News Forum - Thailand to lift quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries

Thaiger

11 hours ago, kmc said:

all countries are low risk...covid is the biggest bs in the history of mankind.  the median age of death is greater than the average life expectancy.  when considering life years lost- more life years have been lost to suicide and will be lost to the ravages of substance-abuse induced by the lockdowns than covid 19.  wake up lemmings.

How many suicides related to Covid have been recorded ? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LuckyStrike said:

Totally agree. 

look at Sweden for inspiration

Yes, the worst performing of the Scandinavian countries. Well done Sweden 

• Like 6

Very promising news, and the BBC reported it as well. Once is is in the Royal Gazette we can celebrate !  As mentioned in another thread, I'm booked around Christmas time and I booked that ticket back in June I think it was. I try to be an optimist...  But Covid is so unpredictable, the arrival of another new strain could change everything.  I was prepared to do 14 days quarantine but I was certain in my own mind that they'd probably halve it by then. I did not expect them to get rid of it altogether, even if just for certain countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atiger said:

Is Prayut Chan-o-cha a buffalo or what?

How is the United States a low risk country with up to 200,000 cases per day?

In NSW Australia, there's less than 500 cases per day with nearly 80% fully vaxxed and more than 90% single vaxxed but Australia is not on the low risk country list.

It all depends on "low risk" for what. They took the average spend per visitor, multiplied it by the projected number of visitors and came to the realization that those countries on the list have a lower risk of not spending much more than countries not on the list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

How many suicides related to Covid have been recorded ? 

Shhhhhhh..... don't mess with their narrative.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I don’t think they mean just alcohol. They mean while having the attention of a women half your age or younger. You can’t get that back home for the price of a lady drink. 

"Alcohol", "drinks with dinner", and "entertainment venues" are all code for the same thing.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

It all depends on "low risk" for what. They took the average spend per visitor, multiplied it by the projected number of visitors and came to the realization that those countries on the list have a lower risk of not spending much more than countries not on the list.

You absolutely right,  so my country is not on the list ☹️

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Very promising news, and the BBC reported it as well. Once is is in the Royal Gazette we can celebrate !  As mentioned in another thread, I'm booked around Christmas time and I booked that ticket back in June I think it was. I try to be an optimist...  But Covid is so unpredictable, the arrival of another new strain could change everything.  I was prepared to do 14 days quarantine but I was certain in my own mind that they'd probably halve it by then. I did not expect them to get rid of it altogether, even if just for certain countries.

Agree this is really good news and a step forward to normalcy. However, this appear to be only a one way ticket to avoid quarantine, it is not an arranged travel bubble or reciprocal travel lanes. Coming back home country will be subjected to quarantine.

22 hours ago, Fluke said:

So the last 18 months of being closed and curfews were all a waste of time and unnecessary ?

No, they did wonders for authoritarians around the world in conditioning the peasants to accept lockdowns ( a prison term btw ) and a loss of civil liberties...it also made a lot of wealthy individuals and corporations far more powerful and rich.

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Shhhhhhh..... don't mess with their narrative.

Are you saying that this has not happened? Do you forget about the young female singer who leaped to her death, what about the lady that jumped from the BTS after a positive test got her fired from her job?

Do you ever watch the Thai local news? Do you see what family members are doing to their own once they have tested positive?? Literally they are shunned or sent outside to live like they are a leper.

3 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Are you saying that this has not happened? Do you forget about the young female singer who leaped to her death, what about the lady that jumped from the BTS after a positive test got her fired from her job?

Do you ever watch the Thai local news? Do you see what family members are doing to their own once they have tested positive?? Literally they are shunned or sent outside to live like they are a leper.

@kmc said "more life years have been lost to suicide and will be lost to the ravages of substance-abuse induced by the lockdowns than covid 19." You quote two (admittedly tragic) suicides. The narrative presented - that the cure is worse than the disease - is frequently relied on as an argument against social measures - like lockdowns. While there are definitely some people who respond this way - resorting to death or drugs - the overarching claim that "more life-years will be lost" has not been documented.

"Thai local news" are you kidding? News anywhere lives by the motto: "If it bleeds it leads". Any news outlet will always cherry pick the most horrible, heart-rending stories to capture the most eyeballs and sell the most ads. I don't know why Thailand would not. And, again, while not disputing that such things happen, if this were a widespread practice the streets should be choked with outcasts.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Hard to fix stupid.

Many didn't want the vaccine because they thought China had a put a thought controlling substance in the Sinovac..............if only!

I noticed a lot of hiso Thais were first in the queue fir vaccination.

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, the worst performing of the Scandinavian countries. Well done Sweden 

Yet better than the USA and the UK (deaths per million) without mask mandates or lockdowns. 

