News Forum - Thailand to lift quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Well, it does take a level of expertise..........

I know the solution, a remote way of turning the lights on and off can be controlled from an iPhone app, that way the three ozzies can be sat at a bar, shirt off, tattoos on display, supping cold beer and talking loudly in strange annoying accents. 🤣

Just now, JamesR said:

I know the solution, a remote way of turning the lights on and off can be controlled from an iPhone app, that way the three ozzies can be sat at a bar, shirt off, tattoos on display, supping cold beer and talking loudly in strange annoying accents. 🤣

Perfect, mite!!😉

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Wow!, racist, indeed James.  I've always kept your remarks & Soidodg's separate from the bigoted Stonker, BOB20, et al, beacuse I figured you were  honest & not biased.

I wish Jason all the best in defending his nation against all the miserable White Blue collar workers who wed into Thai homes and are now repenting and realising that their bucks ain't worth shit gainst the rising THB 😂.

My advice - go home and live off your pensions/medinsurance.  Let me know when you die.  It'll provide me a new country to visit.

Salaam/Salom

Which James are you referring to and what comment are you referring to?

4 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Then a lot more people would have died during your strange process.

What you are saying is people should be allowed to carry on walking into a toxic smoke filled house and wait there for gas breathing apparatus to be delivered.

No, I am not saying that people should be allowed to carry on walking into a toxic smoke filled house and wait there for gas breathing apparatus to be delivered , what I am saying is that IMO , the restrictions shouldn't have been so stringent as Covid has a fatality rate of about 0.01 % for under 40 years old with no underlying health issues .

The people who covid doesn't effect have also had to suffer due to everything closing , when they could have carried on as normal 

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Perfect, mite!!😉

A few years ago I was flying from Phuket to KL, a bloke was asking the Malaysian stewardess for a pin, she said, "I do not have a pin", he said, "No, I need a pin", "But I do not have a pin", she replied and asked him what he wanted a pin for,  I calmly lent over and said he wants to borrow your pen to fill in his arrival card, he said cheers mite, the stewards rolled her eyes, and asked me where he came from, Germany, Holland she asked, I said no, Australia. 

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

A few years ago I was flying from Phuket to KL, a bloke was asking the Malaysian stewardess for a pin, she said, "I do not have a pin", he said, "No, I need a pin", "But I do not have a pin", she replied and asked him what he wanted a pin for,  I calmly lent over and said he wants to borrow your pen to fill in his arrival card, he said cheers mite, the stewards rolled her eyes, and asked me where he came from, Germany, Holland she asked, I said no, Australia. 

Are you sure about that, when did they learn to write ? 😂

17 minutes ago, Fluke said:

No, I am not saying that people should be allowed to carry on walking into a toxic smoke filled house and wait there for gas breathing apparatus to be delivered , what I am saying is that IMO , the restrictions shouldn't have been so stringent as Covid has a fatality rate of about 0.01 % for under 40 years old with no underlying health issues .

The people who covid doesn't effect have also had to suffer due to everything closing , when they could have carried on as normal 

You can't have it both ways. 

11 minutes ago, gummy said:

Are you sure about that, when did they learn to write ? 😂

I give them English writing lessons in Phuket when I am there. 

I am taking the piss out of them as they take the piss our of Brits, I know a few in Phuket and they are always good for a laugh while having a few beers in the evening. 

Example:

Ozzie: "Where are you from mate"

Me: "England"

Ozzie: "Never mind"

Ozzie: "There are lots of winging poms in Oz"

Me: "Listen, I would moan for the rest of my life if I had leave a great place like England and live in a dessert at the arse end of the world".

Then we laugh.

Edited by JamesR
typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fluke said:

The virus will now become widespread , due to the lack of vaccinations and also vaccinations do not prevent you from acquiring the virus  , so the 18 month closures would have just delayed the onset .

I am odff the opinion that the World should have just carried on as normal as all the closures have had a worse effect on peoples lives than the virus . 

Had there been no casualties, then it may have been worth it , but millions have died anyway even with all the measures taken 

My initial response to your post @Fluke was to reply in much the same way as a few others. I’m really interested to understand your point more. This debate about lockdowns working or not and vaccines not protecting you etc are interesting; not just in the context of Covid, but in the wider issues we face in society. 

Let me lay my cards on the table and state where my starting position is:

I see it as an unrefutable total fact that the vaccines work.  They don’t work as amateurs (and many politicians) hoped they would by stopping you catching the virus. But they work by reducing severe symptoms and death as virologists expected them to. Therefore, they work as expected. Fact. 100% fact. 

Similarly, lockdowns were never thought to irradiate Covid from society. They were only ever meant to reduce the rate of transmission, and allow health systems to function with existing capacity and buy time to develop vaccines. Again, many amateurs and politicians perhaps hoped it would kill Covid off, but that was not the aim. Lockdowns have worked in the way virologists expected and wanted them to. Cases go up. You lockdown and cases stabilise and fall. In other words they 100% work. It’s a hard fact they work. They do exactly what it says “on the tin”. If the debate is that lockdowns damage the economy more and in the long run do more harm to society overall than the savings lockdown provide to the individual, then you should say that. That’s a debate worth having. But stating lockdowns don’t work is like saying a car can’t fly and so it’s no good. Cars were never meant to fly! 

