News Forum - 20 major dams and reservoirs in Thailand present overflow risk

Thaiger

Thailand’s Office of the National Water Resources has requested that irrigation officials be ready to manage the discharge of excess water from 20 major dams and reservoirs. The heavy monsoon rains this year have led to potentially dangerous overflow conditions. Officials from the ONWR have instructed people living downstream to prepare for high levels of water being discharged from the dams, as they try to regulate their capacity in order to avoid overflowing and becoming damaged.  The ONWR listed the following dams as being at risk in these regions: Northern: Mae Mok, Kwae Noi Bumrung Daen and Thap Salao dams Northeast: […]

The story 20 major dams and reservoirs in Thailand present overflow risk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

I still find this hard to believe. Last year in our area we were around 40% down on average rainfall and currently this year it is 30 %.

Thats average, all the rain has come in a short period.

It's China's fault. Everything is. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Poolie said:

No, our ponds are still well down , its simple the fact we have not had the continuous torrential rains normally associated with this time of year here. I wished we had got a lot of rain in a short period, just once would do.

1 minute ago, gummy said:

No, our ponds are still well down , its simple the fact we have not had the continuous torrential rains normally associated with this time of year here. I wished we had got a lot of rain in a short period, just once would do.

Then perhaps these figures are not specific to your area?

10 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Won't argue with that...😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Then perhaps these figures are not specific to your area?

Sorry, a misunderstanding perhaps. Those figure I quoted are for my specific area. It seems we are like a roundabout insofar as all the major storms we see coming and then they go round us.

20 minutes ago, gummy said:

Sorry, a misunderstanding perhaps. Those figure I quoted are for my specific area. It seems we are like a roundabout insofar as all the major storms we see coming and then they go round us.

Ah I see. Raindance?😉

20 minutes ago, gummy said:

Had similar in East about 2 years ago in our area, everything went around us, next year 3 weeks of floods. Nearly packed up to go live in a high rise to dry out.

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

Had similar in East about 2 years ago in our area, everything went around us, next year 3 weeks of floods. Nearly packed up to go live in a high rise to dry out.

If you had read my other posts you will read about my Ark so forward planning is a must 😂

Its been a pretty "dry" rainy season here as well.

When I check Ventusky I see lots of storms but not many around here. Indeed most days when I looked up I could see Vientiane getting hammered and its only 20 miles away but here there would be nothing.  

4 hours ago, gummy said:

We were in the same situation for a long time after a promising start to the wet season. This year have not experienced any consistent rainfall but the sporadic events have been enough to support rice crops until the more recent but late deluges which have resulted in a satisfactory but very delayed expectation to harvest maybe mid or late November. Quite unusual.

8 hours ago, Convert54 said:

We were in the same situation for a long time after a promising start to the wet season. This year have not experienced any consistent rainfall but the sporadic events have been enough to support rice crops until the more recent but late deluges which have resulted in a satisfactory but very delayed expectation to harvest maybe mid or late November. Quite unusual.

Same for us here

Raining, raining, raining here in Loei. Floods in the city, but just dull, damp and dreary up in the hills for the last two months.

The locals say they've never known anything quite like this, this long and this late.

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Raining, raining, raining here in Loei. Floods in the city, but just dull, damp and dreary up in the hills for the last two months.

The locals say they've never known anything quite like this, this long and this late.

The climate is changing globally so guess it is expected that all countries are noticing differences.

Absolutely pissing down here now - and forecast for at least another week.

Awk Phansa next week marks the traditional  end of the rains so the monks can go out, but they're going to get wet this year.

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Absolutely pissing down here now - and forecast for at least another week.

Awk Phansa next week marks the traditional  end of the rains so the monks can go out, but they're going to get wet this year.

The will just have to stay in a bit longer and play cards 🙂 Seriously cloudy and overcast here, nice and cool but no sign of that magic wet stuff.

Just now, gummy said:

The will just have to stay in a bit longer and play cards 🙂 Seriously cloudy and overcast here, nice and cool but no sign of that magic wet stuff.

We are getting all the rain here in Chiang mai , torrential .

Is there river going from Chiang Mai to Issan ?

We could send some water 

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

We are getting all the rain here in Chiang mai , torrential .

Is there river going from Chiang Mai to Issan ?

We could send some water 

Much of Issan has had good rains. It is just our pocket and others elsewhere that appears to have missed out. As the crow flies we are only 12 km from the Mekong so I am waiting for that to overflow to float  my Ark as the rain is not working for us at the moment.