News Forum - 38 countries reportedly on short list for no quarantine reopening

Thaiger

People were elated to hear that Thailand was launching a select reopening on November 1, but confusion exists over their statement that they would open 17 provinces to 10 low-risk countries, with the list of provinces and countries as yet unnamed and undecided just 2 weeks before the launch date. Government officials had suggested 5 countries on the shortlist and a handful of provinces that would be amongst those reopening, but now a list is being reported in Thai media of 38 possible countries deemed to have low Covid-19 risk, though some are observing the list is based more on […]

The story 38 countries reportedly on short list for no quarantine reopening as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The new rumoured list includes 24 unnamed countries in the European Union, plus 5 Nordic countries: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. Of the 5 Nordic countries, 3 of them – Denmark, Finland, and Sweden – area also EU members, while Iceland and Norway are members of the related European Economic Area."

The question that we are all asking is; when will the Republic of Elbonia be added to the list?

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Haha 3

who is going to monitor the movements of these infected tourists bringing in a fresh batch of China Virus? 

what if this is your tenth trip to Thailand and you know your way around and just head to wherever you want to go? who is going to stop you?

what about non Thai people living in the non approved areas, will they be persona non grata?

i do not like green eggs and ham Sam i am. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

who is going to monitor the movements of these infected tourists bringing in a fresh batch of China Virus? 

what if this is your tenth trip to Thailand and you know your way around and just head to wherever you want to go? who is going to stop you?

what about non Thai people living in the non approved areas, will they be persona non grata?

You worry too much. Relax, your vaccination will help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How on earth can India be on the list for 1st November but not China or Singapore who have controlled the pandemic much better?

About time for some transparency as to how this list was made would help. Even if the powers at be change their minds yet again or numbers of infected fell or suddenly increased.

• Like 3

Is it any wonder that overseas tour operators are simply not paying any attention to this and are not booking their customers to Thailand. They are beyond sick of the constant chaos, ridiculous complexities and lack of strategy. They need to have a  minimum 3 - 6 month time horizon to even think about this country, but also understand that our leadership have an attention span measured in minutes. Thailand is being made into a global laughing stock.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Is it any wonder that overseas tour operators are simply not paying any attention to this and are not booking their customers to Thailand. They are beyond sick of the constant chaos, ridiculous complexities and lack of strategy. They need to have a  minimum 3 - 6 month time horizon to even think about this country, but also understand that our leadership have an attention span measured in minutes. Thailand is being made into a global laughing stock.

Yes, you said yesterday.

27 minutes ago, Pompies said:

Absolutely! The people that are on this forum looking at separate flights and hotels (or have their own accommodation) don't make up the numbers. That's the package tourist. And although operators can be quick to offer low price packages, especially with empty hotels and planes, the extra paperwork throws a spanner in the works.

All is geared towards an intentional delay. But even that will lead to opening too soon. I've said all along, you set a vaccination target and then you plan. Not set an impossible date and then keep moving it. Unless you want to fool people into believing help is just around the corner and in the meantime don't pay any assistance. Much better to spend that on a big opening party than on your own people 🤬

• Like 2

It will be fine, not that many people will be coming anyway, so there won't be a massive uptick in case numbers. In a few months we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Hey bud,

The tourists are more likely to be vaccinated than the Thais.  So ask yourself- which group is more likely to spread the virus to which group.  Further- since the vaccines don't appear to work- when does this all end?  You should stay in your apartment for the rest of your life to avoid catching the Chinese cold.

• Haha 1

And where is Australia specificaly NSW opening no Quarantine 80% double dose soon be 90% 12 years up.

I would like to visit family and return home to Trang.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kmc said:

Hey bud,

The tourists are more likely to be vaccinated than the Thais.  So ask yourself- which group is more likely to spread the virus to which group.  Further- since the vaccines don't appear to work- when does this all end?  You should stay in your apartment for the rest of your life to avoid catching the Chinese cold.

thanks Mac,

i'll go outside now. 

• Haha 1

First i appreciate a lot the thaiger news! I know there s nothing sure for now about the reopenning but my concern is about children: there s never mention of if a child who cannot be vaccinated due to his age can come with his vaccinated parents...can you look deeper into that?

9 minutes ago, Somchai said:

A lot of European and American visitors   fly via Qatar  or Dubai, so it is crucial that the UAE and Qatar are on the safe list.

If your transiting then you remain 'airside' and haven't officially entered the Country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Infected tourists!

They must have a negative PCR test before being able to board a flight, then a further negative PCR test on arrival before they're allowed to 'freely' roam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

How on earth can India be on the list for 1st November but not China or Singapore who have controlled the pandemic much better?

The 5 named Countries are the UK, Germany, China, Singapore and the USA.

42 minutes ago, PHG said:

First i appreciate a lot the thaiger news! I know there s nothing sure for now about the reopenning but my concern is about children: there s never mention of if a child who cannot be vaccinated due to his age can come with his vaccinated parents...can you look deeper into that?

Children under the age of 18 do not have to be fully vaccinated, if travelling with vaccinated parents, but must have the relevant PCR tests and Covid Insurance cover.

Children under 6 are allowed to undergo saliva tests.

• Like 2

Got to wonder who puts the lists together and what their criteria really is. 

Canada's not on the list, but Iceland is ? And India ?

It seems the list is based on who they think will spend the most if they come, not on which countries are "safer" than others.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kerryd said:

Got to wonder who puts the lists together and what their criteria really is. 

Canada's not on the list, but Iceland is ? And India ?

It seems the list is based on who they think will spend the most if they come, not on which countries are "safer" than others.

Hmmm. I wonder why?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Faz said:

The 5 named Countries are the UK, Germany, China, Singapore and the USA.

Faz I was referring to the last portion of the article not the 5 named nations. Please consult attached below.

The other 9 named countries under consideration for entry on November 1 are India, Israel, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, UK and the US. (Oddly, both China and Singapore that were previously named did not appear on this list.)

I can see the sense in allowing all these nations to be considered but after consulting a lot of information about how India has handled the pandemic I still believe that both Singapore and China would be more worthy for the Nov 1 list.

44 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Faz I was referring to the last portion of the article not the 5 named nations. Please consult attached below.

The other 9 named countries under consideration for entry on November 1 are India, Israel, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, UK and the US. (Oddly, both China and Singapore that were previously named did not appear on this list.)

I can see the sense in allowing all these nations to be considered but after consulting a lot of information about how India has handled the pandemic I still believe that both Singapore and China would be more worthy for the Nov 1 list.

Faz...sorry about this but Singapore has been named as both member of the 5 nations and unmentioned on the Nov1 list. Bit of confusion but I still believe that India should be put on hold just a little longer.