and English language Thai press.Where annoncemets are specifically for foreigners it has to make sense, at least to most people, for them to be in a language most foreigners can understand, and more can understand English than Thai.

40 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Why would the Thai government need to communicate specifically with foreigners?

JHC.  Because the expatvac site and the vaccinations are FOR foreigners, not Thais.

41 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I think it should come from their embassy. 

Far from all foreigners here are registered with their Embassies - according to many embassies (including UK and Aus) the vast majority aren't, and that's just residents not tourists, those on Covid extensions, etc. Many embassies will only pass on general information, not specifics tailored to individuals, and they rely on individuals to do things for themselves abroad as their consular services are limited (as they keep saying).

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

What surprises me most though, is that the number of below 70k registrations (which was already at the level of 65.000 by end of August) hasn't yet been fully jabbed.

It shouldn't, since there's a gap of one month between jabs for Pfizer, but a gap of up to 12 weeks between AZ jabs for maximum efficacy.

12 weeks takes you back to 20 July from when the article / data was published, and the site only opened and registration only started on 1 August, so it would be impossible for everyone to be fully jabbed by now.

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The details of the expatvac site were officialy announced in English as well Thai by the government, which was repeated / reported in the Thai and English language Thai press.Where annoncemets are specifically for foreigners it has to make sense, at least to most people, for them to be in a language most foreigners can understand, and more can understand English than Thai.

JHC.  Because the expatvac site and the vaccinations are FOR foreigners, not Thais.

Far from all foreigners here are registered with their Embassies - according to many embassies (including UK and Aus) the vast majority aren't, and that's just residents not tourists, those on Covid extensions, etc. Many embassies will only pass on general information, not specifics tailored to individuals, and they rely on individuals to do things for themselves abroad as their consular services are limited (as they keep saying).

Your correct that the MFA spokesman was very good newscast in excellent English.  However, not all foreigners were aware and many don't bother to register with their embassy. Initial attempts were Bangkok specific, which was a problem for those living far away. I was frustrated that the notication was very short and restricted. However, thing soon worked out OK. 

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You know not everyone, foreigners, wants the jab. It is pretty accepted by most Thai I know though.