News Forum - PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s televised address, translated in English

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

So perhaps as you appear to be fluent in the illustrious Thai language you can provide the perfect translation? I’ve always thought that many of the childish and often pathetic comments from senior ministers is due to translation issues. If this is another example, perhaps you could correct what has been published? 

Thank you. 

It this case "encourage" would have been my choice.

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

That being said, and slightly off topic, seeing the big market empty for a few days and the dilapidated state of it, I wonder why no earlier outbreaks of other diseases have occurred.

They should use these 14 days to thoroughly clean and fix it.

Rotten wood floors, rats everywhere, dirt everywhere, waste water everywhere... Usually there are stalls and food and people everywhere and you can't see it, but the whole place is a hazzard waiting to happen anyway.

Yes I have seen similar things. The old Nana plaza was buzzing at night and the bars looked lively and inviting. Go for a walk around during the day, and you wondered how you got out with only a lighter wallet. Cockroach and rat infested s-hole. But we loved it 😂😂 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I have seen similar things. The old Nana plaza was buzzing at night and the bars looked lively and inviting. Go for a walk around during the day, and you wondered how you got out with only a lighter wallet. Cockroach and rat infested s-hole. But we loved it 😂😂 

Maybe I'll have 6 beers before going to the market next time then 🤭

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

It this case "encourage" would have been my choice.

Sorry I don’t follow? Encourage in place of what word in what part of the speech?

I really would like to know. As I say, I often can’t believe some of the words and language I read in some English  papers such as the Post of Nation. I have to believe that people running a country like Thailand wouldn’t use such words. That the Thai language is more subtle and nuanced than the harsh words used. Examples are the seemingly excessive use of the word “Instructed” when perhaps the translation is more like “requested” or “advised” or maybe even “asked”. It can put a whole new light on how you judge many announcements. 

Thanks  

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Maybe I'll have 6 beers before going to the market next time then 🤭

Funny how without thinking, I linked the words Market and Nana Plaza 😉

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry I don’t follow? Encourage in place of what word in what part of the speech?

I really would like to know. As I say, I often can’t believe some of the words and language I read in some English  papers such as the Post of Nation. I have to believe that people running a country like Thailand wouldn’t use such words. That the Thai language is more subtle and nuanced than the harsh words used. Examples are the seemingly excessive use of the word “Instructed” when perhaps the translation is more like “requested” or “advised” or maybe even “asked”. It can put a whole new light on how you judge many announcements. 

Thanks  

Most will struggle with the language, especially when attempting to put the all-purpose Occidental twist on everything. It doesn't work like that. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

we must act quickly but still cautiously, and not miss the opportunity to entice some of the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers during the next few months to support the many millions of people who earn a living from our tourism,

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks  

I don't think it was far off but Bluesofa seemed a bit put off by it suggesting something more sinister.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faraday said:

@Yinn

If you have time, will you translate it please?

Ohh, this is professional translation, not same Thailish Yinn. Think native English speaker do it?

But it look same what he say last night. I think, some English word I not understand. 

He have lot of pressure now, flood. People through egg, plaraa at him. 55555  swearing. Must change his plan. 

Now we free again will be a lot protest. He finish next year. Sure. 

Get out. 

Goodbye Uncle Too.    

pfffft. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Ohh, this is professional translation, not same Thailish Yinn. Think native English speaker do it?

I have never said that you are not Thai, or doubted your translations.

I am disappointed....

Never mind, how is your lovely son?

☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

Very fair point, @JamesE, but hoping the plan's a failure shouldn't really be a 'best outcome'!

I don't hope that at all. I just think that there was some non-rational thought behind deciding to do it now. I know they are anxious to get the New Year and Lunar New Year tourists to start booking now because, as airline reports show vis-a-vis Singapore, they'll all be booking holidays in Singapore. The problem with placing a big bet now, is that any bad news out of Thailand - infected tourists, new surges, continued location tracking, an extension of the alcohol ban - will make recovering from this misstep even harder.

