News Forum - Phuket’s Khai Islands overwhelmed by rubbish

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, the "piles of rubbish" and "burning fields of garbage" aren't in "some up country place in the middle of nowhere" either.

I'm not pretending it's pristine, but this is an absurd over-exaggeration.

Yes, people burn crop waste and up here they even burn to keep warm in winter, but nobody burns "piles of rubbish" or "fields of garbage" except at the district tip which is about one rai in size, and about 3 kms from any villages.

You pay 4,000 baht a year - we pay 240 baht a year, get the bin emptied three times a week, and the verges on the roads are trimmed back every month or so by a team with strimmers / brush cutters, who also clean out the canals and streams.

I'm not pretending it couldn't be better or that there's no fly-tipping in places, but there aren't any "piles of rubbish dumped at the side of the road" and "plastic rubbish everywhere".

Have you replied to the wrong person as you seem to have thrown a wobbly? I did not say any of the things in your reply except for stating what my service charge was for the house. 

I did not say there are piles of rubbish being burnt in the fields, it was the other bloke who has been going on about it.

But I did say in CM there is an annually burning of crop remains and that is a fact. 

Steady on old chap. 

Just now, TukTuk said:

Maybe you should volunteer and help add to the totals?

Why? 

We don't need volunteers up here!

Every house here pays 240 baht a year to have their bins emptied three times a week, and the road verges trimmed and irrigation canals cleared every month or so.

That aside, as I pointed out, a few bins and a paid part-time garbage cleaner and the place would be as clean every day as it is after the occasional visit by the Trash Heroes.

Which is the better system?

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

True, it is funny how the rubbish seemed to have set itself in a very neat long line allowing photographic affect

It is the tide line. I see it on the beach where I live. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Have you replied to the wrong person as you seem to have thrown a wobbly? I did not say any of the things in your reply except for stating what my service charge was for the house. 

I did not say there are piles of rubbish being burnt in the fields, it was the other bloke who has been going on about it.

But I did say in CM there is an annually burning of crop remains and that is a fact. 

Steady on old chap. 

No, I'm agreeing with you, just adding that these wild exaggerations by others don't happen up here either as you suggested they might which was why I quoted that particular part from your comment.

Sorry if it appeared otherwise 😇.

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

BS

Please don't edit my posts to change their meaning. It's not only childish, but contrary to forum rules.

If there's any substance to what you say, feel free to give a link to any definition of "3rd world", geographical,economic or military, which could exclude Thailand.

19 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, I'm agreeing with you, just adding that these wild exaggerations by others don't happen up here either as you suggested they might which was why I quoted that particular part from your comment.

Sorry if it appeared otherwise 😇.

No problem old chap, the problem with such blog type exchanges is the tone is hard to judge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

I thought you lived near Pattaya, but not by the sound of this.

Garbage fields burning for months??? You must live on the refuse tip, the other side of Huay Yai.

"... the countryside there is mostly no waste management only to burn it in field or garden!"

I just can't imagine what sort of slum you live in, but wherever you live it's far from typical of Thailand's countryside.

Sure, it's not Switzerland or Singapore, and there's no mains sewage / drainage in many villages up-country, but "mostly no waste management only to burn it in field or garden" ???

We pay 20 baht a month, like every other house around here, and the garbage truck comes round every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8am to empty the bins they provide.

Omg you are really stupid like hell and others remember it in the news and it was many hundreds of km from where I live and it was about the garbage management problems in Thailand . I live in my condo in the city in a good area and weekends or in our condo at a seaside with seaview and I have a house and land in the countryside. But I am happy not to be a empty head like you and got a education that teach me not to be an idiot and ignorant and open the eyes and see realities. Thats why I normaly ignore you. That you know nothing about Thailand I could see a lot of times already. Believing, guessing is not the same as knowing and you belong to the one who are guessing but not knowing as you showed me with your comments again. And please no more quote on me I warned you already many times before and that I put you already on the ignore list and will refer it directly to the moderators!

51 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It is the tide line. I see it on the beach where I live. 

This posters think if you refer to garbage problems you have live at garbage collect side but this shows their level and how dumb they are

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Thailand is "3rd World" by any definition - geographical, economic or military.

How could it be otherwise? 😂 

I'm intrigued, first world and third world are phases frequently bandied about - so where is second world ??

17 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Omg you are really stupid like hell and others remember it in the news and it was many hundreds of km from where I live and it was about the garbage management problems in Thailand . I live in my condo in the city in a good area and weekends or in our condo at a seaside with seaview and I have a house and land in the countryside. But I am happy not to be a empty head like you and got a education that teach me not to be an idiot and ignorant and open the eyes and see realities. Thats why I normaly ignore you. That you know nothing about Thailand I could see a lot of times already. Believing, guessing is not the same as knowing and you belong to the one who are guessing but not knowing as you showed me with your comments again. And please no more quote on me I warned you already many times before and that I put you already on the ignore list and will refer it directly to the moderators!

May I respectfully enquire as to whether you take anonymous online forums a bit too seriously ?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I'm intrigued, first world and third world are phases frequently bandied about - so where is second world ??

I was going to refer you to the conspiracists for fun and suggest it's the other side of the flat earth 🤣

But I think traditionally it's supposed to be the former "East-block".