So my question is not so much just about the above. But more what makes an intelligent thinking person with worldly experiences and not in their first flush of youth, see it so differently? I am literally fascinated by it, Although I’ll admit it to being frustrated by it also. 

Clearly you don’t have to explain yourself to me or anyone else on this forum. However, it would be an interesting debate. 

Thanks 

Low-risk countries , what kind of statistics has the decision makers in Thailand used for this kind of statement.
Here are some numbers from John Hopkins from today

So according to Thailand LOW RISK is:
China - no-body knows the real statistics .
USA- Infection level 470 /100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks , Rank 30 of 187 countries in terms of infections.
UK- Infection level 580 /100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks, Rank 14 of 187 countries in terms of infections.
DE- Infection level 167 /100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks, Rank 65 of 187 countries in terms of infections.

Thailand : 245 / 100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks ( officially) , Rank 51 of 187 countries in terms of infections.

Non LOW RISK according to Thailand:
Sweden  Infection level 82/100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks / Rank 92 of 187 countries
Norway  Infection level 132/100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks / Rank 73 of 187 countries.
Spain  Infection level 60/100.000 citizens the last 2 weeks / Rank 105 of 187 countries.
and it goes on.

I do hope more countries gets on the 'Low-risk' list soon. It is still a lot to be done to ease the restrictions in travel for vaccinated tourists in this country.

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

... is like saying a car can’t fly and so it’s no good...

I've been wondering for ages!! You could have told me sooner! 🤬🤬

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I've been wondering for ages!! You could have told me sooner! 🤬🤬

soy-dog is like that, he can be a little bit selfish sometimes. 🤣

On a related story, I was on one of my flying lessons on my short finals ready to land the plane and I nearly hit a car as I was too low, that would have made the car fly. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

On a related story, I was on one of my flying lessons on my short finals ready to land the plane and I nearly hit a car as I was too low, that would have made the car fly. LOL

How low were you flying? Were the VASI's green? (did the light filter through the grass?)

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Was the car on a double decker car transporter 😂😂

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

My initial response to your post @Fluke was to reply in much the same way as a few others. I’m really interested to understand your point more. This debate about lockdowns working or not and vaccines not protecting you etc are interesting; not just in the context of Covid, but in the wider issues we face in society. 

Let me lay my cards on the table and state where my starting position is:

I see it as an unrefutable total fact that the vaccines work.  They don’t work as amateurs (and many politicians) hoped they would by stopping you catching the virus. But they work by reducing severe symptoms and death as virologists expected them to. Therefore, they work as expected. Fact. 100% fact. 

Similarly, lockdowns were never thought to irradiate Covid from society. They were only ever meant to reduce the rate of transmission, and allow health systems to function with existing capacity and buy time to develop vaccines. Again, many amateurs and politicians perhaps hoped it would kill Covid off, but that was not the aim. Lockdowns have worked in the way virologists expected and wanted them to. Cases go up. You lockdown and cases stabilise and fall. In other words they 100% work. It’s a hard fact they work. They do exactly what it says “on the tin”. If the debate is that lockdowns damage the economy more and in the long run do more harm to society overall than the savings lockdown provide to the individual, then you should say that. That’s a debate worth having. But stating lockdowns don’t work is like saying a car can’t fly and so it’s no good. Cars were never meant to fly! 

So my question is not so much just about the above. But more what makes an intelligent thinking person with worldly experiences and not in their first flush of youth, see it so differently? I am literally fascinated by it, Although I’ll admit it to being frustrated by it also. 

Clearly you don’t have to explain yourself to me or anyone else on this forum. However, it would be an interesting debate. 

Thanks 

I am not accusing anyone in particular of this but I think in many cases many people suffer from what I call spoilt kid syndrome.

When I was a kid and could not play outside (as we did all day long in those times) because it was raining heavily, I used to think it was not fair and I would sulk for while.

I think a lot of people suffer from the syndrome into adulthood and so if they can not go for a beer when they want, or go to a restaurant etc because of a lockdown it is deemed not fair to them and they will ignore solid logical facts as you have just written as they just want to do what they want to do when they like. 

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I am not accusing anyone in particular of this but I think in many cases many people suffer from what I call spoilt kid syndrome.

When I was a kid and could not play outside (as we did all day long in those times) because it was raining heavily, I used to think it was not fair and I would sulk for while.

I think a lot of people suffer from the syndrome into adulthood and so if they can not go for a beer when they want, or go to a restaurant etc because of a lockdown it is deemed not fair to them and they will ignore solid logical facts as you have just written as they just want to do what they want to do when they like. 

