News Forum - 38 countries reportedly on short list for no quarantine reopening

Thaiger

On 10/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, Rasputin said:

How the hell did India, USA and the UK get on the list, they are all reporting huge numbers of daily new cases. The UK alone are reporting around 40,000 a DAY, and India being on the list, beggars belief, it would be the last place I would have on it. The current surge in UK infections that the UK is suffering came from returnees from India, we WERE reporting extremely low numbers prior to this screw-up from Boris. I suspect 'Thainomics' are the answer, but with the best will in the world, I can't see a good outcome coming from it. I was hoping to take a 3 month trip back to Thailand early next year, but with the current decisions being made, it's looking increasingly doubtful.

I think the increase in numbers in the U.K. may well have its origins of the delta virus imported from India, however the rise is in fact due to lockdown restrictions being removed some weeks ago. It’s now business as usual in the U.K.  go anywhere, do anything without masks, social distancing, people back to work, no restrictions of numbers on public transport etc. I believe that is the reason for the increase in numbers. If the population wasn’t so well vaccinated, with 40,000 cases a day we would expect to see around 1,000 deaths. This was the case and daily deaths back in Jan/Feb 2021. Today it’s the same daily cases but with 140 deaths. Thank god for the vaccines or we would be seeing many more daily deaths and back in lockdown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Today it’s the same daily cases but with 140 deaths.

One of the unanswered questions is if the vaccines have any effect on long COVID. I mean death and hospitalization are important, but many of the long COVID sufferers are mild to moderate cases. More interesting studies for the future.

9 hours ago, JamesE said:

One of the unanswered questions is if the vaccines have any effect on long COVID. I mean death and hospitalization are important, but many of the long COVID sufferers are mild to moderate cases. More interesting studies for the future.

Yes the so called Long Covid is a growing problem and little understood or indeed highlighted. For many people it totally destroys their ability to return to work or get on with raising a family. It also seems to strike all age groups and people without any previous underlying conditions. I feel it’s one of those situations where a breakthrough treatment will come soon. At least I hope so! 

On 10/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, Chameleon said:

Someone asked : How the hell did the United States make Thailand's top ten list ?

I will not comment on one's arrogance and ignorance on this matter.

The USA has 189 million people fully vaccinated and another 36 million who have received 1 jab .

Outside of China, there is no country that even comes close to the number of vaccinated Americans.

Additionally, 44 million Americans have had and recovered from Covid 19, a large potential source of travelers when the world recognizes natural immunity is as good as if not better than vaccine protection.

But, alas, I digress.

Feel free to attack the USA, but drawing from a pool of 189 million fully vaccinated  plus another potential trove within the 36 million single jab group is a rather intelligent distinction made by the powers that be.

Not talking about Indian spending power (or desire) by any means but as per ourworldindata.org - India has 278 fully vaccinated people AND 691 million people have received at least one vaccination dose and India will definitely cross 1,000,000,000 doses before the month is out (that's one billion for the lesser educated)

We have all (and quite rightly) criticized the Covid vaccinations approach in Thailand in recent months.  But I also have to admit that the European Union is not an example of an effective Covid19 policy either. The countries of the EU all have their own Covid rules and each have different guidelines regarding recognized vaccines.  A small example: I, a Belgian living in Thailand, vaccinated with Sinovac and Astra Zeneca fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam (The Netherlands) where my vaccinations from Thailand are recognised, then I go by road to my own country Belgium, where the vaccines  Sinovac, and Sinopharm (my wife got these 2 X) are not accepted at all!  And all this within the same European Union.  !

Edited by Rudi

3 minutes ago, Rudi said:

We have all (and quite rightly) criticized the Covid vaccinations approach in Thailand in recent months.  But I also have to admit that the European Union is not an example of an effective Covid19 policy either. The countries of the EU all have their own Covid rules and each have different guidelines regarding recognized vaccines.  A small example: I, a Belgian living in Thailand, vaccinated with Sinovac and Astra Zeneca fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam (The Netherlands) where my vaccinations from Thailand are recognised, then I go by road to my own country Belgium, where the vaccines  Sinovac, and Sinopharm (my wife got these 2 X) are not accepted at all!  And all this within the same European Union.  !

