News Forum - Soi Dog Foundation provides food relief for animals in flood-hit central Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand’s Soi Dog Foundation has this week provided over 40 tons of dog and cat food for 3,000+ animals affected by severe flooding in the central Thai provinces of Ayutthaya and Sing Buri. The food was distributed to stray and domestic animals in five districts… Bang Ban, Sena, Bang Pahan and Tha Ruea in Ayutthaya, and in Buri in Sing Buri. Soi Dog Community Relations Manager Sakdapol Thongjan says they received reports of dogs and cats suffering as a result of the flooding and came up with a plan to help, with the first priority being those who are starving. […]

The story Soi Dog Foundation provides food relief for animals in flood-hit central Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Soi dog mostly perpetuates suffering by feeding strays and has just kept the population growth down slightly with the sterilization work. Gives people a feel good glow that something worthwhile is being done when mass euthanasia would be far more beneficial. Their work is no solution to the millions of stray dogs and cats in Thailand as a whole, people just want to think it is.

"Soi Dog Foundation has helped large numbers of animals displaced by flooding over the years, including in Nakhon Si Thammarat last year, in Ubon Ratchathani in 2019 and in Bangkok between 2011 and 2012. In addition to donating food, the foundation has also provided assistance in the form of sterilisation, vaccination and the reunion of lost animals with their owners."

I suspect that pretty much every expat wished that Thailand took a better approach to caring for animals; I think we have all seen the poor dog/cat with disease and awful skin aliments suffering and wish that a merciful, humane option was there to put the animal out of its pain.

That is an issue for Thai people, but I do hope they will choose to cull unwanted and/or sick animals; it just seems more merciful to me.

Until then...

Yeah Soi Dog Foundation!!!!!!

I donate to them regularly, and I hope everyone does; they do great work in caring for homeless animals, they do what they can to control over-populations, and they improve the quality of life for many of our friends.

I have had animals in my life since the day I was born, and each and every one of them was a member of my family.

If you get a chance; drop a 20 Baht (or more) note into the collection jars; a little goes a long way.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

a little goes a long way.

You are right as a good dog marinated overnight can feed half the village the next day. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Soi Dog Foundation has helped large numbers of animals displaced by flooding over the years, including in Nakhon Si Thammarat last year, in Ubon Ratchathani in 2019 and in Bangkok between 2011 and 2012. In addition to donating food, the foundation has also provided assistance in the form of sterilisation, vaccination and the reunion of lost animals with their owners."

I suspect that pretty much every expat wished that Thailand took a better approach to caring for animals; I think we have all seen the poor dog/cat with disease and awful skin aliments suffering and wish that a merciful, humane option was there to put the animal out of its pain.

That is an issue for Thai people, but I do hope they will choose to cull unwanted and/or sick animals; it just seems more merciful to me.

Until then...

I donate to them regularly, and I hope everyone does; they do great work in caring for homeless animals, they do what they can to control over-populations, and they improve the quality of life for many of our friends.

I have had animals in my life since the day I was born, and each and every one of them was a member of my family.

If you get a chance; drop a 20 Baht (or more) note into the collection jars; a little goes a long way.

Cheers

Agreed. During the floods in 2011 I had to canoe to my home and was shocked by how many animals were left starving on roofs and in trees. Thumbs up for the Soi Dog Foundation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Soi dog mostly perpetuates suffering by feeding strays and has just kept the population growth down slightly with the sterilization work. Gives people a feel good glow that something worthwhile is being done when mass euthanasia would be far more beneficial. Their work is no solution to the millions of stray dogs and cats in Thailand as a whole, people just want to think it is.

