News Forum - Minister of Tourism is sure tourists will flood Thailand November 1

Thaiger

im glad to here they are dropping  requirements.only one thats stopping lots of older guys and famlies  is the insurance!!please drop this and ill apply today! eager to return,but not paying  $3 to $4 ,000 usd for two types of insurance.if your over 70 to 74 that cost is thru the roof!please drop it.

• Like 4

I can't speak for European or Chinese tourists, but my American friends who were frequent visitors to Thailand prior to the epidemic have no plans to return until the Thai population is vaccinated and there are no quarantine or travel restriction. And while many American have been vaccinated there is also a significant number that never will. I believe the Thailand Authority is once again overly optimistic.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Timo said:

1 person spending 1,000,000 bhat (not even high class) will spend it in one place, and make a rich thai richer, 

Thailand is designed by law to only help the rich so the country's focus on how to raise money from tourism shouldn't be a surprise.  The limitations it puts on foreign investment make sure that outside investment only benefits those that already have - a lot - of money.  

• Like 2

We are nearly 2 weeks away from November 1st. Yet, the COE instructions still state the following. Until that is updated, beginning of November is unlikely to open the flood gates.

Once approved

• After application has been pre-approved, the applicant should buy air ticket and book an Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or book a SHA+ accommodation if the applicant apply for Sandbox Programme.
    • Please upload proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation or pre-paid SHA+ accommodation booking into the system within 15 days after application has been pre-approved.
3d

Confirm application for Certificate of Entry (COE)

• Please provide flight details and upload plane ticket(s), proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation on arrival date OR receipt or proof of payment for SHA Plus accommodation, specifying both accommodation fees and RT-PCR COVID-19 test fees, and relevant required documents on “Confirm trip” menu in the next pag

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The numbers are going to be anemic for most of November, just as we saw the first month of the Phuket sandbox. Besides the fact the alcohol will still be banned, and bars and entertainment businesses still closed (meaning most people will wait till December). The real reason is you can't yet plan to visit as the details are still not known. Two weeks to go and they expect tourists to turn on a dime and fly off to Thailand. The projections for 2022, and particularly 2023 are probably a bit high. Until traveling is as easy as it was in 2019, the numbers might never get back to the way they were before. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

The numbers are going to be anemic for most of November, just as we saw the first month of the Phuket sandbox. Besides the fact the alcohol will still be banned, and bars and entertainment businesses still closed (meaning most people will wait till December). The real reason is you can't yet plan to visit as the details are still not known. Two weeks to go and they expect tourists to turn on a dime and fly off to Thailand. The projections for 2022, and particularly 2023 are probably a bit high. Until traveling is as easy as it was in 2019, the numbers might never get back to the way they were before. 

Even if Thailand had no requirements, I don't think you would see a mass exodus to Thailand

Some people still don't want to travel

I used to travel every 2 months to US, and I have been putting it off to only when I really need to now.....

• Like 2

Tbh, the only flood Thailand is seeing now is in the central provinces. The flood of tourists won't be coming until that flood is gone and the flood of restrictions will be gone. 

• Like 1

I personally think Thailand will be lucky to reach 2019 pre-covid levels of tourists before 2029.  Any potential visitors with intelligence should check the internet for current photos of how totally dead the country is, not drool over the 2018 photos that the current Thai media keeps posting.  Many places are like ghost towns, less than 10% of shops, restaurants, etc. open and such erosion along the Andaman coast beaches (where I live) it is heart-breaking.  The only people who should seriously consider coming are those wanting to visit their family and friends, but they won't be encouraged as they will want to stay with family and friends, not spend money in expensive hotels.  They will spend on visiting interesting sights and eating out - if they can find anything open! but not really help line the pockets of the hi-so brigade, and also many will want better access to alcohol than is currently available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless the draconian restrictions are dispensed with, then published   as such, in the Royal Gazette, its  Mickey Mouse wishful thinking.

Even if they do this, they will not see the numbers that they would like, because there will not be the uplift from airlines.

It takes about 3 months to plan,  coordinate and put in place air traffic procedures for the various routes.

Then the airlines, will need to bring aircraft back to an airworthy state and make sure that their aircrew are current. This all takes time and money.

