News Forum - Thailand to lift quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries

Thaiger

11 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

Isn't this exciting! Prayut says 10 countries don't need to quarantine from the 1st of November, and then only lists 5 of them! We have booked for the 11th of November but remain none the wiser.

It's great if you live in the UK, US, China, Singapore and Germany because you have been informed of your future travel arrangements and can steam ahead, but what about the rest of us? I am hoping the Netherlands is also included in the top ten "low-risk Country list" but who really knows? I guess not even the PM himself knows, until he addresses the CCSA as their chairman later this week.

As for including the UK as a low-risk country in the first place is mind-boggling. Another 38,520 new infections today and 181 deaths is hardly low-risk, and it is still listed over here as a red-zone country. It almost makes Thailand look safe! We were back in the UK 2 weeks ago, and we had to undergo another antigen test at the airport, before we boarded our plane. Almost missed the flight because of it!

11 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

Isn't this exciting! Prayut says 10 countries don't need to quarantine from the 1st of November, and then only lists 5 of them! We have booked for the 11th of November but remain none the wiser.

It's great if you live in the UK, US, China, Singapore and Germany because you have been informed of your future travel arrangements and can steam ahead, but what about the rest of us? I am hoping the Netherlands is also included in the top ten "low-risk Country list" but who really knows? I guess not even the PM himself knows, until he addresses the CCSA as their chairman later this week.

Not really - even people from those 10 countries have no clue whether a COE or insurance is still required, or you can live at home as soon as you get here.  The confusion has only got worse not better! 

UK is definitely not low risk, daily infections is on an upward trend and deaths recorded a six fold increase yesterday. 

6 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

No, they did wonders for authoritarians around the world in conditioning the peasants to accept lockdowns ( a prison term btw ) and a loss of civil liberties...it also made a lot of wealthy individuals and corporations far more powerful and rich.

I know what you mean, I would like to rob a bank but the authoritarians have banned it by law, I would like to go shopping and not pay for it, knock out people I do not like but it is banned. 

Hang on , I have just realised the law stops them from doing such things to me , they are not that bad after all  😀

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 12:15 PM, Janneman said:

Opening bars and clubs is not a good idea. They did that here in Holland, only for vaccinated people. Within 2 weeks after the re-opening we went from under 500 cases a day to over 12.000 cases a day. 

I agree but here many tourist come for that....

5 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

Yet better than the USA and the UK (deaths per million) without mask mandates or lockdowns. 

But still closed it’s borders, had hand cleaning and social distancing. Masks were also worn on public transport, schools were closed for some periods and people behaved and followed government guidelines and advice. It is hard to compare one country with another, especially social behaviour. I would suggest comparing Sweden to Norway or Denmark is a far better comparison than the U.K. or US. Sweden’s death rate is four times higher per million than Norway who did lockdown. In countries like the U.K. people simply will not take instructions and follow professional advice. Equally the late lockdowns in the U.K. contributes significantly to the pandemic (as reported yesterday in a parliamentary report). Along with the fact that the population density is far higher than Sweden. More then ten times higher in fact. A lot of people who claim lockdowns don’t work point to Sweden as though life went on normally there. It didn’t carry on normally and what sort of works for Sweden could be a health crisis in places like the U.K. or even Thailand. Stockholm is not London or Bangkok! 

14 hours ago, atiger said:

Is Prayut Chan-o-cha a buffalo or what?

How is the United States a low risk country with up to 200,000 cases per day?

In NSW Australia, there's less than 500 cases per day with nearly 80% fully vaxxed and more than 90% single vaxxed but Australia is not on the low risk country list.

Well also keep in mind the size and population that they have.. if you only look at the infections is not fair they have a lot bigger population 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, Wormwood said:

Honestly, I would say yes… it has been a waste of time and money. The restrictions never could eliminate the spread of the virus. The leaders in every nation over reacted to the Covid virus. The fear of being seen as the political leader that did nothing outweighs a rational response to the situation. 
The Covid situation needed dealt with (It is a serious issue), but everyone running around making up inconsistent rules is proof of their incompetence. They would rather be seen as doing something, that was worthless, than be perceived as acting to slowly.
I would rather have an ounce of reason and logic to a pound of “mindless actions”. 
So yes a lot of wasted time. Not only in Thailand but around the world.

