Thai customs and traditions that you would bring home to your country of origin

Andrew Reeve

On 7/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, MrStretch said:

I'd take "shoes off" when you enter a house.  I'd follow the Korean custom of having slippers available for guests.

My wife and I spent a few years UK side before returning to Thailand. Obviously it was a shoes off household. When you look at it, it's pretty weird that the British think nothing of walking $hit from the streets into their homes. I'm a complete convert to Thai style on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

As others have said, bum guns. 

Shoes off entering a house. 

Absolutely both of those

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 9:10 AM, LedLollyYellowLolly said:

My wife and I spent a few years UK side before returning to Thailand. Obviously it was a shoes off household. When you look at it, it's pretty weird that the British think nothing of walking $hit from the streets into their homes. I'm a complete convert to Thai style on that.

Agree with that.  When we came to Australia it was a bit of a shock to the wife that people just walked in.  We placed some new spare slippers and an inside mat near the door entrance - that did the trick. People with tied up shoes were encouraged to just wipe on the mat - but most just slipped them off anyway. They all do now and many say the same thing - what a sensible idea.  But bum guns - they dont want to know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 2:57 AM, Lorraine said:

Top of my list of Thai customs and traditions, that i would bring back to Manchester is:

If you are invited to someone's home, it is considered polite to bring them a small gift of flowers or chocolates

You've been rocking up to people's house with nothing all these years before you went to Thailand??? 

I would think that is a universal custom..............

• Like 1

I never figured out how to use those sprayers without getting water everywhere. If you have the means, and your building codes permit, Japanese-style seats with integrated bidets (heated water, air drying) can be fantastic. Just be careful which button you press.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Marc26 said:

You've been rocking up to people's house with nothing all these years before you went to Thailand??? 

I would think that is a universal custom..............

Not in the barbaric West it's not. 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Not in the barbaric West it's not. 

I don't think I have ever been to any house where guests didn't bring something, in any instance

Might be you and the kind of people you associate with.............

Posted (edited)

ID cards for the UK would cut down illegals mis using the NHS and other benefits. One rare area where Thais out perform. Cost nothing when mrs got a new one, when they tried in the UK the usual I know my rights nonsense and the cost of the voluntary ones was enormous. They would cut down on fraud and people getting what they have not entitlement of.

You can keep bum guns nobody uses them in our house, spraying shitty water about is not nice.

Edited by thai3

18 hours ago, thai3 said:

You can keep bum guns nobody uses them in our house, spraying shitty water about is not nice.

Dried mango pits are often a lovely alternative 

On 7/21/2021 at 5:07 AM, Wanderer said:

Could not imagine a world without one now. 

I think the Japanese have it better with there all in one toilets. Built in bum guns with temperature controlled water. No ice bollocks there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I think the Japanese have it better with there all in one toilets. Built in bum guns with temperature controlled water. No ice bollocks there.

At one of the Adelphi Hotels in Sukhumvit they have expensive Japanese toilets installed which even offer ememas, was not brave enough to sit there and press that option ☺️

13 hours ago, thai3 said:

At one of the Adelphi Hotels in Sukhumvit they have expensive Japanese toilets installed which even offer ememas, was not brave enough to sit there and press that option ☺️

...of the high herbal type?