Airlines will not invest on a whim or a wish of anyone,  including a Thai government official.

They will invest on cast iron guaranteed commitments.

So, until meaningful firm proposals are gazetted, no big change.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

One of the 10 countries mentioned was Germany, but the whole EU still has Thailand on the red-list...

Besides, nothing about opening is sure yet. Only once it's officially announced, people will start the process of paperwork and then they're not here yet.

And whilst the UK removed Thailand from it's red-list, they are looking at introducing new restrictions.

I can already envisage the complaints from tourists having to cut their holiday short or incurring additional unexpected expenses.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the numbers if it goes ahead. Then it'll likely turn out like Phuket. Far from target and lots of mayhem for little benefit.

Hello Bob

If you don’t mind me asking Bob, what new restrictions is the U.K. looking at imposing. 

thanks. 

• Haha 1

The optimism is a smoke screen.     The reality is unfortunate.             The virus is rampant.                       The vaccination process & quality vaccines needed are lacking.          The thai people deserve a lot more

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BBY said:

Hello Bob

If you don’t mind me asking Bob, what new restrictions is the U.K. looking at imposing. 

thanks. 

Not yet imposing, but members of parliament are asking for new restrictions as the royal college of physicians is reporting the NHS is getting overstretched. Case numbers have gone up a lot and they're also expecting a huge number of flu-cases as last year there was nearly nothing due to lockdown (not much transmission) and this year resistance will be especially low. So we'll have to wait what they do...

• Like 2

A typical politician,not a clue what's going on in the real world.

There seems to be some kind of inward looking siege mentality prevalent in thailand at present.

Plenty of people up to the highest level seem to think droves of people are quing up desperately waiting to get in to thailand.

I am genuinely mystified why this school of thought still prevails.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Don't need a flood of low quality tourists that only line the pockets of sleazy dive-bars, past-their-prime bargirls and zero-star guesthouses.

A lower number of high quality tourists that visit attractions, go to fancy restaurants and buy full-price retail is what's needed. 

Thats why keeping bars closed for the high season would be the BEST thing for Thailand.

For every time a sleazy barfly arrives here and stays at 'Ye ol' Shithole Inn', they discourage high quality tourists from ever coming that would have spent 10x as much at the Grand Royal Plaza Hotel. 

And what Cloud have you just fell from Rip high ens Hotels for 2 week tourists lol.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, atiger said:

Not if it requires dealing with a Thai Embassy or Consulate to get a COE

The COE is a perfect example. I just visited the website for the LA and NYC embassies, they don't have one yet for the new program (fully expected but the point remains). They still only offer the ASQ and the Phuket/Samui COEs. Never mind the time to apply and process, but how do they expect me to show up Nov. 1 if I can't even begin planning a trip with two weeks to go? Never mind most people traveling in November already have reservations to somewhere else. It's the same issue they had when opening Phuket and why the numbers for the first month sucked. I'm going to visit, but I can't plan what I don't know. That's why I'm looking at the end of December instead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It goes something like this at the TAT head office. Khun Somchai to Khun Topdog any news over the weekend  Topdog,  Khun Topdog says no, so Khun Somchai says, make up a story about the figures, the idiot Thicko Westerners will believe anything we say. Topdog says ok we will tell them we know, there's going to be over 500k tourists turn up when we open up, how does that sound laughing.  Khun Somchai says Nooooo make it a round easy number make it a Million, and bring me some Noodles.

• Haha 2

The problem is that if he's right and there's a flood then Thailand's screwed.

There's limited PCR testing, so all of it will be tied up just handling testing the tourists so there'll be no test 'n' trace available for anywhere else.

A flood of tourists will also expect and get a flood of open bars and nightlife, manned by a flood of unvaccinated 'entertainment providers'.

If,on the other hand, there's a trickle then Thailand's also screwed as a lot of people will have wasted a lot of money for nothing, bars will have been re-opened, and travel restrictions lifted and the Phase 3 travel together 40% subsidy re-started, beginning the next "wave" of Covid.

Oops 😢

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The problem is that if he's right and there's a flood then Thailand's screwed.

There's limited PCR testing, so all of it will be tied up just handling testing the tourists so there'll be no test 'n' trace available for anywhere else.