Naaah I did help very well, however after they made some very bad decisions, like Songkran... and from there it went bad...again

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Lockdowns do work and the statistics show it. But as Rain said the numbers went through the root. In short they work as well as possible when public servants (police and border security) hold off on taking bribes from fancy Thonglor Entertainment venues,  gambling dens and illegal workers crossing the border en masse.

What happened Soidog is enforced and regulated lockdowns went Teddy Bears picnic as those responsible could not honour theirs duties.

Yes I totally agree. It’s also why lockdown measures in places like the U.K. have been less effective than in many other European countries. People in the U.K. simply will not follow professional advice or even the law. Every time the government put out new advice or laws, even the media starting picking holes in it and looking to push and test the boundaries. A good example is when they said - you can only drink alcohol with a meal. What happened? People ask stupid questions like is a packet of crisp classed as a meal or a snack like a sausage roll. That’s a similar thing to what happened in Thailand. If people had followed advice and rules, they wouldn’t be where they are now with Covid.

So I think we are in full agreement.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guevara said:

The more you test per day, the more new cases you are likely to identify. The UK performs at least 800,000 tests per day. Compare that with Thailand, along with their respective vaccination programmes. The UK has already started its booster programme, approx 2.5 million administered already.

Totally agree Thailand would take nearly 4 weeks to perform 800,000 tests at the present rate. Just think what those numbers might look like. Might get Scary I'm thinking.

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Yes I totally agree. It’s also why lockdown measures in places like the U.K. have been less effective than in many other European countries. People in the U.K. simply will not follow professional advice or even the law. Every time the government put out new advice or laws, even the media starting picking holes in it and looking to push and test the boundaries. A good example is when they said - you can only drink alcohol with a meal. What happened? People ask stupid questions like is a packet of crisp classed as a meal or a snack like a sausage roll. That’s a similar thing to what happened in Thailand. If people had followed advice and rules, they wouldn’t be where they are now with Covid.

So I think we are in full agreement.  

Absolutely. It's a shame more folk don't have the same level of common sense as yourself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Totally agree Thailand would take nearly 4 weeks to perform 800,000 tests at the present rate. Just think what those numbers might look like. Might get Scary I'm thinking.

I think that’s an interesting calculation. That would place actual daily infections around 40,000 rather than 10. And deaths at 350-400 per day. I think they are probably far closer to what is really going on in Thailand right now. The U.K. is logging around 37,000 and around 108 deaths (both 7 day average). 

And before the “vaccines don’t work” people jump on those U.K. numbers as proof they don’t work. Remember that the U.K. is now fully open. All restaurants, bars, nightlife, shops, sports venues etc etc. That’s why case numbers are high, although deaths relatively low and flat or falling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think that’s an interesting calculation. That would place actual daily infections around 40,000 rather than 10. And deaths at 350-400 per day. I think they are probably far closer to what is really going on in Thailand right now. The U.K. is logging around 37,000 and around 108 deaths (both 7 day average). 

And before the “vaccines don’t work” people jump on those U.K. numbers as proof they don’t work. Remember that the U.K. is now fully open. All restaurants, bars, nightlife, shops, sports venues etc etc. That’s why case numbers are high, although deaths relatively low and flat or falling. 

Right again. Soidog going for a hat trick.

• Haha 2

So correct me if I'm wrong....

Apply for COE Oct 31st = 7 nights quarentine

Apply for COE Nov 1st = No quarentine

From now to Oct 31st, the COE will require you to quarentine (unless for the sandbox)

Ultimately, for the majority of tourists, it makes sense to wait until Nov 1st before applying for COE to avoid the quarentine and additional expense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Do you see what family members are doing to their own once they have tested positive?? Literally they are shunned or sent outside to live like they are a leper.

Which is exactly why, despite the antipathy to it and the outcry by uninformed farangs, those with Covid were first hospitalized, then when the numbers made that impossible, put in field hospitals or Covid Care Centres, until the numbers made that impossible too.

What else do you suggest families do when they only live in one room, or their house is only one room with a single separate toilet / bathroom?

WHAT?

It's very easy to be critical, particularly if you don't understand or ignore all the circumstances, but it's much harder to come up with an alternative solution.

I'm not suggesting that living in a hut in the fields for a fortnight is an ideal solution, but it's a lot better than infecting all your family and the entire village.