I tend to agree - feeding the strays only causes more strays - especially cats.  Tim learned that lesson himself when he took in a stray 'kitten' and later found out that although only 6 mths old she was already pregnant. What they should be doing, and financially supported by the Thai Govt because they cant/wont do it themselves, is to create animal shelters where stray dogs and cats can be taken (by themselves and others), where they are sterilised and kept apart so they cannot and dont breed more strays, where they are vaccinated and other vet services provided, where they are cleaned up and looked after and then sold to people who want a pet, and where they are painlessly euthanised if they are not taken within a period of time (years?).  Many Thais find merit in looking after stray animals, and many Thais will drop a pet in a temple if they cannot afford to look after them - the time is right to break the cycle.  Set up animal shelters, and allow Thais to donate (have some recognition for those giving a lot - like name a kennel after them),  allow Thais to give to the shelter their unwanted pets free of charge, and so many other things.  In Aust the RTSPCA has done that in every city and most towns - they are supported financially by people (like me) and the Govts, and they are very successful in reducing the number of strays who used to live poor lives and die badly.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I tend to agree - feeding the strays only causes more strays - especially cats.  Tim learned that lesson himself when he took in a stray 'kitten' and later found out that although only 6 mths old she was already pregnant. What they should be doing, and financially supported by the Thai Govt because they cant/wont do it themselves, is to create animal shelters where stray dogs and cats can be taken (by themselves and others), where they are sterilised and kept apart so they cannot and dont breed more strays, where they are vaccinated and other vet services provided, where they are cleaned up and looked after and then sold to people who want a pet, and where they are painlessly euthanised if they are not taken within a period of time (years?).  Many Thais find merit in looking after stray animals, and many Thais will drop a pet in a temple if they cannot afford to look after them - the time is right to break the cycle.  Set up animal shelters, and allow Thais to donate (have some recognition for those giving a lot - like name a kennel after them),  allow Thais to give to the shelter their unwanted pets free of charge, and so many other things.  In Aust the RTSPCA has done that in every city and most towns - they are supported financially by people (like me) and the Govts, and they are very successful in reducing the number of strays who used to live poor lives and die badly.  

That would be the sensible solution but people would say it goes against their Buddhist beliefs, those beliefs don't stop them abusing other animals though. They won't kill pest cats and dogs but have no problem with millions of other animals being killed every year for food- as it's somebody else doing the killing. At least Wats like ours have signs up now warning of CCTV and any caught dumping pets liable to 40k baht fine. Take a long time to change this making a merit (by prolonging suffering) nonsense and refusing to end life attitudes here. Tim had the chance to abort more unwanted kittens but bottled it, people at home used to drown them as soon as they were born, i'd suggest he does the same.

What causes such difficulty to tackle the problem? Is it the religion? The good old laziness? Or they're just blind to certain problems, just like the traffic slaughter and the garbage piles.

21 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Until then...

Cheers

The only way I would give an animal charity cash is if they were getting rid of strays, not pretending to solve the problems they cause by making a splash about feeding and sterilizing a few. They might stop a very small number from breeding but they are still able to bite, bark, poop and cause traffic hazards. The number they get adopted is a tiny drop in the ocean. I bet you most if not all of these doggy do gooders actually eat other animals!

23 minutes ago, thai3 said:

The only way I would give an animal charity cash is if they were getting rid of strays, not pretending to solve the problems they cause by making a splash about feeding and sterilizing a few. They might stop a very small number from breeding but they are still able to bite, bark, poop and cause traffic hazards. The number they get adopted is a tiny drop in the ocean. I bet you most if not all of these doggy do gooders actually eat other animals!

You act like the Soi Dog Foundation and similar organizations are somehow responsible for Thailand's stray animal problem; what a ridiculous idea.

The animal problem in Thailand is caused by humans, and more specifically by humans not managing their garbage. Simply put, if humans provide food (in the guise of garbage), then some kind of animal, be it a dog, a cat, a rat, or some other species will be nearby to eat it; that is how life works. If you want to see a reduction in the number of animals about, you need to reduce or remove their food source. Period.

Respectfully, save your distain for the actual humans who cause this problem, and not for those who try to do something about it, however small that effort might be.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

You act like the Soi Dog Foundation and similar organizations are somehow responsible for Thailand's stray animal problem; what a ridiculous idea.