My take would have been to announce new Sandboxes with the same restrictions, and benefits, as Phuket. And, at the same time, announce the "full re-opening" plans for December 1. Phuket daily arrivals have increased about 25% since the "quarantine" was reduced to 7 days.

The PM's speech was long on the economic need of the people of Thailand and short on the reasons the tourists should be booking right now. It was the speech of a general and given the history of these "plans" may have landed flat on both counts.

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

Very fair point, @JamesE, but hoping the plan's a failure shouldn't really be a 'best outcome'!

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

I don't hope that at all.

Well, then I'm confused as you did say "I'm hoping that travelers do come, but at a trickle initially to give everybody a chance to get their feet back on the ground".

A "trickle initially", etc, would seem to "make the plan a failure" as the plan is to return to full levels of tourism for "the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers...".

The year-end and New Year is literally eleven weeks away.

How can Thailand possibly fully vaccinate enough people adequately within the next nine weeks, by mid to late December, so that people can "get their feet back on the ground" to make that happen?

Take off two weeks after the second dose for any vaccine to be effective, and you're down to only seven weeks.

Only a third of the population have been fully vaccinated so far, even if you over generously accept that two doses of Sinovac are any use against Delta, and that under-18's only need one dose of Pfizer.

Half the population haven't even had a first dose yet.

How is it going to be physically possible, even if all the necessary vaccines are here already which they're obviously not, to fully vaccinate half the population, with both doses, in seven weeks?

Even cutting it down to 80% of the population, which is hopelessly inadequate when a lot have had Sinovac for one or both doses, simple maths show that it's impossible.

The only way the plan can "work" is if it fails, tourists don't come, and travel and other restrictions can be kept in place for at least an additional month or two, probably more, to enable more vaccines to arrive and more people to be vaccinated.

44 minutes ago, Stonker said:

as the plan is to return to full levels of tourism

This is not the plan at all. Per the PM: "not miss the opportunity to entice some of the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers"

"Some", not "all" and not "full levels". Nobody ever said "full levels".

Have you been taking some kind of Arguing About Everything class?

Yell Bugs Bunny GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

This is not the plan at all. Per the PM: "not miss the opportunity to entice some of the year-end and New Year holiday season travelers"

Of course he has!

It is his stock in trade  -  biggest troll on the forum.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesE said:

Perhaps he's had training......?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, JamesE said:

This is not the plan at all.

Sorry, I hadn't realised he'd given you a separate briefing that no-one else was privy to, filling in all the gaps and details pretty much everyone else here and in the media have said were missing.

"Some", not "all" and not "full levels". Nobody ever said "full levels"

Actually plenty, such as the TAT and Phuket and Samui authorities, have suggested full levels next year, stepping up from the end of the year. 

They may well be wrong, but they are still "authorities" and they've still said it. Repeatedly.

Beyond bizarre.

I say that I think you've made a "fair point" and that I "agree" with you - even "agree 100%" - and then you launch into some weird discourse on how you "think that there was some non-rational thought behind deciding to do it now" but that you hope it works ...

... even though it's clearly impossible for it to work given the time frame, as that would mean vaccinating far more people in the next seven weeks than have been vaccinated in the last seven months!

... which you overlook completely!!! 😂

... and then, although I've said I think you've made a "fair point" you say that I'm arguing!!! 😂 😂 😂

Maybe your meds need changing ...

13 hours ago, Faraday said:

I have never said that you are not Thai, or doubted your translations.

I am disappointed....

Never mind, how is your lovely son?

☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

Sorry na. Take more than 4 hour do that one. Sure.

listen the idiot then, then pause, then write in Thai and then translate English. Check word I not know. Quite difficult. More difficult than conversations. Good for learn English but now busy a lot. 

Son is sleeping. But wake up every 3 hour for milk. One week already. My brain sleepy. Worry if he ok all the time.

Today public holiday. He not care!

• Like 2