What alternative do you suggest?

WHAT?

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

But still closed it’s borders, had hand cleaning and social distancing. Masks were also worn on public transport, schools were closed for some periods and people behaved and followed government guidelines and advice. It is hard to compare one country with another, especially social behaviour. I would suggest comparing Sweden to Norway or Denmark is a far better comparison than the U.K. or US. Sweden’s death rate is four times higher per million than Norway who did lockdown. In countries like the U.K. people simply will not take instructions and follow professional advice. Equally the late lockdowns in the U.K. contributes significantly to the pandemic (as reported yesterday in a parliamentary report). Along with the fact that the population density is far higher than Sweden. More then ten times higher in fact. A lot of people who claim lockdowns don’t work point to Sweden as though life went on normally there. It didn’t carry on normally and what sort of works for Sweden could be a health crisis in places like the U.K. or even Thailand. Stockholm is not London or Bangkok! 

Sweden recommended facemasks on public transport. Huge difference from mandating them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-sweden-drops-face-mask-recommendation-never-mandated-them-2021-7

No one should have locked down. The world followed the lead of China. My plan: isolate the at-risk and let the healthy be productive. The left-wing nuts in the USA are requiring children to mask-up. less than 500 kids in the US have died from COVID and kids don't transmit the virus very well.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

Fear is not a strategy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LuckyStrike said:

Sweden recommended facemasks on public transport. Huge difference from mandating them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-sweden-drops-face-mask-recommendation-never-mandated-them-2021-7

No one should have locked down. The world followed the lead of China. My plan: isolate the at-risk and let the healthy be productive. The left-wing nuts in the USA are requiring children to mask-up. less than 500 kids in the US have died from COVID and kids don't transmit the virus very well.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

Fear is not a strategy.

Like I say, Scandinavian citizens accept recommendations from officials. Most countries citizens won’t even abide by laws. If the U.K. government had recommended face masks in public transport then hardly anyone would have complied. The way people react about being asked to wear a face mask in public is utterly ridiculous. You would think they had been asked to hop on one leg. So so selfish most people. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lukewilliams said:

So correct me if I'm wrong....

Apply for COE Oct 31st = 7 nights quarentine

Apply for COE Nov 1st = No quarentine

From now to Oct 31st, the COE will require you to quarentine (unless for the sandbox)

Ultimately, for the majority of tourists, it makes sense to wait until Nov 1st before applying for COE to avoid the quarentine and additional expense.

Unfortunately that’s how it is I’m terms of dates. I actually don’t think much will change in terms of expense and documentation after November 1st? All they appear to be doing is to make the whole of Thailand like the Phuket Sandbox and only needing one PCR test on arrival. So total savings over what is in place now in Phuket is the cost of one PCR test on day 6. And possibly 5 or 6 days in a hotel if you have a property in Thailand. If not property of your own you will save a few thousand baht. PCR test before you leave. Additional Covid insurance and application for a COE I think will remain in place. Mind you, you will save a lot of money with regard to entertainment,  as in November there won’t be a lot to do. 

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

Unfortunately that’s how it is I’m terms of dates. I actually don’t think much will change in terms of expense and documentation after November 1st? All they appear to be doing is to make the whole of Thailand like the Phuket Sandbox and only needing one PCR test on arrival. So total savings over what is in place now in Phuket is the cost of one PCR test on day 6. And possibly 5 or 6 days in a hotel if you have a property in Thailand. If not property of your own you will save a few thousand baht. PCR test before you leave. Additional Covid insurance and application for a COE I think will remain in place. Mind you, you will save a lot of money with regard to entertainment,  as in November there won’t be a lot to do. 

I will wait until the 1st November and then again an additional two weeks to make sure things do not change again, no rush at the moment.

24 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I will wait until the 1st November and then again an additional two weeks to make sure things do not change again, no rush at the moment.

I’m of the same opinion. I’m looking to travel in January and so I will watch with interest in November and book in December. I just hope I can get back in before they lockdown again 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stonker said:

Which is exactly why, despite the antipathy to it and the outcry by uninformed farangs, those with Covid were first hospitalized, then when the numbers made that impossible, put in field hospitals or Covid Care Centres, until the numbers made that impossible too.

What else do you suggest families do when they only live in one room, or their house is only one room with a single separate toilet / bathroom?

WHAT?

