News Forum - So long, farewell to Thailand’s Certificate of Entry – November 1

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I was countering the notion that it is just sexpests looking to return

There are a lot of people that have been away that are really looking at heading back to Thailand in 2022

I do agree there won't be a huge surge

We are planning for April/May and I fully expect to be able to get very good prices on a villa/house rental because I don't see it being that busy yet

The sexpests thing was a bit tongue in cheek - but what I was getting out was whilst they may be more determined to get back, the vast majority of others would have made other arrangements for the reasons I've already specified.

You'll always get a good deal around April/May - what area are you looking at ?

39 minutes ago, Benroon said:

The sexpests thing was a bit tongue in cheek - but what I was getting out was whilst they may be more determined to get back, the vast majority of others would have made other arrangements for the reasons I've already specified.

You'll always get a good deal around April/May - what area are you looking at ?

I definitely agree with you, for sure

And selfishly, I am looking forward to a bit more quiet stay, that is appealing to me

If I had my way, the quietest island in Thailand( I will definitely not have my way! :)  )

But most likely Kamala Beach in Phuket

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I definitely agree with you, for sure

And selfishly, I am looking forward to a bit more quiet stay, that is appealing to me

If I had my way, the quietest island in Thailand

But most likely Kamala Beach in Phuket

Not selfish at all - you are a long way from being the first person to enjoy the peace and quiet that Covid has inadvertently bought.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, JamesR said:

maybe their plan is to skip the module, system, alpha and beta testing and go straight to beta+ where they let us all use the system and let them know when it fails via error reports.

That’s pretty much what they did when opening Phuket. 

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

I personally don't think the surge will happen, sure you will have a hard core of sexpests biting at the bit, but most other people will already have booked their winter holidays. They simply won't have that much flexibility from their employers. We shall see

I'm interested where the 60% are from, without a demographic explanation its pretty meaningless, ask any mid/major town and I would be surprised if it was 6% let alone 60%, however go out into the country and its probably 96%, but they don't bring the cash in which Thailand needs to move forward. I'm not saying they're wrong, the health of the nation should probably come before the wealth, but that survey and figure from it, is meaningless IMO.

I take your point about advanced bookings, which would normally be the case. However, with so much uncertainty for rules at home and for travel, I think many people won’t have decided what or where to go in December and January. If Thailand got their act together, they could still get a reasonable share of winter travel. 

If there is a rise in cases in Thailand it would have little to do directly with foreigners and more to do with Thais going on holiday and Thais mixing while working in restaurants, bars and hotels. I’ve no doubt Thais will blame foreigners, as they are brainwashed to believe nothing bad originates in Thailand and foreigners are the cause of all their problems. 

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

I take your point about advanced bookings, which would normally be the case. However, with so much uncertainty for rules at home and for travel, I think many people won’t have decided what or where to go in December and January. If Thailand got their act together, they could still get a reasonable share of winter travel. 

If there is a rise in cases in Thailand it would have little to do directly with foreigners and more to do with Thais going on holiday and Thais mixing while working in restaurants, bars and hotels. I’ve no doubt Thais will blame foreigners, as they are brainwashed to believe nothing bad originates in Thailand and foreigners are the cause of all their problems. 

I've never had a job where I could go to my boss and say is it ok if I go on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks please - he would just laugh at me. Has to be planned in advance especially if there are many people you work with. 

However maybe overtaking this, is there is a big call now for the UK to go back into lockdown - the infected/death figures are escalating quickly and the doctors are now calling for a return to lockdown - and where they lead, Bojo follows, eventually !! If that happens then Thailand could well go into reverse on the UK front, and the UK may even ban travel themselves. Its a moving target almost impossible to hit.

Thailand will have to write this year off IMO and plan for 2022 but even then with Covid refusing to go away, that's up in the air.

Infact as I write this, I've just seen there is a Covid press conference in the UK coming this afternoon

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I've never had a job where I could go to my boss and say is it ok if I go on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks please - he would just laugh at me. Has to be planned in advance especially if there are many people you work with. 

However maybe overtaking this, is there is a big call now for the UK to go back into lockdown - the infected/death figures are escalating quickly and the doctors are now calling for a return to lockdown - and where they lead, Bojo follows, eventually !! If that happens then Thailand could well go into reverse on the UK front, and the UK may even ban travel themselves. Its a moving target almost impossible to hit.

Thailand will have to write this year off IMO and plan for 2022 but even then with Covid refusing to go away, that's up in the air.

Infact as I write this, I've just seen there is a Covid press conference in the UK coming this afternoon

Yes that’s right. Case numbers are on the rise and inevitably hospitalisations are deaths are also increasing. The highest number of cases is in the 10-20 year olds, which of course is not surprising as they are largely unvaccinated. The guest deaths however remain in the 75+ age group as all these youngsters visit granny at the weekend who had her second dose back in March. 

An interesting figure I heard the other day about the U.K. and it’s booster program, was that of those eligible for a booster, only 25% have come forward. I understand the gap is nearly 5 million people who could have a booster and yet haven’t had it. 

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

"I've never had a job where I could go to my boss and say is it ok if I go on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks please - he would just laugh at me. Has to be planned in advance especially if there are many people you work with. "

I have, I asked him as I looked in the mirror and I told myself, its OK lad, just this once.