Turnips, Swedes & Parsnips..

Faraday

Does anyone know where I can buy these vegetables?

I've seen some dismal looking ones in Villa occasionally, but not for a few years.

Has anyone tried growing them, coz up here in Issan - as I'm sure you know, it's cold in November to January, which would be ideal growing conditions.

However, just can't find any seeds ...

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Does anyone know where I can buy these vegetables?

I've seen some dismal looking ones in Villa occasionally, but not for a few years.

Has anyone tried growing them, coz up here in Issan - as I'm sure you know, it's cold in November to January, which would be ideal growing conditions.

However, just can't find any seeds ...

Villa site says they do have turnips now. https://shop.villamarket.com/product/76268

Bangkok Bob's has parnsips .https://www.bangkokbobs.com/product/parsnips

They deliver anywhere but charge probaby will be more than the veggies cost! If you are getting ready for your turkey already then if you order enough stuff they might deliver up there for free?

Good luck

Fester  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faraday said:

cold

? Not sure it's cold enough, though. My own experience is a bit limited because soil denizens have chomped most of my attempts.

I've been able to find unusual seeds in some of the mom-and-pop type hardware and pet supply stores (more so than in similar garden stores) as I'm always looking for tropical species I can grow in the greenhouse. If they do grow in Thailand now would be the time to check.

The reason I want some, is to make Pickle, not just any old pickle though, it's got to be Branstons. The crunchy vegetables in it is  Rutabaga aka Swede.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Faraday said:

The reason I want some, is to make Pickle, not just any old pickle though, it's got to be Branstons. The crunchy vegetables in it is  Rutabaga aka Swede.

Might be able to substitute daikon? I use it in my kimchi for crunch and it stands up to pickling. I think any of the other Thai root vegetables would go mushy and they don't have anything remotely resembling rutabaga.

• Like 1