News Forum - Prosecutors to decide Thanathorn’s fate on November 4 following vaccine comments

Thaiger

On November 4, prosecutors will decide whether or not to indict Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit over comments he made about Thailand’s AstraZeneca technology-transfer deal. At the start of the year, the founder of the Progressive Movement criticised the government for being overly-reliant on Siam Bioscience for Covid-19 vaccines. The Bangkok Post reports that Thanathorn faces charges of violating Thailand’s defamation law and the Computer Crime Act, but the most serious charge is that of lèse-majesté. The lèse-majesté law, or section 112 of the Criminal Code, prohibits criticising, defaming or otherwise disrespecting the monarchy and carries some harsh punishments. On January 18, Thanathorn […]

The story Prosecutors to decide Thanathorn’s fate on November 4 following vaccine comments as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

violating Thailand’s defamation law

The defamation law is one of the biggest obstacles for Thailand to develop. To a grown up.

• Like 2

I understand (I think) the strict laws here. But can someone explain to me how asking open questions about whether something was done properly can amount to breaking the rules? As I read it the man didn't make accusations, but just asked questions...

• Like 2