News Forum - Thai police crack down on street racing, more than 300,000 motorbikes seized this year

Thaiger

Thai police are cracking down on street racing, and the deputy national police chief says that, since the start of this year, thousands of street racers have faced charges and tens of thousands of parents have faced charges because their children were involved in races. Police are even giving out 3,000 baht to those make a report about street racing and the information leads to an arrest. According to Nation Thailand, deputy chief General Damrongsak Kittipraphas said officers have confiscated 320,973 motorcycles and motorbikes that were used in illegal races. The deputy chief says more than 3,000 street racers have […]

The story Thai police crack down on street racing, more than 300,000 motorbikes seized this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Either the story is total BS or the RTP don't operate around Buriram. 

The only incentive if you go to the police station is a charge of 100 baht to make a police report, knowing full well it won't be acted on.

• Haha 3

320,973 motorcycles / 285 days (as of 12/10) = 1,126 bikes per day = 47 bikes seized per hour 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 
Enough said…

EDIT - maybe they found Joe Ferrari’s motorcycle fleet and it’s a cunning ruse to slip 250,000 motorcycles into the police auctions without arousing suspicion? 

Edited by Fanta
Conspiracy theory
  • Haha 2

The photo in the last comment, shows the reality of motorcycle riding in Thailand.... Yes I too have see it. Interestingly, these people aren't the problem. That motorbike has 50-60 ccs. It is carrying a load that will ensure it never gets over 45 klms per hour (downhill...with a tailwind). Would I prefer to see them all wearing Kevlar vests and helmets (an impossible dream , I know).....Yes! Surprisingly, they're not the worry. It's the young "Blades" (Australian for carefree youth who do whatever, whenever...no matter what the risk is...to themselves...or anyone else). These wannabes are the real threat...to themselves and everyone else, because they are overconfident, which leads to fatal errors of judgement. 

• Like 2

As to the wannabes....there is something to think about. They spend all their money buying or sometimes stealing high powered motorbikes...for the thrill...or to impress others. But wilful flaunting of the rules of safety? And endangering the lives of other people? Confiscate the bike and crush it!!! Maybe they will learn to respect other people on the road and their lives. It's no joke! I'm an Undertaker!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

As to the wannabes....there is something to think about. They spend all their money buying or sometimes stealing high powered motorbikes...for the thrill...or to impress others. But wilful flaunting of the rules of safety? And endangering the lives of other people? Confiscate the bike and crush it!!! Maybe they will learn to respect other people on the road and their lives. It's no joke! I'm an Undertaker!

While agreeing with most of what you posted it's not really high powered bikes that are the problem. The bike of choice for the yobs around here is the Honda Wave fitted with an exhaust that makes them sound like a knackered old tractor. 

The RTP must hear these wannabe motorcycle racers coming from many KM away but do nothing to stop them.

• Like 2

I have seen enough young lives lost to their families. I have to arrange their funerals and comfort their loved ones (and yes...the funerals of Thais in my own country). Crush the bikes! They are worth nothing! The young lives are worth everything! Ask the Fathers...ask the Mothers who gave birth to them and sacrificed so much to raise them! 

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Police are even giving out 3,000 baht to those make a report about street racing

Then arrest all the motococho racers in our soi. They should work as stuntmen in the Thai version of mad max instead.

You can hear these idiots with their crappy bikes coming from many km away.

Do the RTP really need to be told where they are, is the incompetence really so high.

46 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

You can hear these idiots with their crappy bikes coming from many km away.

Do the RTP really need to be told where they are, is the incompetence really so high.

I see it here, they actually drive by 2 gold tops on a bike at an incredible speed and noise,but the gold tops do nothing.. then  just stop and set up a road block for the odd felang not wearing a helmet! 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I see it here, they actually drive by 2 gold tops on a bike at an incredible speed and noise,but the gold tops do nothing.. then  just stop and set up a road block for the odd felang not wearing a helmet! 

Because they are driven only by money not duty. Stop the crappy loud exhaust bikes they plead no money, RTP cannot be bothered with the paperwork and seizing the bikes so let them pass. Along comes the Ferang big smile an ATM machine riding a motorcycle.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

39 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Because they are driven only by money not duty. Stop the crappy loud exhaust bikes they plead no money, RTP cannot be bothered with the paperwork and seizing the bikes so let them pass. Along comes the Ferang big smile an ATM machine riding a motorcycle.

The no money argument doesn't seem to fly elsewhere. They just confiscate the bike. That doesn't just get rid of the noise, but they're usually also the dangerously speeding idiots

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Either the story is total BS or the RTP don't operate around Buriram. 

The only incentive if you go to the police station is a charge of 100 baht to make a police report, knowing full well it won't be acted on.

3 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Not really...216223047_Screenshot_20211011-154737_PhotoshopExpress.thumb.jpg.8bc44dd2e34a761afde1a2d006d10938.jpg

Yep. Safety first.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Hang on a minute....do you mean there are actually road rules in Thailand for motorbikes?? 

Actually yes but the dilemma is finding enough teenagers on 2 wheels to follow them.

3 hours ago, Transam said:

I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a BiB, but I have seen quite regularly a gang of kids doing daft stuff on 2 wheeled sheds....😧

I saw some this morning at a check point they were all sitting under a tent playing on their phones 

Ok, this  -Meanwhile, over 40,000 parents were charged with violating Child Protection Act for letting their children participating in illegal street racing, either as racers or spectators.- is one step forward.

But how many parents of the underaged drivers, obviously without license, who are driving openly, got charged last year?

How many underaged and 15-17+11month years old got charged, while driving a 125 or bigger? Last time I checked, the age for 125++ is 18.

Oh, and not to forget: The 100% helmet, enforced for driver AND passenger(s;-), also the "3 on a bike is forbidden" thing, how is that going on?

No tips needed, just acting, while passing them!

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Don't exaggerate!  😉

Stand outside the school near me, 7 on a bike no helmets stopping at 7/11 across the road getting a bottle of Sangsom 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai police are cracking down on street racing, and the deputy national police chief says that, since the start of this year, thousands of street racers have faced charges and tens of thousands of parents have faced charges because their children were involved in races. Police are even giving out 3,000 baht to those make a report about street racing and the information leads to an arrest. According to Nation Thailand, deputy chief General Damrongsak Kittipraphas said officers have confiscated 320,973 motorcycles and motorbikes that were used in illegal races. The deputy chief says more than 3,000 street racers have […]

The story Thai police crack down on street racing, more than 300,000 motorbikes seized this year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is this the Joe Ferrari version in motor bikes?  Cops confiscate the bikes, have a big auction and the General gets a big slice of the money.

40 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Stand outside the school near me, 7 on a bike no helmets stopping at 7/11 across the road getting a bottle of Sangsom 

Exactly.......I presume you saw the 'winking' emoticon?

• Like 1

I wonder what sort of pursuit training the bike cops have out here, maybe none and that's why they wait of Farangs who will actually stop when told to. 

As pointed out the Police are more money orientated than Law , order and safety enforcement officers sadly. 

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

The police stand outside schools everyday and do jack shit, 

As another member said the minimum age for legally riding a Motorcycle is 18. So why do high schools provide covered parking for students to come to school on them.

Is it not a good indication to the police stood outside the schools that the kids wearing school uniform are obviously under age and have no licence, insurance and in most cases no helmet.

The roads in Thailand can never improve when the inept police endorse the breaking of the laws by their inaction...

Unless your a ferang of course...🤣