News Forum - Thailand to lift quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries

Thaiger

From November 1, fully vaccinated tourists from at least 10 “low-risk” countries will be allowed enter Thailand without quarantine. According to a Bangkok Post report, the proposal was confirmed by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha in a televised address last night. “The time has come for us to ready ourselves to face the coronavirus and live with it as with other endemic infections and diseases, much as we have learnt to live with other diseases with treatments and vaccinations. Today, I would like to announce the first small but important step in decisively beginning the process of trying to restore our livelihoods.” […]

The story Thailand to lift quarantine for vaccinated tourists from low-risk countries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"The PM says he has asked the Public Health Ministry and the CCSA to consider allowing fully vaccinated tourists to enter Thailand without quarantine from November 1. Although nothing has been written in stone yet, CCSA meetings are chaired by the PM, meaning the approval request is likely to be a formality."

I think that I understand this.

Thailand will re-open on November 1st if necessary, but won't necessarily re-open on November 1st.

Yes, I have lived in Thailand too long...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“The time has come for us to ready ourselves to face the coronavirus and live with it

So the last 18 months of being closed and curfews were all a waste of time and unnecessary ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And not a moment too soon either.

Why are people starving while old boys living on retirement pensions go vaccine shopping. 

Get high quality foreigners in....and dont encourage the barflys to return by keeping nightlife closed. 

Good policy that will help transform the tourism industry and repair its damaged reputation.

More families spending money at Safari world. More wealthy housewives buying gold and diamonds. And less zero shower drunks stinking up the joint 

Edited by Rip255
Spelling
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fluke said:

So the last 18 months of being closed and curfews were all a waste of time and unnecessary ?

No.

The last 18 months of restrictions were necessary to protect Thailand, but weren't necessarily needed to protect Thailand.

See?

Again, yes, I have lived in Thailand too long...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our illustrious leader said last night:

46 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Today, I would like to announce the first small but important step in decisively beginning the process of trying to restore our livelihoods.

'restore our livelihoods'   Now isn't that an acknowledgement of just how important tourism is - i.e. bringing foreign currency into the country.
How come so many people - tourists and expats alike - often don't feel appreciated with some of the draconian restrictions often imposed.

Ignoring colour, it reminds me of that often used phrase in westerns about cowboys and Indians: "White man speak with forked tongue."

• Like 3

And to welcome tourists, let's see how to take every penning from them so THB needs to starts flying high again, as it has since the announcement.

Yes FX market is; supply and demand, just as stocks [and crypto]....insider trading....

“Once they receive a negative result, they would be free to travel wherever they like.” - basically the entire country is open. Don’t see a reason to go before December 1st, but that’s just me. 

• Like 3

Opening bars and clubs is not a good idea. They did that here in Holland, only for vaccinated people. Within 2 weeks after the re-opening we went from under 500 cases a day to over 12.000 cases a day. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Not really. Largely profitable for a number of interests and groups the world over. Plus the subliminal regaining suppressive control over their respective populations. 

The Covid Era in a nutshell. 

12 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Great news, high risk country will allow tourists from low risk countries to enter!

Yet, if one looks at the comparatives - Thailand doesn't belong within this category as some more developed cultures, whom are still experiencing chaotic numbers and societal mismanagement, yet are allowing most anyone in with the least caution protocols in place. 

It's interesting that earlier this year people were screaming out for the government to open the boarders.....Now they are opening the borders and people are screaming out for the borders to stay closed.....  Although, it's also interesting that the government is courting low risk countries. There was a time when Thailand was a low risk country...but not anymore... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fluke said:

Honestly, I would say yes… it has been a waste of time and money. The restrictions never could eliminate the spread of the virus. The leaders in every nation over reacted to the Covid virus. The fear of being seen as the political leader that did nothing outweighs a rational response to the situation. 
The Covid situation needed dealt with (It is a serious issue), but everyone running around making up inconsistent rules is proof of their incompetence. They would rather be seen as doing something, that was worthless, than be perceived as acting to slowly.
I would rather have an ounce of reason and logic to a pound of “mindless actions”. 
So yes a lot of wasted time. Not only in Thailand but around the world.

Edited by Wormwood
Typo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's interesting that earlier this year people were screaming out for the government to open the boarders.....Now they are opening the borders and people are screaming out for the borders to stay closed.....  Although, it's also interesting that the government is courting low risk countries. There was a time when Thailand was a low risk country...but not anymore... 

Indeed. For a year [pre-mass vaccine era], Thailand was rated top 3 or 4 in the world for very low risk. Societally, seemed to be handling it extremely well. Then.....April of this year the bottom fell out. A combination of weariness and indifference to protocol practice coupled with Delta and the mangled and mismanaged early vaccine program - all went to sh*t.

lol .......strange to not see Australia as # 1 as we have the most important rate of vaccination and full control of covid spread ......this sounds as an other smoke and mirror i reckon. this said tes before to go test on arrival ........ i ll wait all restriction be lifted, and of course see how it goes after few months ;) no sweat can wait lol

• Like 1

all countries are low risk...covid is the biggest bs in the history of mankind.  the median age of death is greater than the average life expectancy.  when considering life years lost- more life years have been lost to suicide and will be lost to the ravages of substance-abuse induced by the lockdowns than covid 19.  wake up lemmings.

Edited by kmc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kmc said:

all countries are low risk...covid is the biggest bs in the history of mankind.  the median age of death is greater than the average life expectancy.  when considering life years lost- more life years have been lost to suicide and will be lost to the ravages of substance-abuse induced by the lockdowns than covid 19.  wake up lemmings.

Totally agree. 

look at Sweden for inspiration

Edited by LuckyStrike
sweden
  • Like 1

Isn't this exciting! Prayut says 10 countries don't need to quarantine from the 1st of November, and then only lists 5 of them! We have booked for the 11th of November but remain none the wiser.

It's great if you live in the UK, US, China, Singapore and Germany because you have been informed of your future travel arrangements and can steam ahead, but what about the rest of us? I am hoping the Netherlands is also included in the top ten "low-risk Country list" but who really knows? I guess not even the PM himself knows, until he addresses the CCSA as their chairman later this week.

As for including the UK as a low-risk country in the first place is mind-boggling. Another 38,520 new infections today and 181 deaths is hardly low-risk, and it is still listed over here as a red-zone country. It almost makes Thailand look safe! We were back in the UK 2 weeks ago, and we had to undergo another antigen test at the airport, before we boarded our plane. Almost missed the flight because of it!

16 hours ago, Paco said:

They can come on November 1.. but no alcohol until December 1 that means many people still do not come....

Seems silly to fly half way around the world only for alcohol. I can be a drunk at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Fluke said:

No. It controlled the spread of the virus resulting in far fewer deaths than what would have happened until vaccines became available. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rain said:

Indeed. For a year [pre-mass vaccine era], Thailand was rated top 3 or 4 in the world for very low risk. Societally, seemed to be handling it extremely well. Then.....April of this year the bottom fell out. A combination of weariness and indifference to protocol practice coupled with Delta and the mangled and mismanaged early vaccine program - all went to sh*t.

You confuse me! First you suggest lockdowns and restrictions don’t work. Then you use them to say Thailand was rated top 3 or 4 in the world. Can you be clear what it is you are supporting?

Lockdowns equal low number of cases. Yes or No?

Lockdowns don’t work. Yes or No? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MikeV said:

Seems silly to fly half way around the world only for alcohol. I can be a drunk at home.

I don’t think they mean just alcohol. They mean while having the attention of a women half your age or younger. You can’t get that back home for the price of a lady drink. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2