News Forum - Chiang Mai ready to re-open despite new cluster of infections

Thaiger

The governor of Chiang Mai says the province is ready for the planned November 1 re-opening to foreign tourists. Despite a new cluster of infections being detected at the large market of Talad Muang Mai, Prajon Pratsakul insists the northern province is ready to re-open. The Bangkok Post reports that 478 Covid-19 cases have been traced to the market, which has been closed for deep cleaning between October 9 and 22. Customers and other close contacts of the market are in quarantine. Chiang Mai officials are also in a rush to roll out more vaccine doses, in order to meet […]

The story Chiang Mai ready to re-open despite new cluster of infections as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

19 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

However, he adds that access to areas with high infection rates will be off-limits to visitors.

Thatll only work in theory. Or in a fantasy.

• Like 4

here in the exciting world class resort town of Hua Hin the local Market Village mall was very busy yesterday on a Wednesday afternoon. everything normal excepts for 100% masks. i think i even saw a few high net worth tourists picking over the 100 baht basement specials on elephant pants. 

anyway, I find it interesting how these announcements that Thailand is opening up affects peoples decisions on how to behave. 

sort of the reverse of a lockdown and then stocking up unnecessarily.

and yet there is no different between yesterday or today or even tomorrow.

we even had a cluster at a local market but that was two days ago but now the light has turned green. 

• Haha 4

"The percentage of vaccinated Chiang Mai residents is currently 60%, according to Prajon."

again are they counting just 1 jab yesterday as vaccinated?!  And if their figures are actually correct how can they fully vaccinate the remaining 10% in 2 weeks ? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

"The percentage of vaccinated Chiang Mai residents is currently 60%, according to Prajon."

again are they counting just 1 jab yesterday as vaccinated?!  And if their figures are actually correct how can they fully vaccinate the remaining 10% in 2 weeks ? 

Fiddling the figures again... 

They want to open the whole province now (not just the announced 4 smaller areas).

Chiang Mai (city) vaccination locations have been mostly closed for ages and only received 29.000 doses a few weeks ago. You can randomly ask people and they haven't been vaccinated and can't get a jab.

BTW Even Bangkok doesn't get to 60% of the total population and that's where the effort was concentrated!

There's nothing we can do individually, but I feel sad for the ones that will be paying with their health for the financial benefit of a few and all because of avoidable mismanagement by the government.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

That is more than likely impossible and we can presume false lip service. My son even tells me the majority at CMU are anti the CCP vaccine and that number from what he said is 68%. Same as what Bob20 said, these vaccinations centers have been pretty quiet here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

That is more than likely impossible and we can presume false lip service. My son even tells me the majority at CMU are anti the CCP vaccine and that number from what he said is 68%. Same as what Bob20 said, these vaccinations centers have been pretty quiet here.

Well you've seen how they manipulated the numbers here in phuket before opening.! .oh and after!  sadly its not going to change their lying ways anywhere else.. its just the BS they say to the people to make them feel safe and exited that millions will come!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Well you've seen how they manipulated the numbers here in phuket before opening.! .oh and after!  sadly its not going to change their lying ways anywhere else.. its just the BS they say to the people to make them feel safe and exited that millions will come!! 

You got that right and you can surely say that again.

19 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

You got that right and you can surely say that again.

How about getting some high-vis jackets and superglue like they do in the UK and just block the visitors from coming 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob20 said:

How about getting some high-vis jackets and superglue like they do in the UK and just block the visitors from coming 🤣

They can't scam them easily that way 😉

BTW, a report from KPMG Europe today slams governments that reacted to the pandemic by looking at hospital occupation.

Countries that reacted quicker with measures like lockdowns when infection numbers went up were more successful at containing the problem and there were no additional adverse effects to those economies.

Responding later just added more infections and deaths with no other advantages.

I will provide a link, but have not been able to find an English language one yet.

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Let's open 'er up!

Open up and get good therapeutics is the key. We should've learned from the AIDS crisis. When we have treatments this disease will no longer be able to hold us hostage. We can live with it.

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Need a work permit for that.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Fiddling the figures again... 

They want to open the whole province now (not just the announced 4 smaller areas).

Chiang Mai (city) vaccination locations have been mostly closed for ages and only received 29.000 doses a few weeks ago. You can randomly ask people and they haven't been vaccinated and can't get a jab.

BTW Even Bangkok doesn't get to 60% of the total population and that's where the effort was concentrated!

There's nothing we can do individually, but I feel sad for the ones that will be paying with their health for the financial benefit of a few and all because of avoidable mismanagement by the government.

I have it on excellent authority from one long-standing member here that they don't know of anyone in Chiang Mai who's had Covid. ... not just don't know anyone but don't even know of anyone.

Surely they can't have got it wrong .....

15 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

access to areas with high infection rates will be off-limits to visitors.

So Im guess Loy Kroh rd is closed?  sorry granny  :) mai dai--cannot

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Thatll only work in theory. Or in a fantasy.

4 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I see some countries do ring-fence infected area. It's like a quarantine within a small village. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I see some countries do ring-fence infected area. It's like a quarantine within a small village. 

Time to invest in the fence industry. (have they built the fence+1 million surveillance cameras around the land boarder yet?)

• Haha 1

If they can open up Phuket and that causes daily cases to massively increase as Thais down south move back there for work, what could possible go wrong in Chiang Mai and Pattaya and Hua Hin and Samui.  What could possibly go wrong?   Move along you Expats - stop whinging and go home - nothing to see here.  Dont listen to those dirty Expats my Thai people - be nice and smile and all will be well as we move forward together to a new era of prosperity and wealth for all.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Loy Kroh, Night Bazaar and many good restaurants are closed so there's not much for a tourist to do other than visit temples, temples and even more temples ...   But hey, it's lovely and green here with clear blue skies when not raining and there's always the big shopping malls to browse though many shops are boarded up or empty floor space. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Loy Kroh road is still open.....................its just that nearly all the businesses down that road have closed .

Quite a few bars have closed for good , wont be opening again . 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Loy Kroh road is still open.....................its just that nearly all the businesses down that road have closed .

Quite a few bars have closed for good , wont be opening again . 

Like a ghost town but quick to drive thru nowadays, especially late afternoon. 😉

One has to wonder what will become of all the small guesthouses that proliferate the small sois especially in the old town.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Like a ghost town but quick to drive thru nowadays, especially late afternoon. 😉

One has to wonder what will become of all the small guesthouses that proliferate the small sois especially in the old town.

Whorehouses, I have no doubts about that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

There have been quite a few new hotels built recently in the area and some of the hotels/GH's have been completely refurbished , they will probably do OK once tourists come back . 

There are some older hotels/GH's that need a complete refurbishment that have been sitting idle for 18 months and I suppose that they will only attract customers when rooms become scare , when there's more tourists than hotel rooms , like it was ten years ago .

• Like 1