News Forum - Anutin warns Nov 1 reopening could close again if Covid-19 surges

Thaiger

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul may have dampened the excitement over Thailand’s November 1 reopening when he announced that it is possible that the country could close up its borders in the event of a serious Covid-19 outbreak. The announcement on Monday by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha that he had told the Ministry of Public Health and Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to push reopening the country on November 1 has been met with excitement from tourist international travellers as well as the tourism sector of Thailand. The plan is to initially open to 10 countries that have a low […]

The story Anutin warns Nov 1 reopening could close again if Covid-19 surges as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a bunch of pathetic buffoons !!! With such morons behind the wheel Thailand will  NEVER reopen.

In any case Nov 1st is way too late for the  2021/2022 high season.

Edited by Nipral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this the same group that said the Phuket Sandbox would be shut if there were over a certain number of positive cases per week? Classic move from "How to Influence People and Maintain Relevancy in a Pandemic."

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

I’ve heard that before, right before they opened Phuket. Never happen, probably won’t this time either. 

UK politicians are asking for new restrictions even with their high levels of vaccination and effective vaccines as things are turning sour already.

It can't work here with the situation we have. And using common sense they shouldn't open up until they at least caught up with the delayed start in vaccination and arrive at a higher percentage (and not counting single or double Sinovac)

• Like 8

The idiot blame the bars for the numberd the are closed for months already but still weird to see that many bars open in bangkok i see people from pattaya gp to bangkok for a night out even tik tok and facebook are full of videos that bars open in bangkok so at the end they inport the virus from bangkok again

• Like 2

So the little dictator has put his jackboots on and stomped all over the sweet words of his increasingly powerless superior! It is interesting to note that Anutin says that bars were responsible for huge outbreaks. Has he forgotten that the the biggest bar\club driven outbreak occurred in Thonglor in places frequented by government employees, diplomats and bid business owners. Has he forgotten the military operated boxing stadium outbreak, the mega out reaks in prisons operated by the government, the police training camp outbreak because they employed infected unvaccinated cooks. None of these were due to misbehaving ordinary people but all of them caused widespread infections amongst the public. It is to be hoped that his rantings do not cause what is a very tentative reopening to be another failure like Phuket & Samui have been. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Public Health Minister warns that the fate of the program depends on the Thai people and how well they follow rules to prevent the spread of Covid-19. 

Pretty simple - just a major ass-covering exercise for when it all goes wrong: "the fate of the program depends on the Thai people and how well they follow rules to prevent the spread of Covid-19."

It'll all be the fault of "the Thai people", nothing to do with the government's abject failure to vaccinate adequately before encouraging people to travel with subsidies and opening bars and nightlife too early.

• Like 5

LOS = Land of Stupidity ... as far as Government is concerned anyway.  I see both Prayut's TV broadcast and Anutins announcement as political posturing and propaganda.  Both up for the top job with each pandering to a different audience.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

LOS = Land of Stupidity ... as far as Government is concerned anyway.  I see both Prayut's TV broadcast and Anutins announcement as political posturing and propaganda.  Both up for the top job with each pandering to a different audience.

It seems to me the only audience they're playing to is a pantomime audience.
Oh yes it is.
Oh no it's not.
Open
Close
Open
Close
I can't wait for the custard pies to start being thrown around. Both of them have ended up with egg on their faces in the past, why stop now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The only "if" is the when the outbreak hits the fan. I wonder how many Thai kids that were named Prayut or Anutin have already changed their names out of shy and shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The plan is to initially open to 10 countries that have a low Covid-19 risk, allowing people from those countries who are fully vaccinated to enter Thailand"

Here, let me correct that. "The plan is to initially open to 10 countries that will spend the most cash, who won't mind coming to the covid capital of Asia because their countries are leading the world in active covid cases anyway".

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I should just cut and paste my comment on another article today on the Thaiger, I commented about. The sensible way forward is to open the holiday hotspots after channelling vaccines to the Thais in these provinces to the point of 80% double dose (no cheating...it will only blow up in your face if you do). This will start to revive these sectors. Then, further vaccination of essential industries. I'm sure Thailand will have a penchant for MANDATING vaccines (but not so good when you don't have the vaccines available). Telling people to "Get vaccinated!" when there aren't vaccines available, is a sure way to make sure that when vaccinated are available, they won't take them!!  This really needs to be a controlled, gradual, planned, deliberate reopening, if it is to work.   

