News Forum - Opinion divided on proposed 500 baht tourism tax

Thaiger

A plan to impose a 500 baht “tourism tax” on foreign arrivals from next year has divided opinion among tourism operators. A report by Nikkei Asia says some operators are concerned such a move could deter tourists, just as the country prepares to re-open. One of those is the president of the Thai Hotels Association, Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi. “The fee to be implemented is considerably high for those visiting Thailand, where hotel rooms can be had for as little as 1,000 baht. The 500 baht will affect potential visitors’ decisions.” Kongsak Khoopongsakorn from the THA’s southern chapter agrees that the […]

The story Opinion divided on proposed 500 baht tourism tax as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well I isn't really nice...but understandable and it is not extremely high  I think.. but it is just...

Welcome in Thailand...... eh eh first to the left to pay 500 baht then you welcome... 😄  at least AMAZING Thailand  stays preserved 

Edited by Paco
  • Like 2

It's not the amount, 500 baht isn't a breaker. It's the timing of banging another charge in place.

As the world slowly and cautiously re-opens to tourists trying to attract the few that are willing to travel. Thailand's answer bang another tax on them, not a great welcome back sentiment is it.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Paco said:

Well I isn't really nice...but understandable and it is not extremely high  I think.. but it is just...

Welcome in Thailand...... eh eh first to the left to pay 500 baht then you welcome... 😄  at least AMAZING Thailand  stays preserved 

This is Thailand and cash handouts are so often distributed amongst the higher officals, i.e. doesn't go towards the needy. I think the  "Don Muang" 500THB charge(read; handout) is a good proof of that.

Edited by Ted

I thought 500b arrival tax would be a wonderful way to welcome tourists IF IT INCLUDED HEALTH AND ACCIDENT INSURANCE FOR 90days.

This would be a great PR tool.

WELCOME TO AMAZING AND SAFE THAILAND.

im sure the amount of claims would be negligible.

• Cool 1

How much is the city tax on hotels in Europe now? 

If they want to do this just put the tax on the flight so nobody will see it ! Call it a landing tax

The real problem is the amount of tax will not get to its destination but only a small percentage of it will

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gordonr said:

I thought 500b arrival tax would be a wonderful way to welcome tourists IF IT INCLUDED HEALTH AND ACCIDENT INSURANCE FOR 90days.

Too logical Gordon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This tax is in fact an insignificant amount for each visitor to pay. Indeed it is less than the departure tax that used to be collected at airports but is now incorporated in ticket prices. The more important issue is that there is absolutely no guarantee that the monies raised through this tax will be identified, publicly declared and transparently invested in tourism reconstruction. It will disappear into state coffers and be anonymously used to support junta friends in big business when in fact it is desperately needed to assist the millions of mom & pop tourism enterprises that have been deeply affected in the last 2 years and have no ability to take on new debt to rebuild themselves. 

• Like 4

kaptainrob,yes that would be great if they drop the 100,000 usd insurance and the 400,000 and 40,000 baht insurance.collecting this 500 baht fee from everyone would be great!good idea to let this stand for the insurance requirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordonr said:

Very good suggestion. Sure squeeze a few tourist bucks but give them more incentive to come in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farang said:

kaptainrob,yes that would be great if they drop the 100,000 usd insurance and the 400,000 and 40,000 baht insurance.collecting this 500 baht fee from everyone would be great!good idea to let this stand for the insurance requirement.

Somehow I think the powers at be will want their cake and eat it too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

Somehow I think the powers at be will want their cake and eat it too.

They want your cake more they can eat them both and still screw more out of the tourists.

• Like 2

The other 700 baht are already included in your ticket. Somehow I think this may be a cash transaction while airports aren't that busy yet. Waiting in line to drop off your cash may create a queue and give the impression that Thailand is hugely popular.

Of course all the money will be logged and accounted for 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

A one time fee is tolerable but a continuous one as I suspect they will enact is another revenue rape on tourist especially the ones who come and go here every year!

Get rid of the revenue rape fees such as COE and Insurance 

I doubt this fee will deter tourist from coming here.  I also doubt this fee will go to making this an “upscale” destination per those who established it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

I doubt this fee will deter tourist from coming here.  I also doubt this fee will go to making this an “upscale” destination per those who established it.

I tend to agree @Craig but there is nothing as strange as people. It’s not the 500 baht that will put people off directly. It what they say about it on social media in the taxi on the way from the airport that may do. I also don’t recall any money changing places air side on arrivals? 20 months since I was at Suvarnabhumi so I may be wrong? It’s a real pain though collecting cash on arrival. If they are going to do it then it should be in the air fare. Problem with that of course is that it hits Thais as well as foreigners. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rain said:

What? 

Really?

B500 is gonna break ya?

One might want to check others' hidden entry/exit tax and see where we stand.

No, 500 baht isn’t going to break you. But how do you collect it is a practical problem. Handing over real paper money or getting your credit cards out before you have even collected your bag doesn’t feel like a good piece of marketing.

You could do as the U.K. does with its expensive Air Passenger Duty (APD). That’s on the price of every departing ticket. Problem with that for the Thais is that it hits everyone, including Thais, and that would never do!   Their challenge is how to introduce a discriminatory tax on people they are trying to attract, without them really noticing and won’t cause an outpour of frustration and anger on social media. Anyone who has been to Thailand even once will know what LOS really means…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, riclag said:

A one time fee is tolerable but a continuous one as I suspect they will enact is another revenue rape on tourist especially the ones who come and go here every year!

Get rid of the revenue rape fees such as COE and Insurance 

Though, not official as of yet - but I believe the new selected opening is abiding by lifting of the quarantine, which includes the cancelling of the COE and insurance BS. I've been reading a number of articles regarding just this.....the associated details. 

The only requirements are: pre-flight RT-PCR testing and than again when arriving here. 

Nothing has gone up, officially, on any of the worldwide Thai Embassy/Consulate sites as of yet - expect the changes regarding COE/Ins to be posted soon.

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

Nothing has gone up, officially, on any of the worldwide Thai Embassy/Consulate sites as of yet - expect the changes regarding COE/Ins to be posted soon.

Careful now. You are starting to sound like a Politician😉. “Soon”?

soon
/suːn/

adverb
  1. 1. 
    in or after a short time.
    "everyone will soon know the truth"

• Like 1

Just been looking at the stats for visitor numbers to TH, length of stay and average daily spend. These are rounded up/down to practical figures 40 mill/9 days/$135 but does not include flight costs. A 1% levy on the spend produces just under $500 mill US.

A levy of $1.40 per day on the ticket price capped at 28 days, produces the same amount. For the average tourist that would be $12.60 USD (THB 420). 

Just thinking out loud. Of course what I can think of, is where this money may end up.

• Like 1