News Forum - Minister of Tourism is sure tourists will flood Thailand November 1

Thaiger

Though often criticised for its overly-optimistic tourism predictions seemingly pulled out of thin air, this time the Thai government is sure people will be flooding back in as the borders reopen on November 1. Minister of Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan said that Thailand needs to brace itself for an onslaught of international travellers flooding into the country come November 1. The Minister said that Thailand has traditionally been a popular winter destination with travellers from colder Western and Northern countries flocking to the sunny beaches of Thailand to enjoy a warm winter. Though Covid-19 has nearly decimated Thailand’s tourism […]

The story Minister of Tourism is sure tourists will flood Thailand November 1 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It seems Thai politicians dont have a clue about reality, they live in a different world.

Even the Phuket sandbox was a failure, very few paople came, and the majority of them were not tourists but returning Thais and long term expats who just used this opportunity as an alternative to the quarantine in Bangkok.

Edited by Somchai
correction
  • Like 11

Thailand needs to brace itself for an onslaught of international travellers flooding into the country come November 1.

WOW ---TOTALLY LOST FOR WORDS--should we evacuate or just hang on tight.

Who writes this garbage, optimism and positive thought is fine but this........

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Well I needed a laugh and christ did I get it, how can they even think this when they still have not sent out the official entry requirements, do they not understand that nobody will book anything until then, they also have to allow another week after announcement for the various embassies around the world to get their act together. 555

TIT.

• Like 8

Just a thought, but with an estimated 5k a day for the rest of this year predicted for the whole of TH, do you think we will see "high season" prices return? (rhetorical) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of the 10 countries mentioned was Germany, but the whole EU still has Thailand on the red-list...

Besides, nothing about opening is sure yet. Only once it's officially announced, people will start the process of paperwork and then they're not here yet.

And whilst the UK removed Thailand from it's red-list, they are looking at introducing new restrictions.

I can already envisage the complaints from tourists having to cut their holiday short or incurring additional unexpected expenses.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the numbers if it goes ahead. Then it'll likely turn out like Phuket. Far from target and lots of mayhem for little benefit.

• Like 4

As a UK Tourist I am longing to visit Thailand again.  I have 30 days holiday remaining from days accrued this year and carried over from last year.  I am watching for news every day to see if I can book a 3 week holiday around the Xmas period but wont until it is safe and smart to do so.

Unless they drop the COE and expensive PCR test requirements and establishments can reopen again then I certainly wont be booking anything.

Phuket has been a dead town during the sandbox with most establishments forced to remain closed and the prohibition of alcohol.

It is good to hear further news but until they fix the above I highly doubt they will get a huge influx of tourists.

Airlines also need time to reinstate flights and increase frequency.  Last time I checked there was only one or two flights per week to bangkok or phuket.

Will keep my fingers cross that the COE and PCR requirements are dropped in time to make a booking !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Just a thought, but with an estimated 5k a day for the rest of this year predicted for the whole of TH, do you think we will see "high season" prices return? (rhetorical) 

Funny you say, that here in patong only the big SHA hotels that have restaurants and the tourists are staying in have their pre covid menus!  Same prices.. the expats and returning expats know where to go to get covid prices now

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 3

WAIT & SEA, no one knows the back details of the announcement, CCSA might cancel the matter since they have the right of life and death of millions Thais depending of the tourist sector and affiliated side supplying companies

• Like 1

Don't need a flood of low quality tourists that only line the pockets of sleazy dive-bars, past-their-prime bargirls and zero-star guesthouses.

A lower number of high quality tourists that visit attractions, go to fancy restaurants and buy full-price retail is what's needed. 

Thats why keeping bars closed for the high season would be the BEST thing for Thailand.

For every time a sleazy barfly arrives here and stays at 'Ye ol' Shithole Inn', they discourage high quality tourists from ever coming that would have spent 10x as much at the Grand Royal Plaza Hotel. 

Edited by Rip255
Spelling
  • Haha 2

Yet again there is unreasonable exuberance. Thailand is known as the laggard in SEA so other similar destinations with far better vaccination rates will take preference, like Malaysia which is 90% double vaxxed. No doubt we will see excited government talk of outstanding forward bookings but these will not take into account that UK & EU tourists are trip stacking so many bookings will not be honoured. There is a very small light at the end of the tunnel!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rip255 said:

Don't need a flood of low quality tourists that only line the pockets of sleazy dive-bars, past-their-prime bargirls and zero-star guesthouses.

A lower number of high quality tourists that visit attractions, go to fancy restaurants and buy full-price retail is what's needed. 

Thats why keeping bars closed for the high season would be the BEST thing for Thailand.

For every time a sleazy barfly arrives here and stays at 'Ye ol' Shithole Inn', they discourage high quality tourists from ever coming that would have spent 10x as much at the Grand Royal Plaza Hotel. 

Not necessarily saying that you are wrong......but your post sounds awfully arrogant and pretentious.

Pattaya (and most of Thailand) has never been a Monte Carlo.............and, as I recall, it is never easy to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Quality expats, such as yourself, being the exception.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Think the Grand Royal Plaza Hotel is closed because of Covid so maybe "Ye ol' shit Inn" will get a customer or two, you're welcome to sleep on the streets though wouldn't want you to lower your standards.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

You sound like a spoilt little boy whos mummy and daddy gave him everything he wanted.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

One of the 10 countries mentioned was Germany, but the whole EU still has Thailand on the red-list...

Besides, nothing about opening is sure yet. Only once it's officially announced, people will start the process of paperwork and then they're not here yet.

And whilst the UK removed Thailand from it's red-list, they are looking at introducing new restrictions.

I can already envisage the complaints from tourists having to cut their holiday short or incurring additional unexpected expenses.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the numbers if it goes ahead. Then it'll likely turn out like Phuket. Far from target and lots of mayhem for little benefit.

Wow bob20 managed a post without saying everyone should be vaccinated, must be a first lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Timo said:

Wow bob20 managed a post without saying everyone should be vaccinated, must be a first lol. 

I never said everyone should be vaccinated 🤔

I say that everyone who wants to get vaccinated should get the chance to do it before exposing them to excess risk.

But if you warn me before the 30 minutes correction time is up, I can add it for you next time 😉

• Haha 2

1 person spending 1,000,000 bhat (not even high class) will spend it in one place, and make a rich thai richer, 100 people spending 10,000 each will give it to low so's and make the quality of thier lives better. Coming from the UK as a capitalist i never realised how important social policies were. I've lived here long enough to see this country needs the social policies that Thaksin and Yingluk had to make the farmers not so poor. They skimmed, as do the current leaders, at least they helped the poor farmers. I'm rambling, but my point is i dont think getting super rich tourists to give thier money to super rich resort owners is very good for thailand

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4