A flood of tourists will also expect and get a flood of open bars and nightlife, manned by a flood of unvaccinated 'entertainment providers'.

If,on the other hand, there's a trickle then Thailand's also screwed as a lot of people will have wasted a lot of money for nothing, bars will have been re-opened, and travel restrictions lifted and the Phase 3 travel together 40% subsidy e-started, beginning the next "wave" of Covid.

Oops 😢

You are right, once the entertainment and nightlife venues open, between Dec 15 through Jan 1st, there will be a major outbreak of COVID-19 cases  which will be back to square one & Thailand will be close forever again.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ace035 said:

You are right, once the entertainment and nightlife venues open, between Dec 15 through Jan 1st, there will be a major outbreak of COVID-19 cases  which will be back to square one & Thailand will be close forever again.

... and none of it will be the government's fault .....

Up here it's packed with domestic tourists every New Year for a fortnight - every room, homestay, and resort is fully booked out.

So far nobody's been vaccinated except government staff and their families, and the occasional farang (me) and all the tourist sites are closed.

Wait and see in a couple of months .....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sharky99x said:

As a UK Tourist I am longing to visit Thailand again.  I have 30 days holiday remaining from days accrued this year and carried over from last year.  I am watching for news every day to see if I can book a 3 week holiday around the Xmas period but wont until it is safe and smart to do so.

Unless they drop the COE and expensive PCR test requirements and establishments can reopen again then I certainly wont be booking anything.

Phuket has been a dead town during the sandbox with most establishments forced to remain closed and the prohibition of alcohol.

It is good to hear further news but until they fix the above I highly doubt they will get a huge influx of tourists.

Airlines also need time to reinstate flights and increase frequency.  Last time I checked there was only one or two flights per week to bangkok or phuket.

Will keep my fingers cross that the COE and PCR requirements are dropped in time to make a booking !

Agreed, while the COE remains in place they can forget it - however on the flights front check again - from the UK alone there are roughly a dozen+ flights a day let alone a week. You might not get the airline you want, but they're there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Don't need a flood of low quality tourists that only line the pockets of sleazy dive-bars, past-their-prime bargirls and zero-star guesthouses.

A lower number of high quality tourists that visit attractions, go to fancy restaurants and buy full-price retail is what's needed. 

Thats why keeping bars closed for the high season would be the BEST thing for Thailand.

For every time a sleazy barfly arrives here and stays at 'Ye ol' Shithole Inn', they discourage high quality tourists from ever coming that would have spent 10x as much at the Grand Royal Plaza Hotel. 

You say this quite a lot - once is enough mate.

We get it, a bar girl turned you over and now you're bitter but it happens to the best of us 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, S2k said:

We are nearly 2 weeks away from November 1st. Yet, the COE instructions still state the following. Until that is updated, beginning of November is unlikely to open the flood gates.

Once approved

• After application has been pre-approved, the applicant should buy air ticket and book an Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or book a SHA+ accommodation if the applicant apply for Sandbox Programme.
    • Please upload proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation or pre-paid SHA+ accommodation booking into the system within 15 days after application has been pre-approved.
3d

Confirm application for Certificate of Entry (COE)

• Please provide flight details and upload plane ticket(s), proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation on arrival date OR receipt or proof of payment for SHA Plus accommodation, specifying both accommodation fees and RT-PCR COVID-19 test fees, and relevant required documents on “Confirm trip” menu in the next pag

Exactly - an utterly chaotic mess. Every announcement they have made to date is meaningless unless they update this. And if they keep the current test requirements on arrival it will be utter bedlam at the airport if they are expecting 5,000 people a day ! (catching it whilst they all mingle together)

No-one in their right mind is going to make a booking in October for arrival after November 1st ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Exactly - an utterly chaotic mess. Every announcement they have made to date is meaningless unless they update this. And if they keep the current test requirements on arrival it will be utter bedlam at the airport if they are expecting 5,000 people a day ! (catching it whilst they all mingle together)

No-one in their right mind is going to make a booking in October for arrival after November 1st ! 

That's a bit hysterical, IMO

I have flown into Vancouver a few times now with testing required on arrival

5k people throughout the day is not a huge # to go through........