43 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Ok, the U.N. and IMF both classify Thailand as a developing Nation.

I think I will go with their definition over Stonker from Thaiger Talks opinion.

https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/

Sorry to break it to you, but their definition is for a "developing nation".

Show me the UN and IMF's definition of "third world" and you'd be right.

Unfortunately, at least for you, you're not.

15 minutes ago, Benroon said:

May I respectfully enquire as to whether you take anonymous online forums a bit too seriously ?

I think he takes himself a bit too seriously 😂.

17 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I was going to refer you to the conspiracists for fun and suggest it's the other side of the flat earth 🤣

But I think traditionally it's supposed to be the former "East-block".

But you never hear it in conversation do you - just a bit odd. 

However carry on .......

I'm guessing third world status must be poverty related (I don't want to a wake Yinn up here 😄) but given Thailand has more cash in reserve than Germany, the 3rd or is it 4th richest country on the planet, it must be a tough one to determine their status.

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

But you never hear it in conversation do you - just a bit odd. 

However carry on .......

I'm guessing third world status must be poverty related (I don't want to a wake Yinn up here 😄) but given Thailand has more cash in reserve than Germany, the 3rd or is it 4th richest country on the planet, it must be a tough one to determine their status.

It's quite a dated categorisation.

And the reserves are not all free at the disposal of the government shall we say, and leave it at that...

39 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Omg you are really stupid like hell and others remember it in the news and it was many hundreds of km from where I live and it was about the garbage management problems in Thailand .

Sorry, but when you wrote:

"we had big problems in the years and month with less rain when this garbage fields were burning" I was "stupid like hell" and assumed that was what you meant. 

Evidently a mistake, as you were talking about a one-off, which happened "many hundreds of kilometres away", so the polar opposite of what you said on all counts.

48 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I live in my condo in the city in a good area and weekends or in our condo at a seaside with seaview and I have a house and land in the countryside

From your descriptions of your surroundings, here and elsewhere, your view of a "good area" and mine are rather different.

52 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But I am happy not to be a empty head like you and got a education that teach me not to be an idiot and ignorant and open the eyes and see realities

Your view of what your "education" has taught you is also rather different, as it seems to have failed you rather badly.

58 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Thats why I normaly ignore you

Clearly you don't, otherwise you wouldn't have replied.

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

And please no more quote on me I warned you already many times before and that I put you already on the ignore list and will refer it directly to the moderators!

Along with failing to teach you "not to be an idiot and ignorant", your "education" clearly also failed to teach you how to use the "ignore list" 😂

51 minutes ago, Benroon said:

As @Bob20 said, it's a dated cold war era concept but essentially First World was the West, NATO-centric, plus allies such as Aus, NZ, Canada, Japan and South Korea (the "good guys"); Second World was Eastern Europe (Warsaw Pact-centric) plus the West's potential opponents such as China, Vietnam and Cuba (the "commies"); and Third World was the non-aligned countries ("the rest").

2 hours ago, vlad said:

There have been times iv'e walked along the new Pedestrian walkway on Patong beach the bins were overflowing and rubbish strewn all along it plus the locals riding along it on there bikes then sitting watching the beach vendors just throwing there food cartons and poly foods bags behind there lean twos. Not once have i seen them picking up there litter and putting it in the bins, and that's just at Patong Beach. iv'e witnessed young thai's tossing empty beer bottles on the beach too some broke hitting other bottles they tossed away.

Maybe the answer would be to empty the bins rather than wait for the arrival of the Trash Heroes 😯

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DWiener said:

Well indeed. But for a 3rd world nation with such a huge reliance on tourism, you'd still hope they could be a bit less 3rd worldy with their rubbish 🙄

I seem to recall you making a comment to the effect that in comparison to other 3rd World countries they did ... 😇

2 hours ago, DWiener said:

Now you're just being silly - NZ has over 5 million people. We just clean up after ourselves. 

Also I didn't say Thailand was terrible - just sharing my experience/opinion about how much rubbish there is everywhere. 

Try not to get hysterical when you see a post that you don't personally agree with.

"Now you're just being silly -"

Of course I was only being silly, it was not obvious?

Whaaaaa, whaaaatttt, what are you uffing on about, yhaaaaaaa (all high pitched screams!) ......Sorry I was just being hysterical. 

When ever I go and collect rubbish on the beach I always look at the labels of where it came from, when on the Andaman coast its 90% of the time from Indonesia. They have a REAL problem with plastic and dumping in the sea. Too bad the currents bring it right to the Thai coastline.

What I noticed of the Thais is that they will get a bit of takeaway food that is in a plastic bag, that will be put in a bigger plastic bag, with the other food items in plastic bags, and a water bottle of plastic and can't forget that essential plastic straw for 2 minutes of glorious use that just happens to be wrapped in, wait for it plastic wrapping. And guess where it all ends up? 

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

Ok, the U.N. and IMF both classify Thailand as a developing Nation.

I think I will go with their definition over Stonker from Thaiger Talks opinion.

https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/

"Developing Nation" bollocks, travel to most of Africa ( I lived in 2 African countries and trust me they are not developing, perhaps the top 1% of the countries elite but not the mass population) and parts of South East Asia and call that Developing? Call it for what is, a 3rd world country