Ethernet cable in hotels/apartments

Marc26

I would assume there is plug-in ethernet in a lot of hotels in Thailand.

What about apartments? Does anyone know if they are mostly wifi, or would an apartment have an ethernet port?

Thanks

I'd change "a lot of" to "some" hotels. They may have one for the digital TV or an in-room router but that's it.

Apartments would depend on if they offer building-wide WiFi with the lease or if you arrange your own service. I think @dj230 has been apartment-hunting fairly recently. He might have better info.

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

What about apartments? Does anyone know if they are mostly wifi, or would an apartment have an ethernet port?

Thanks

Wifi mostly in hotels, at least from my experience, this was at a quarantine hotel ibis styles phra khanong 

with condos / apartments usually have to pay for internet, I was in a cheap apartment in lat krabang, the landlord charged a fee for wifi, I just got 5G max speed from AIS and hotspot my mobile to my laptop with USB-c, no Ethernet wiring in the room. 

although mobile 5G didn’t work great in a condo, I’m guessing the signal isn’t great with a high rise and so many occupants, but it worked great in a low rise apartment 

I moved into a condo in pleonchit and got fiber internet installed, they have both wifi and Ethernet (Router had LAN through fiber connection in the wall), had to contact internet service provider myself and setup through them.

Suprisingly all was super fast and reliable. Some condos don’t have fiber internet wiring, so you may be stuck with broadband, definitely something you should check before renting. I think the speed difference with broadband is like 50mbps-100mbps vs fiber at 500mbps-1gbps

Might not be the most accurate info, I’ve only been in Thailand for a few months 

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Wifi mostly in hotels, at least from my experience, this was at a quarantine hotel ibis styles phra khanong 

with condos / apartments usually have to pay for internet, I was in a cheap apartment in lat krabang, the landlord charged a fee for wifi, I just got 5G max speed from AIS and hotspot my mobile to my laptop with USB-c, no Ethernet wiring in the room. 

although mobile 5G didn’t work great in a condo, I’m guessing the signal isn’t great with a high rise and so many occupants, but it worked great in a low rise apartment 

I moved into a condo in pleonchit and got fiber internet installed, they have both wifi and Ethernet (Router had LAN through fiber connection in the wall), had to contact internet service provider myself and setup through them.

Suprisingly all was super fast and reliable. Some condos don’t have fiber internet wiring, so you may be stuck with broadband, definitely something you should check before renting. I think the speed difference with broadband is like 50mbps-100mbps vs fiber at 500mbps-1gbps

Might not be the most accurate info, I’ve only been in Thailand for a few months 

Actually very useful 

I would look for and ask for fiber internet wiring 

I can't use wifi for my work if I am going work there for a couple of months

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Actually very useful 

I would look for and ask for fiber internet wiring 

I can't use wifi for my work if I am going work there for a couple of months

Thanks 

Just curious why can’t you use wifi? 

the ping to American internet servers is still quite high with fiber, incase that’s the issue, roughly 200-300ms ping on Speedtest.net to New York 

ping to Thailand servers in bangkok are under 5ms on fiber (2-3ms usually) and around 30ms on 5G 

In terms of reliability/connectivity the wifi hasn’t had frequent drops in connection yet for me, this would be dependant on the router/fiber connection though. I think I’ve had 1-2 wifi connection drops in the past few months, keep in mind if electricity cuts out for any reason, happened once randomly for me, you lose the fiber internet connection so a backup 5G hotspot comes in handy 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Just curious why can’t you use wifi? 

the ping to American internet servers is still quite high with fiber, incase that’s the issue, roughly 200-300ms ping on Speedtest.net to New York 

ping to Thailand servers in bangkok are under 5ms on fiber (2-3ms usually) and around 30ms on 5G 

In terms of reliability/connectivity the wifi hasn’t had frequent drops in connection yet for me, this would be dependant on the router/fiber connection though. I think I’ve had 1-2 wifi connection drops in the past few months, keep in mind if electricity cuts out for any reason, happened once randomly for me, you lose the fiber internet connection so a backup 5G hotspot comes in handy 

It's a compliance issue

Firm feels a plugged-in ethernet connection is more secure

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It's a compliance issue

Firm feels a plugged-in ethernet connection is more secure

So why not use a travel wifi repeater ? I use to use a netgear one, plug it into your room power socket and set it up to connect to hotel wifi. Then plug laptop into the ethernet port on the repeater. Job done and worked fine

13 minutes ago, gummy said:

So why not use a travel wifi repeater ? I use to use a netgear one, plug it into your room power socket and set it up to connect to hotel wifi. Then plug laptop into the ethernet port on the repeater. Job done and worked fine

I looked into something like that when I just did similar working from an apartment in US 

Your solution, it seems I would still be on the hotel WIFI??

