News Forum - Prominent virologists targeted with death threats from anti-vax conspiracy theorists

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You may have to wait for stocks to be available, but claiming that "you do not have a choice of AZ if under 60 and stocks are limited"

is completely and totally untrue.

Stonker, this is not the thread for an argument over semantics.  I was posting in relation to NT and NZ's Pfizer mandates and availability as of now.  Not what other Aussie states may or may not have in stock.  NT are using Pfizer and will fine citizens $5k unless jabbed by Nov 13, so there is very little chance of anyone under 60 having a choice of AZ.

What I have stated comes from personal friends and family in situ, not from Gov't. guides to Covid.  End of story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I'm not averse to VACCINES per se, just these mRNA experiments and mandated injection of, in NZ's case, the Pfizer product which is far from proven as an effective guard against infection and given jabs required at 6 monthly intervals no-one yet knows what detrimental effects may occur long term.

You are right. We don't know what the long term effects will be, but about 12 mill a month have been infected world wide, of which one in three will develop long covid. In addition, 250k a month are dying because of this. Presume that there are those who need to wait five years to be convinced that it is the "right thing to do", at current rates, that's over 700 mill new infections and 15 mill dead and a total of 300 mill long-covid events in that time period. 

Regarding the efficacy of the various vaxxes, there is statistical data to show that cases declined quite rapidly once vaxxing began, but Delta became a game-changer. Now many countries are reporting 95% of all new infections are type D. I do wonder what might have happened had we got the vax out a couple of months earlier. I also wonder what the next mutation might be like. It could well be more benign, or more vicious, but can we really afford to wait five years to find out? The current data shows that the vaxxed are less likely to become infected, and if they are infected, have better outcomes. 

During the meantime while the hesitants, decide whether vaxxing is a risk worth taking, we wait to see whether a "type E" variant arrives that may or may not be more impervious to current vaxxes arrives on the scene,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

That's simply completely untrue.

Anyone in Aus, including in the NT, is fully entitled to have an AZ vaccination rather than Pfizer or Moderna if they choose to.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/who-can-get-vaccinated#access-to-vaxzevria-astrazeneca

I have relatives and work colleagues in Oz who have had the AZ vaccine

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Under 60's in NT, by choice over Pfizer?  S'ok, you don't have to answer that. 😉

53 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Under 60's in NT, by choice over Pfizer?  S'ok, you don't have to answer that. 😉

no idea what you are referring to!  AZ was the only option in OZ to startso there was no choice at first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

I have cousins who have also - by choice and in their 40's  - as  well as in-laws, in their 30's.

(Edit: and the cousins happened to be in the NT, although they live in Sydney.)

The Aus Gov policy couldn't be clearer on this, and I've both linked to it and quoted, unedited, directly from it.

If someone  wants to deny that it's obviously up to them but it hardly adds to their credibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Stonker, this is not the thread for an argument over semantics.  I was posting in relation to NT and NZ's Pfizer mandates and availability as of now.  Not what other Aussie states may or may not have in stock.  NT are using Pfizer and will fine citizens $5k unless jabbed by Nov 13, so there is very little chance of anyone under 60 having a choice of AZ.

What I have stated comes from personal friends and family in situ, not from Gov't. guides to Covid.  End of story.

I'm not arguing over "semantics", nor from "Gov't guides to Covid" but from clear Government policy (not a "guide") and from close family, on the ground, with direct and current knowledge.

Edit: I should also add that the 12 Nov cut off date is for the first jab only, with the second jab by 24 December, leaving plenty of time for those who've chosen the AZ jabs they're fully and legally entitled to to have them as booked.

If you want to believe something else, or paint government policy as something else that's entirely up to you.

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

In NZ Pfizer has been the vax in use although others are on order and one is yet to be approved by Medsafe.

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/COVID-19/status-of-applications.asp

Just to clarify that, as the link confirms, J&J and AZ have also been approved (stocks had already been ordered, pending approval) and approval for Novavax has been applied for but not yet granted.

13 hours ago, Thommo said:

no idea what you are referring to!  AZ was the only option in OZ to startso there was no choice at first

In the earlier vaccination programs for Australia, 50s and above will only be entitled to AZ. Pfizer was later introduced to age 50-60. I had a choice then and chose Pfizer instead.