The animal problem in Thailand is caused by humans, and more specifically by humans not managing their garbage. Simply put, if humans provide food (in the guise of garbage), then some kind of animal, be it a dog, a cat, a rat, or some other species will be nearby to eat it; that is how life works. If you want to see a reduction in the number of animals about, you need to reduce or remove their food source. Period.

Respectfully, save your distain for the actual humans who cause this problem, and not for those who try to do something about it, however small that effort might be.

I am not suggesting Soi dog as responsible for anything other than making almost no difference to the problem. Yes it's caused by humans so it's up to us to solve the problem of millions of these strays, that will not be achieved by feeding and sterilizing a few. You support them doing it by giving them money, but then say remove their food source. So you prefer them starving to death and suffering rather than a quick painless exit?

4 minutes ago, thai3 said:

I am not suggesting Soi dog as responsible for anything other than making almost no difference to the problem. Yes it's caused by humans so it's up to us to solve the problem of millions of these strays, that will not be achieved by feeding and sterilizing a few. You support them doing it by giving them money, but then say remove their food source. So you prefer them starving to death and suffering rather than a quick painless exit?

Our local orbiter takes care of rabies and sterilization here. They sometimes have programs to raise money and sometimes I give some cash. I'm always willing to help. One of our temples so takes in stray dogs and they might ask for dog food. We usually drop off 2 or 3 large bags when we go or when the monks are on their morning rounds. 

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand's Soi Dog Foundation has this week provided over 40 tons of dog and cat food for 3,000+ animals 

Something's badly not right here.

40 tons of food for 3,000 dogs and cats for a week - that's around 2 kg of food  for each dog or cat every day.

They'd have to be 100kgs each to get through that amount of food, including the cats (according to Soi Dog Foundation there are1,950 dogs and 1,118 cats).

My dogs are all pretty big, over 30 kgs, with good appetites, well fed, they eat dry dog food, and they eat a quarter of that.

Something doesn't add up here.

Only  some of the miserable bastatds on this forum could complain about Soi Dog Foundation trying to do some good.

I swear, some of the guys are here are the most miserable people I have ever encountered 

What the hell happens to you in life to make you so miserable????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Our local orbiter takes care of rabies and sterilization here. They sometimes have programs to raise money and sometimes I give some cash. I'm always willing to help. One of our temples so takes in stray dogs and they might ask for dog food. We usually drop off 2 or 3 large bags when we go or when the monks are on their morning rounds. 

They rounded up al the stays in our moo baan a few years ago, 14 altogether and just dumped them up the road! Mrs got savaged by a stray which had attacked 4 others including 2 kids in the previous 2 weeks, it was still being fed by locals under this making a merit delusion. There is a big reason why they have this aversion to dealing with the problem of course, and it's not Buddhism,

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Only  some of the miserable bastatds on this forum could complain about Soi Dog Foundation trying to do some good.

I swear, some of the guys are here are the most miserable people I have ever encountered 

Insulting people who you disagree with I think is probably against the rules. Are you one of those animal lovers who actually eats them? The distinction between pets and livestock is purely artificial and man made, animals are animals. If you don't mind them being killed for you to eat why mind about ending their suffering as strays? It's the highest form of hypocrisy.

48 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not "complaining", just pointing out that something obviously doesn't add up - badly.

I don't know about you, but I've not seen too many 100 kg cats, or dogs, which is the size of a buffalo calf.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thai3 said:

They rounded up al the stays in our moo baan a few years ago, 14 altogether and just dumped them up the road! Mrs got savaged by a stray which had attacked 4 others including 2 kids in the previous 2 weeks, it was still being fed by locals under this making a merit delusion. There is a big reason why they have this aversion to dealing with the problem of course, and it's not Buddhism,

Yea. I've seen Thais feeding stray dogs. I carry a long walking stick when I  take my dogs out. I had a German Shepard a couple of years ago, that almost got into it with a couple of local dogs, but they wisely backed off. Since then I8 carry my stick and they don't come close. The GS isn't aggressive toward others but is very protective and shows he won't back down.