I'm not that technically savvy, so I may be incorrect in thinking that 

PS.....I think I would be perfectly fine on wifi, security wise. But it's going to be a hard sell getting approved to WFH in Thailand. So want to be able to follow what they want 

Edited by Marc26

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I looked into something like that when I just did similar working from an apartment in US 

Your solution, it seems I would still be on the hotel WIFI??

I'm not that technically savvy, so I may be incorrect in thinking that 

PS.....I think I would be perfectly fine on wifi, security wise. But it's going to be a hard sell getting approved to WFH in Thailand. So want to be able to follow what they want 

Yes you are still on the hotel wifi but your laptop is plugged into ethernet so all your software thinks so to. I needed it a few years back when working on a project for a UK government division and their criteria was same as yours ,no wifi. This overcame that problem. Attach photos of my one fyi

20211013_085433.jpg

20211013_085900.jpg

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

i have stayed in a huge number of hotels all over Thailand and only in five star hotels have i seen ethernet. almost all WiFi. And the trend I see is to make access to the rear of the start TV in your room difficult to get to so you can't use that connection.  

25 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have stayed in a huge number of hotels all over Thailand and only in five star hotels have i seen ethernet. almost all WiFi. And the trend I see is to make access to the rear of the start TV in your room difficult to get to so you can't use that connection.  

Yeah. Like this...

20210122_012421234_iOS.jpg

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Funny is that I only said that about hotels is being I usually do stay in higher end places and have seen the ethernet port still on their desks

But then I figured it is sort of an "old thing " and most hotels would have it 

In North America, places like Marriott and Holiday Inns have them 

But I would likely be renting a villa if I stay long term

It may be Kamala and I have a mate there so can possibly have him go look at potential places 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Yes you are still on the hotel wifi but your laptop is plugged into ethernet so all your software thinks so to. I needed it a few years back when working on a project for a UK government division and their criteria was same as yours ,no wifi. This overcame that problem. Attach photos of my one fyi

20211013_085433.jpg

20211013_085900.jpg

Thanks Gummy

Yeah like I said, I don't even think wifi would be an issue 

So to suffice them may be good enough....

Ultimately I'd like to have the proper ethernet setup 

When I did this in Boston this summer, I was told there was ethernet but got there and didn't know where

My sister ended up figuring out

Was on the TV modem behind the TV 

27 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Thanks Gummy

Yeah like I said, I don't even think wifi would be an issue 

So to suffice them may be good enough....

Ultimately I'd like to have the proper ethernet setup 

When I did this in Boston this summer, I was told there was ethernet but got there and didn't know where

My sister ended up figuring out

Was on the TV modem behind the TV 

As someone said most hotels irrrespective of the quality are opting to wifi as it avoids issues updating the infrastructure to each room in later years. The downside to my suggestion is of course is that wifi speeds are slower than ethernet in most situations currently.

13 minutes ago, gummy said:

As someone said most hotels irrrespective of the quality are opting to wifi as it avoids issues updating the infrastructure to each room in later years. The downside to my suggestion is of course is that wifi speeds are slower than ethernet in most situations currently.

Yeah and I have tons of data going on my systems 

But I didn't upgrade the internet at our Boston rental and the speed seemed fine

And I would imagine they just had regular internet there 

When covid started I upgraded to 300mbps at home(fastest available in my building) and was fine (when there is 1-2.5 gig in some houses)

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah and I have tons of data going on my systems 

But I didn't upgrade the internet at our Boston rental and the speed seemed fine

And I would imagine they just had regular internet there 

When covid started I upgraded to 300mbps at home(fastest available in my building) and was fine (when there is 1-2.5 gig in some houses)

Our house out in the sticks here is consistenly over 900 mbps down and 700 up. Even if I switch to wifi it is 400 ish. Not bad when I hear how slow it still is in country areas of the UK

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

Our house out in the sticks here is consistenly over 900 mbps down and 700 up. Even if I switch to wifi it is 400 ish. Not bad when I hear how slow it still is in country areas of the UK

Wow

So I should be more than ok the beach areas I am thinking about staying, speed wise 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Wow

So I should be more than ok the beach areas I am thinking about staying, speed wise 

Thanks 

3BB seem on top currently. Now if you have some of the latest laptops with wifi6 capabilites you could get over 1 gbps in the  town areas.

44 minutes ago, gummy said:

3BB seem on top currently. Now if you have some of the latest laptops with wifi6 capabilites you could get over 1 gbps in the  town areas.

I actually need to 2 pc screens

Would be taking my pc box with me

Would buy the screens, etc there 

Oh and my pc box isn't wifi capable

Forgot that's another reason I need plugged in ethernet   😞