News Forum - Thai industry bodies encouraged by tourism re-opening plan

Thaiger

The chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries has welcomed the plan to re-open Thailand to vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries. Supant Mongkolsuthree says the planned November 1 re-opening will accelerate economic growth and increase business confidence. According to a Bangkok Post report, Supant predicts the return of foreign tourism could see GDP growth achieve its target of 0% – 1% this year. While a number of health experts have voiced concerns about the planned re-opening and the impact on Covid-19 infection rates, Supant urges them to view things differently. He points out that the pandemic may never end, adding […]

The story Thai industry bodies encouraged by tourism re-opening plan as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I know that the Thai Government has the opinion that it's all about Thailand reopening and "allowing" foreign tourists to arrive (with several restrictions and hoops to jump through). That would have been a valid mindset when Thailand had no community transmission. I remember that time well. Quarantining all arrivals and protecting Thailand against any source of infection. It's 2021. That reality is gone. Now Thailand has ten thousand infections of Delta every day. You want international tourists to come to Thailand. You expect them to have double dosed vaccination and PCR tests before they leave their country and then get tested on arrival again. The Thai government also lists ten low risk countries (yet to be fully revealed), who will be given the privilege to enter Thailand (quarantine free...but with tests). I really think it's time for the Thai Government to wake up! International tourists (who would be a very useful stimulus to the economy), have more choice than Thailand. So we're not holding our breath or restricting ourselves to spending our money in Thailand (yes...even though we have had so many happy holidays there). See how Thailand stacks up against the Seychelles, for example. Thailand ....10,000 cases per day, nowhere near 80% vaccinated. Seychelles...over 80% vaccinated....280 cases today. Which would you choose.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

While a number of health experts have voiced concerns about the planned re-opening and the impact on Covid-19 infection rates, Supant urges them to view things differently. He points out that the pandemic may never end

Easy to say when I’m sure he and his family are all fully vaccinated with AZ or Pfizer. 

Id also add that every one of the people in the article are still missing the point. They are fixated on safety standards, building of confidence and issues of tourists returning home. Apart from China (which I know is a massive market but they won’t listen to Thailand or anyone), this has nothing to do with attracting foreigners (tourists). If anyone has the email address for any of these people, can you please cut and paste the following and send it to them? Ta!

ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH SAFETY PROTOCOLS. ITS ALL ABOUT THE SHA+ HOTEL BOOKING, COE AND INSURANCE THATS STOPPING PEOPLE. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

ITS ALL ABOUT THE SHA+ HOTEL BOOKING, COE AND INSURANCE THATS STOPPING PEOPLE

Actually it's the fear of testing positive on day 12 after a two week holiday that's scaring some

According to a Bangkok Post report, Supant predicts the return of foreign tourism could see GDP growth achieve its target of 0% – 1% this year.

This is optimism, I'd agree with myself but I cannot stop laughing.

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

According to a Bangkok Post report, Supant predicts the return of foreign tourism could see GDP growth achieve its target of 0% – 1% this year.

This is optimism, I'd agree with myself but I cannot stop laughing.

I'd give you a tissue, but I ran out too 🤣

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Actually it's the fear of testing positive on day 12 after a two week holiday that's scaring some

Well in the new plans, that won’t happen. Even worse is you could test positive on day 1 and spend your entire “holiday” in a field hospital 😱

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well in the new plans, that won’t happen. Even worse is you could test positive on day 1 and spend your entire “holiday” in a field hospital 😱

Same same

14 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Or you could have the holiday of a lifetime.

If you dont go you'll never know.

😂. Holiday of a lifetime. Kill me now then if that’s the best I’ll experience. Multiple documents requires and swabs up my nose. Closed businesses. Little or no nightlife. Fear of a change at any minute and lockdown. Fear of a false positive and spending days in quarantine or a field hospital. Holiday of a lifetime indeed. Give me a break 😂

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1