Where we're at there aren't a lot of strays  but our neighbors seem to let there dogs roam,  which is the same problem.

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

That would be the sensible solution but people would say it goes against their Buddhist beliefs, those beliefs don't stop them abusing other animals though. They won't kill pest cats and dogs but have no problem with millions of other animals being killed every year for food- as it's somebody else doing the killing. At least Wats like ours have signs up now warning of CCTV and any caught dumping pets liable to 40k baht fine. Take a long time to change this making a merit (by prolonging suffering) nonsense and refusing to end life attitudes here. Tim had the chance to abort more unwanted kittens but bottled it, people at home used to drown them as soon as they were born, i'd suggest he does the same.

Maybe not go that far - but I understand the sentiment.  Stray cats especially are bad - they do a lot of damage to the local wildlife and they breed like rabbits. Dogs are not as self-sufficient and will often die of starvation - cats are the world's best predators and usually survive much longer than a lost dog.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Until then...

Cheers

Well said mate. Don’t worry about the collection jars mind you. I’ll post my bank details and you can send it straight to me 😂

Joking apart. The Soi Dog foundation does a fantastic job. One post suggested they do little to solve the stay dog issue in Thailand. That’s not their main focus. It was established by a fantastic English couple who’s hearts were touched by the suffering of these animals. John Dalley who now heads it up was recently awarded an MBE in recognition of his work. This I think was a form of soft diplomacy which seems to have been overlooked by Thai authorities?  In recent years the charity have tried to lead the way in sterilisation. Culling of the animals is one approach and a merciful one. However I think it’s unlikely to happen in Thailand. I’m told, but don’t know for sure, that this would run counter to the Buddhist faith? 

In the meantime I would echo your words and ask everyone to contribute a few baht when you can. 

3 hours ago, thai3 said:

It’s not their main focus to solve the problem. Only the Thai government and Thai citizens can do that. The Charity aims to help the animals. Improve animal welfare education and lead by example in sterilisation. I know you are not directly blaming the foundation for the problems, but it would be like saying you won’t donate to Oxfam as they aren’t solving the conflicts which cause famine. They are simply trying to elevate the suffering and raise awareness. Drop a few baht to Soi Dog foundation and help them with their kind work 👍🏻

https://www.soidog.org/content/make-donation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well said mate. Don’t worry about the collection jars mind you. I’ll post my bank details and you can send it straight to me 😂

<snip>

Excellent idea, Mr Dog! Just fill in everything below.

Complete Name (with Photo):

Mother's Maiden Name:

Height:

Weight:

Wife's Name (with Phot):

Wife's Maiden Name:

Wife's Age:

Wife Height:

Wife Weight:

Child(ren) (with photo(s)):

Home Address(es) (including country, city, country and all identifying codes):

Bank(s) Name:

Bank(s) Account Number:

Bank Transfer Number:

Credit card(s) Number(s):

House Mortgage details:

Child(ren)'s Bank Information:

Child(ren)'s Credit card Information:

Dog:

Cat:

Once all the above is filled correctly and entirely, I'll begin making my monthly contribution to the Soi Dog Foundation through you; you won't need to even look at your accounts ever again.

Thanks in advance for all your cash Contributions!

Have a great day!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s not their main focus to solve the problem. Only the Thai government and Thai citizens can do that. The Charity aims to help the animals. Improve animal welfare education and lead by example in sterilisation. I know you are not directly blaming the foundation for the problems, but it would be like saying you won’t donate to Oxfam as they aren’t solving the conflicts which cause famine. They are simply trying to elevate the suffering and raise awareness. Drop a few baht to Soi Dog foundation and help them with their kind work 👍🏻

https://www.soidog.org/content/make-donation

Sticking a plaster on an open wound. Last time I looked at their stats since they started it was averaging out 100+ dogs a day sterilized, while they are doing this I suspect more strays are born than that in my sub district. I am not saying what they do is a total waste of time, it's just nowhere near the answer.