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I should just cut and paste my comment on another article today on the Thaiger, I commented about. The sensible way forward is to open the holiday hotspots after channelling vaccines to the Thais in these provinces to the point of 80% double dose (no cheating...it will only blow up in your face if you do). This will start to revive these sectors. Then, further vaccination of essential industries. I'm sure Thailand will have a penchant for MANDATING vaccines (but not so good when you don't have the vaccines available). Telling people to "Get vaccinated!" when there aren't vaccines available, is a sure way to make sure that when vaccinated are available, they won't take them!!  This really needs to be a controlled, gradual, planned, deliberate reopening, if it is to work.   

Sounds good, but planning is not their strong side... You and I would have vaccinated the new areas where travel may happen first. However,they announce it first and then provide too few vaccines.

Some on here think it's just their intention to delay and really not want all the tourism anymore. Others think they continually promise and postpone like a carrot on a stick in order to keep hopes up and avoid having to hand out money to support the population.

Whatever it is, I prefer the clean honest truth. Then you know what to expect and can plan your life accordingly. But apparently that's not going to happen...

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

Pretty simple - just a major ass-covering exercise for when it all goes wrong: "the fate of the program depends on the Thai people and how well they follow rules to prevent the spread of Covid-19."

It'll all be the fault of "the Thai people", nothing to do with the government's abject failure to vaccinate adequately before encouraging people to travel with subsidies and opening bars and nightlife too early.

That sums it up pretty well,  Stonker! 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jason said:

The sensible way forward is to open the holiday hotspots after channelling vaccines to the Thais in these provinces to the point of 80% double dose (no cheating...it will only blow up in your face if you do). This will start to revive these sectors.   

Sounds good, @Jason, but it's impossible in reality as you can't isolate those "holiday hotspots" either for Thais or for the tourists.

Even with an island like Phuket you can't close it off completely, and even if everyone going in and out has to be double dosed (no cheating) you'll still have some vaccinated carriers.

Outside of an island, somewhere like Pattaya, how do you seal it off?

They tried before and gave up after less than a day.

A massive amount of the population there are transient, long or short term.  Many lottery sellers are there for a week then home for a week, and home could be 500 or 800 kms away - in my province, more than 90% of the known cases have come directly or indirectly from lottery sellers.

It sounds easy, as if all you have to do is bubble and seal Phuket and Pattaya ... and Hua Hin ... and Chiang Mai ... and Koh Samui ... and Bangkok ... but the reality is that unless they're islands you can't, and even if they are and they're comparatively well vaccinated, as Phuket's amply demonstrated the level of Covid infection is still going to be as high as anywhere else for a variety of reasons.

It's just not possible in the real world.

15 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I’ve heard that before, right before they opened Phuket. Never happen, probably won’t this time either. 

No, but it surely doesnt send out a good signal too potential travellers.. You really wanna buy that ticket now or maybe put your money on another horse for your long awaited vacation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bob20 said:

UK politicians are asking for new restrictions even with their high levels of vaccination and effective vaccines as things are turning sour already.

It can't work here with the situation we have. And using common sense they shouldn't open up until they at least caught up with the delayed start in vaccination and arrive at a higher percentage (and not counting single or double Sinovac)

What are the restrictions they are asking for ?

I haven't seen anything apart from them bowing to the airline industry - bojo isn't going to put anything covid related into reverse, not a chance.

A lot of focus on November 1st - maybe they should update their own embassies who make no reference at all to any part of his announcement on their websites! Until there is a semblance of clarity nothing is going to change in terms of numbers.

Infact I can see hordes of revitalised sexpests at Swampy with exasperated looks on their faces completely unprepared wondering what the hell the imm officers are talking about ! 

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

A lot of focus on November 1st - maybe they should update their own embassies who make no reference at all to any part of his announcement on their websites! Until there is a semblance of clarity nothing is going to change in terms of numbers.

Infact I can see hordes of revitalised sexpests at Swampy with exasperated looks on their faces completely unprepared wondering what the hell the imm officers are talking about ! 

As you know full well, it is not official until Gazetted......................no embassy will update until then.

36 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

As you know full well, it is not official until Gazetted......................no embassy will update until then.

Maybe it won't be gazetted until a certain country introduces a reciprocal agreement, you know so certain people and their serfs can come and go easier,  just a thought. 😉