It's very easy to be critical, particularly if you don't understand or ignore all the circumstances, but it's much harder to come up with an alternative solution.

I'm not suggesting that living in a hut in the fields for a fortnight is an ideal solution, but it's a lot better than infecting all your family and the entire village.

What alternative do you suggest?

WHAT?

"What else do you suggest families do when they only live in one room, or their house is only one room with a single separate toilet / bathroom?"

Buy a bigger house?

• Cool 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Soidog said:

"In countries like the U.K. people simply will not take instructions and follow professional advice."

Quite the opposite, in the UK once the public were told what the rules were, once we knew what we had to do, the vast majority of people worked together and followed the rules, in queues at shops people kept their distance, they wore masks, washed their hands frequently as can be see when going in and out of shops, many people worked from home and the cities, trains etc were like ghost towns.

In contrast during my seven months last year in Phuket (January until the end of August) when queuing to go into Tesco for instance we were all squashed together in the queue as a worker had to dispense the sanitising gel to us one by one as for some reason we were not capable of using the gel ourselves.

Once in Tesco I tried to keep myself distant from others but Thai people are not used to that so would walk right up to you if they needed a product near you instead of waiting and be in your face in groups while you are trying to shop.

In Makro you pick your vegetables and fruit and put them in bags on the table of the one person weighting and pricing the bags, there were always about twenty five people time after time squashed into a crowd as they jostled to get served. 

I stay on a compound in Phuket with security hence one way in and one way out, 95% of the 400 houses are occupied by Thai families, many of them carried on having parties etc, they stick to the rules in public but not at home.

When I got back to the UK in August I saw most people sticking to the rules, I didn't even see any of my family for months just in case (for all of us).

On 10/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, Paco said:

Well also keep in mind the size and population that they have.. if you only look at the infections is not fair they have a lot bigger population 

Australia is not on the list because we other tourists sitting having a beer together are tired of hearing loud mouthed tattooed covered Ozzies shouting in an annoying accent right next to us.

You are on the loud and annoying list of countries and so can not come in.

Oops, I almost forgot to put in a joke emoji 🤣

Edited by JamesR
typo

10 minutes ago, JamesR said:

"In countries like the U.K. people simply will not take instructions and follow professional advice."

Quite the opposite, in the UK once the public were told what the rules were, once we knew what we had to do, the vast majority of people worked together and followed the rules, in queues at shops people kept their distance, they wore masks, washed their hands frequently as can be see when going in and out of shops, many people worked from home and the cities, trains etc were like ghost towns.

In contrast during my seven months last year in Phuket (January until the end of August) when queuing to go into Tesco for instance we were all squashed together in the queue as a worker had to dispense the sanitising gel to us one by one as for some reason we were not capable of using the gel ourselves.

Once in Tesco I tried to keep myself distant from others but Thai people are not used to that so would walk right up to you if they needed a product near you instead of waiting and be in your face in groups while you are trying to shop.

In Makro you pick your vegetables and fruit and put them in bags on the table of the one person weighting and pricing the bags, there were always about twenty five people time after time squashed into a crowd as they jostled to get served. 

I stay on a compound in Phuket with security hence one way in and one way out, 95% of the 400 houses are occupied by Thai families, many of them carried on having parties etc, they stick to the rules in public but not at home.

When I got back to the UK in August I saw most people sticking to the rules, I didn't even see any of my family for months just in case (for all of us).

But that's easy for those who knew how to queue before they could walk 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’m of the same opinion. I’m looking to travel in January and so I will watch with interest in November and book in December. I just hope I can get back in before they lockdown again 😉

I always book with airlines directly via their web sites so if I want to make a change in my booking I can do it online or just phone them.

I use EVA Air normally as their premium economy class is good, plus you can change the date of depart/return ticket multiples times for free.

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

But that's easy for those who knew how to queue before they could walk 😉

True, that is part of my point, plus if we bump into someone we both say sorry, that is funny. LOL

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Australia is not on the list because we other tourists sitting having a beer together are tired of hearing loud mouthed tattooed covered Ozzies shouting in an annoying accent right next to us.

You are on the loud and annoying list of countries and so can not come in.

Oops, I almost forgot to put in a joke emoji 🤣

I do not understand what that had to do with my comment... either way I do not have to come in .. I live in Thailand  🤪🤣