7 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

As for including the UK as a low-risk country in the first place is mind-boggling. Another 38,520 new infections today and 181 deaths is hardly low-risk

For getting tourism ฿, UK has been "low risk" for the Thais since the begining even though it was on the red list of their own Department of Disease Control. These Romans must be crazy...😆

1) UK politicians asking for new restrictions.

2) UK public asking for an enquiry as to why lockdowns were started too late

They won't make the same mistake again, ergo, new restrictions coming sooner rather than later.

These 5 countries are not low risk countries, but these countries "provide" wealthy tourists with money that are welcome in Thailand.

Low risk countries according to thai gov: UK - 40K new cases and 150 deaths per day, US-100K new cases and 2000 deaths per day

8 hours ago, MikeV said:

Seems silly to fly half way around the world only for alcohol. I can be a drunk at home.

Yep I agree but many do only come here to sit in a bar

On 10/12/2021 at 3:04 AM, Fluke said:

So the last 18 months of being closed and curfews were all a waste of time and unnecessary ?

No, the time was used to get people in Bangkok, Phuket and other tourist areas vaccinated, that is where the tourist money is made. 

The rest of the population living in villages and smaller towns can just die without being noticed or recorded it seems. 

Money first, people second and by magic once the doors are fully open the virus numbers will drop. 

20 hours ago, kmc said:

all countries are low risk...covid is the biggest bs in the history of mankind.  the median age of death is greater than the average life expectancy.  when considering life years lost- more life years have been lost to suicide and will be lost to the ravages of substance-abuse induced by the lockdowns than covid 19.  wake up lemmings.

Am I missing something here? Presumably we're talking about Thailand and, agreed, some suicides will be related to Covid. However, suicides have always been with us and, for whatever sad reasons, they always will. We need to separate "Covid related" suicides from all the others then add Covid "induced" deaths from substance abuse before we can make unsupported claims like kmc's. With documented deaths from Covid in Thailand now standing at around 4.5 million kmc's claims just don't stack up.

11 hours ago, atiger said:

Is Prayut Chan-o-cha a buffalo or what?

How is the United States a low risk country with up to 200,000 cases per day?

In NSW Australia, there's less than 500 cases per day with nearly 80% fully vaxxed and more than 90% single vaxxed but Australia is not on the low risk country list.

Because there are only 500 Australians left in Australia , the rest have emigrated to the west where they have more opportunity. 😀

Thus proportionally you have a higher rate of infections compared to the USA.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dicko said:

Am I missing something here? Presumably we're talking about Thailand and, agreed, some suicides will be related to Covid. However, suicides have always been with us and, for whatever sad reasons, they always will. We need to separate "Covid related" suicides from all the others then add Covid "induced" deaths from substance abuse before we can make unsupported claims like kmc's. With documented deaths from Covid in Thailand now standing at around 4.5 million kmc's claims just don't stack up.

Ooooops! My bad - Total deaths from Covid was around 17,750 about 11 hours ago but I still stand by my argument.

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

You confuse me! First you suggest lockdowns and restrictions don’t work. Then you use them to say Thailand was rated top 3 or 4 in the world. Can you be clear what it is you are supporting?

Lockdowns equal low number of cases. Yes or No?

Lockdowns don’t work. Yes or No? 

Lockdowns do work and the statistics show it. But as Rain said the numbers went through the root. In short they work as well as possible when public servants (police and border security) hold off on taking bribes from fancy Thonglor Entertainment venues,  gambling dens and illegal workers crossing the border en masse.

What happened Soidog is enforced and regulated lockdowns went Teddy Bears picnic as those responsible could not honour theirs duties.

Just now, mickkotlarski said:

Lockdowns do work and the statistics show it. But as Rain said the numbers went through the root. In short they work as well as possible when public servants (police and border security) hold off on taking bribes from fancy Thonglor Entertainment venues,  gambling dens and illegal workers crossing the border en masse.

What happened Soidog is enforced and regulated lockdowns went Teddy Bears picnic as those responsible could not honour theirs duties.

Spelling correction...roof not root. Sorry folks.

1 hour ago, stapoz said:

These 5 countries are not low risk countries, but these countries "provide" wealthy tourists with money that are welcome in Thailand.

Low risk countries according to thai gov: UK - 40K new cases and 150 deaths per day, US-100K new cases and 2000 deaths per day

The more you test per day, the more new cases you are likely to identify. The UK performs at least 800,000 tests per day. Compare that with Thailand, along with their respective vaccination programmes. The UK has already started its booster programme, approx 2.5 million administered already.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:09 AM, Rip255 said:

And not a moment too soon either.

Why are people starving while old boys living on retirement pensions go vaccine shopping. 

Get high quality foreigners in....and dont encourage the barflys to return by keeping nightlife closed. 

Good policy that will help transform the tourism industry and repair its damaged reputation.

More families spending money at Safari world. More wealthy housewives buying gold and diamonds. And less zero shower drunks stinking up the joint 

Thank you vicar 

• Haha 1