News Forum - Minister of Tourism is sure tourists will flood Thailand November 1

Thaiger

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

May well be to buy time SD that would actually make sense both from a medical and saving face view.

But even for this goon I would be shocked if any form of quarantine remained - I've just read the full English version of his statement and he mentions 'no quarantine' many many times - its his big thing now. Its where he is trying to hang his credibility hat and curry favour with his business friends who are hurting. I can't see even him doing a U-turn from that. 

There may well be another crock of shit coming down the line but I think barring a sudden surge in cases, quarantine will go.

Well I agree with why he’s doing this. But it depends what you call quarantine. If I can’t fly in to BKK and catch a connecting flight to CM or a taxi to Pattaya, then CM and Pattaya are not open to me. If I then have to wait in an SHA+ hotel room for 24 hours awaiting my arrival PCR test then I’m quarantined.

The Thais are absolutely world leading experts on spin. They’ve done it for centuries with invading armies and continue to do it in the modern world. Everyone is their friend and their enemy. They have developed a culture similar to internet trolls. They can state the most ridiculous things and protect themselves by laws, an unquestioning society and “Thainess”. Essentially they are anonymous in terms of future accountability. Anyone who won’t accept a sarcastic smile as an answer to a tough question and pushes too hard will be deported if foreign or in court for defamation if a citizen. It is a culture developed by a paternalistic society that simply maintains it and widens the wealth gap. To Westerners it’s beyond comprehension and why the country is being held back. But the ruling Thais won’t nothing different. They have all they need and happy. It’s actually a very clever way of doing things. Far better than oppression by force. Although of course that’s held in reserve for when the people get a little restless!!  Such a beautiful country with some of the nicest people in the world, governed by some of the worst people in the world.  

• Like 1