In that case maybe they haven't reached adulthood yet despite age?

BTW it's nice here, wanna come play outside? 🤣

Just now, JamesR said:

Well that could be true. I guess we all like our freedoms but as a member of society we are taught to limit those feelings. I can understand that feeling some will have of wanting this to be over and move on with life. What I can’t understand is why, as you say,  people choose to ignore solid facts simply to justify their feelings. 

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Was the car on a double decker car transporter 😂😂

Funnily it was a saloon car, it was driving around the bend on the road which extended around the runway.

The height and angle of decent I was currently at would have caused me to hit the plane in about fifteen seconds time.

The instructor casually said, "I think you might be a little bit too low", over the headphones. 

As I had the plane in trim for landing all I had to do was increase the engine speed which made me quickly gain height, so I flew over the car and landed on the runway.

You should have seen the terrified expression on the car drivers face, we both just laughed.

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Well that could be true. I guess we all like our freedoms but as a member of society we are taught to limit those feelings. I can understand that feeling some will have of wanting this to be over and move on with life. What I can’t understand is why, as you say,  people choose to ignore solid facts simply to justify their feelings. 

If you've dealt with the general public on a daily basis for decades, you'll understand that simply not everyone is reasonable and rational. 

12 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

How low were you flying? Were the VASI's green? (did the light filter through the grass?)

I was still at 75 feet but my angle of decent would have caused me to hit the car in about fifteen seconds time.

No VASI's

Just now, JamesR said:

I do think that you are referring to me and it  is rather condescending to compare me to a spoilt kid who cannot go out and play football when its raining and is sulking .

Its actually yourself who is comparing the 18 month of children suffering from the effects of Covid with yourself who had to stay in when its raining .  

Children whose parents cannot work and who have left their city school and friends and left the developed cities  and have gone back to their primitive villages for the last 18 months and the kids who have been receiving a substandard education on line .

The teenagers who were attending university and working part-time , have now found themselves stuck at home in isolation watching videos all day , which has had a detrimental effect on their health and development 

The people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods and are now living and sleeping on the streets begging for food .

Those are the people whom I have sympathy for , and its rather rude of you to suggest that I am immature and selfish and just want the bars to open .

The younger generation have suffered terribly for a virus that doesn't effect them , just to keep the older people a bit more safer than if there were no restrictions in place  

27 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

In that case maybe they haven't reached adulthood yet despite age?

BTW it's nice here, wanna come play outside? 🤣

As long as you know it is my bat and ball and therefore I make up the rules of the game. 

4 minutes ago, JamesR said:

As long as you know it is my bat and ball and therefore I make up the rules of the game. 

I'm gonna tell my mum! 

images (52).jpeg

8 hours ago, Bob20 said:

If we would have carried on as "normal" we would not have had 5 million dead, but more than 500 million. And not an estimated 80 million with long covid but more than a billion.

The world's health services would have completely ground to a halt, with many more dying of other problems because every hospital was full. And not a couple of people dying in the streets of Bangkok, but scores every day.

Fortunately we had some people with knowledge that had better ideas. But unfortunately we had politicians who watered down their expert advice so that we didn't limit it more.

What are you basing your estimate on. If it was from an article let us know so we can read it. If you are just dreaming it up you'd be better keeping it to yourself. There is to much said that isn't based on fact.

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I do think that you are referring to me and it  is rather condescending to compare me to a spoilt kid who cannot go out and play football when its raining and is sulking .

Its actually yourself who is comparing the 18 month of children suffering from the effects of Covid with yourself who had to stay in when its raining .  

Children whose parents cannot work and who have left their city school and friends and left the developed cities  and have gone back to their primitive villages for the last 18 months and the kids who have been receiving a substandard education on line .

The teenagers who were attending university and working part-time , have now found themselves stuck at home in isolation watching videos all day , which has had a detrimental effect on their health and development 

The people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods and are now living and sleeping on the streets begging for food .

Those are the people whom I have sympathy for , and its rather rude of you to suggest that I am immature and selfish and just want the bars to open .

The younger generation have suffered terribly for a virus that doesn't effect them , just to keep the older people a bit more safer than if there were no restrictions in place  

They would suffer more if the society was open and the kids parents were dying from catching the virus.

You make it sound like the whole of Thailand is starving, it is not a fact.

"The people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods and are now living and sleeping on the streets begging for food ."

I think you should say  "Some of the people who have lost their jobs and livelihoods and are now living and sleeping on the streets begging for food ."

"The teenagers who were attending university and working part-time , have now found themselves stuck at home in isolation watching videos all day , which has had a detrimental effect on their health and development "

They would find it a lot more detrimental if their families were dying around them due to catching the virus plus if they are sitting at home just playing video games then they would anyway without the lockdowns, there is such a thing as the internet and books etc.

There would be a lot more people losing their jobs as factories, suppliers, hospitals were overrun with virus cases if there were no controls. 

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

• Like 2