Another successful advert for Brexit....🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

5 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

9 minutes ago, Rudi said:

If we're going to start about the EU, Thaiger need to invest in a new server with a few hundred TB of space first 🤣

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rudi said:

You should vote to leave the EU 😂

maybe it was not legal to go by car to Belgium directly,
same situation for Germany,
Sinovac is accepted for entry in about 9 European countries only,
like Austria, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland

On 10/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, Chameleon said:

Someone asked : How the hell did the United States make Thailand's top ten list ?

I will not comment on one's arrogance and ignorance on this matter.

The USA has 189 million people fully vaccinated and another 36 million who have received 1 jab .

So, 143 million Americans (43%) are still not fully vaccinated? In the USA at this moment: confirmed cases per million: 135000. Despite your valiant efforts to justify the USA, these numbers are NOT good!

28 minutes ago, Rudi said:

On a more serious footing @Rudi  I totally agree. I’ve said a few times now, that there has to be a “best practice” approach to a number of issues with Covid. We are told that decisions are all based on “the science”. If it’s based on science, then the multitudes of approach’s to everything from Lockdowns, to Vaccine policy to reopening policy, either shows people aren’t really listening to “the science” or the science isn’t as scientific as we are lead to believe?  

As for the EU aspect. I think Covid has shown just how politically fragmented it really is when push comes to shove. Covid has, in my view, highlighted the charade and facade the EU politicians play and portray. I guess some pro-EU would say Covid highlights exactly why there should be stronger integration?….

2 minutes ago, Rudi said:

So, 143 million Americans (43%) are still not fully vaccinated? In the USA at this moment: confirmed cases per million: 135000. Despite your valiant efforts to justify the USA, these numbers are NOT good!

I’m the last person who would try to support the US on many issues. However, quoting cases/million takes us back to the case count, which relies on testing. Less tests less cases as we all know.

I think the decision to allow the US and U.K. are for similar reasons. The Thais will at least know that our cases numbers are based on random and high volume testing. They also know we have vaccinated all potential visitors and they know a preflight PCR test will be accurate and genuine.  The same of course can be said for many other countries such as Sweden, Norway, Germany and Canada, to name but a few

On 10/17/2021 at 1:00 AM, JohninDubin said:

You might be right, but in spite of those numbers, and knowing that the VAX is not foolproof, I can imagine why many will question whether allowing the US unrestricted access to their countries might need a cautious approach. OTOH, those who have been vaxxed, are likely to enjoy better outcomes if they do become infected, but it does not stop them being carriers and based on active cases, of which the US accounts for 55% of all such cases, there is huge reservoir to draw upon.

Granted, however that hasn't been the case to date. American's have been traveling to Thailand ever since the Phuket sandbox has opened and in larger numbers than any other country. The additional risk that you point out has not been manifesting itself once in Thailand. No doubt a lot of that comes from the fact you can't travel unless you are fully vaccinated and tested. However I think some of it might come from the idea most of the people who have been traveling from America internationally are more likely to come from areas of the US with higher vaccination rates. The majority of cases of in the US are still being generated by the same dozen states. The rest of them are doing pretty good. Personally I don't think come November 1 you will see a wave of US travelers to Thailand. The numbers will go up a little, but most Americans who want to travel internationally have been always been able to do so. American snowbirds don't need to leave North America to get out of the cold, heck they don't even need to leave the US. 

41 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Granted, however that hasn't been the case to date. American's have been traveling to Thailand ever since the Phuket sandbox has opened and in larger numbers than any other country. The additional risk that you point out has not been manifesting itself once in Thailand. No doubt a lot of that comes from the fact you can't travel unless you are fully vaccinated and tested. However I think some of it might come from the idea most of the people who have been traveling from America internationally are more likely to come from areas of the US with higher vaccination rates. The majority of cases of in the US are still being generated by the same dozen states. The rest of them are doing pretty good. Personally I don't think come November 1 you will see a wave of US travelers to Thailand. The numbers will go up a little, but most Americans who want to travel internationally have been always been able to do so. American snowbirds don't need to leave North America to get out of the cold, heck they don't even need to leave the US. 

I wouldn't dispute any of those statements. I was thinking out loud, as to why, if it were my decision, I would add or remove the US on the list of countries that I would allow into my country. 

1 hour ago, Griff1315 said:

Funny people, those British.
They leave because they want that every country can apply their own rules, especially the UK... and then they make fun because there is no unit in rulind and every country makes his own rules.  🤔🤔🙄