News Forum - Thailand plans huge reopening event with matching price tag

Thaiger

Thailand is planning on throwing a massive extravaganza to celebrate the country’s reopening. The Tourism and Sports Ministry is planning on hosting concerts in Bangkok and Phuket, with a budget of 500-600 million baht. The concerts will feature famed Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli, and Thai K-pop singer Lisa Monaban. Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn says bringing the 2 artists to the country is beyond economic value. “Particularly Lalisa ‘Lisa’ Monaban, the young Thai K-pop singer, who is a huge inspiration for the youth of the country.” He also confirmed that Lalisa Monaban will be singing in Phuket at the […]

The story Thailand plans huge reopening event with matching price tag as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Mass concerts in Bangkok and Phuket in a fortnight ... brilliant idea ... what could possibly go wrong ... after all, the last concerts in Phuket were such a resounding success, and they were only a few thousand ... 😂 😂 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We also need to discuss with the Public Health Ministry the number of audience members allowed and other health and safety protocols for such big events when we are still battling an outbreak.

I guess it will be the 3 camera men to televise it, with masks and physical distancing.

Getting a few thousand people in will be fun too for one event. Then we can all sit at home for Loy Kratong, Christmas and Songkran 👍

• Like 2

As long as schools are closed the country is not opened.   If the government thinks that Covid-19 can be managed then why are the kids confined at home?  It could be that tourism is considered more important than education or that student’ health is more important… in both cases this headline about the country reopening is at best misleading.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, TJM said:

As long as schools are closed the country is not opened.   If the government thinks that Covid-19 can be managed then why are the kids confined at home?  It could be that tourism is considered more important than education or that student’ health is more important… in both cases this headline about the country reopening is at best misleading.

Schools are planned to open on 1 November - the same day.

Not tone deaf, but completely deaf and blind. People are still starving and you're gonna spend 600 mil on a K-Pop star and an Italian opera singer - in a pandemic.

Re-open we must. But, the absolute nonsense of it aside, they have clearly learned nothing from how we ended up in this place.

Edited by Artemis080
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

More BS from a government that just cannot help themselves from lumbering from one mistake to the next.

It really does defy belief, and I'm alleged to constantly try to see the good side, but I'm finding it hard to think of anything that could be more unnecessary, achieve less,  and be more mind-numbingly stupid.

• Like 5

I am certain that Bocelli will be extremely popular to attend many New Year's events in the World for 2022 - especially in Europe - why the hell would he come to Thailand.  Maybe that KPop 'star' Lisa will be at least a little interested - but I would think that for the world's first New Year events since 2019 that the whole band/group not be otherwise 'engaged'.  Hey - I am going to have a 2022 new year's event here in Australia - and I will be inviting Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy and Adam Scott - and also Nelly Korda and Jin Young Ko and Inbee Park.  I might need to start a Go Fund Me page, but why not??   TAT can say anyone - so why not me too?? 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TJM said:

To Stonker:  schools  are not reopening in Udon Thani.

Surprising given that Udon isn't a dark red province and they are elsewhere, including the darkest red.

Any idea why?

(and if you quote me or put '@' in front of my name I get a notification 😇)

42 minutes ago, TJM said:

You say reopening is misleadingly!  
Since April of this year it has been a campaign in misleading , it seems!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, TJM said:

Thai education has never been high on the list, that's why the rich send their kids abroad to get educated, unlike the Thai children who get edumicated in Thailand

• Like 2

I will lay odds that the self absorbed General Fathead and I was born with a silver spoon up me a r se Anutin will be in Phuket sucking up with Lalisa to try to show they are cool.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I will lay odds that the self absorbed General Fathead and I was born with a silver spoon up me a r se Anutin will be in Phuket sucking up with Lalisa to try to show they are cool.

Haha great I'll leave the fermented pickled fish out in the warmth a little bit more then ready to throw..

19 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

LOL the pair of them with Baseball caps on with " i love Thailand " on them HolyCowCm.

What are Country's that Donate vaccines to Thailand going to think when they see headlines like this. There going to think Mmmif you can afford millions in an event why are you asking us to give free vaccines ?.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As usual, the Thaiger articles are edited down from their sources. I read the original in the Bangkok Post and it states more than once that the concerts are for a "New Year's" celebration - so not November 1. I am a schoolteacher in Udon Thani. I don't see ANY way that schools can open on November 1. At the rate they are vaccinating students they won't reach the 85% target until Spring 2022 ! ( as per a Thaiger article a few days ago )

So, as the journalist character says at the end of "The Bridge on the River Kwai", ... 

" Madness. MADNESS ! "

• Like 2

I wonder how many small businesses that have collapsed due to merciless government negligence and incompetence will see the insult of that celebration price tag, especilly after receiving no financial aid!? Incredible that money can now be wasted on this, that should have been made available (and much more), and given in support of businesses forced to close for a year! What an utter disgrace!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vlad said:

What are Country's that Donate vaccines to Thailand going to think when they see headlines like this. There going to think Mmmif you can afford millions in an event why are you asking us to give free vaccines ?.

They're not asking, that's the nature of donations.

But I agree that it's at least disrespectful to then waste big money on unnecessary events and clearly targeting the local population. 

Then again, they've been wasting money all along on Sinovac even when they knew about Delta, unreliable ATK's and dozens more things...

• Thanks 1