News Forum - BREAKING: Vaccinated travellers from 10 countries allowed to enter without quarantine starting November 1

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Perhaps some of us are just more accepting of general people regardless of where they come from and hope they get the opportunity to travel and visit countries when restrictions imposed by Governments are lifted.

It is sad that some seem indoctrinated into a single viewpoint and perhaps having a belief structure that includes being taught to project it at all costs. Perhaps if given the good fortune and richness to see and understand other cultures, they may be given a chance to display less of a one sided viewpoint.

No single culture offers everything, nor does one offer nothing. 

We live in hope. Well some of us do, anyway. Unfortunately it seems ingrained in some 'cultures.'

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is funny to see that even though it is just words that have been spoken and yet nothing set in concrete that it has effected the exchange rates.

1.00 US Dollar =

33.469436 Thai Baht

while yesterday before he spoke the exchange rate was 1.00 US Dollar to 33.86 Thb, a drop of almost a half of a baht per USD, or 500Thb less for every 1k exchanged.

Give it a couple weeks to kick in. 

Expecting as such - it's manipulated.

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Sorry  my bad. 

Thanks - a lot more than many here are capable of, so my respect for that.

3 minutes ago, palooka said:

Are the Chinese allowed out now to play?

No, still no group tours, and mandatory quarantine on return.

A 'bubble' could be a possibility though ... maybe in return for buying some more Sinovac ... 😕

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agreed, as I've said several times.

The problem, as I've tried to explain several times as have several others, isn't the individual foreign tourists spreading Covid (although obviously they're no less likely to than anyone else) but the TOURISM they bring with them and need: bars, nightlife, travel, relaxed rules on masks and social distancing, etc.

Everything that's directly responsible for the spread of Covid.

What part of that don't you agree with or understand?

That's not being argumentative but a genuine question, as you either don't understand or you don't accept it, and I genuinely can't understand why not.

Live with Covid, or surrender to Covid.

Looks like you have raised your white flag.

4 hours ago, Leeshard said:

So unvaxed Thai’s still live amongst other unvaxed Thai’s. Suddenly a fully vaxed up, negative PCR tested tourist arrives. I fail to see how that poses an additional risk of spreading covid-19. But I’m open to suggestions.

Why then have the borders been closed to fully vaxed tourists, with Sand boxes etc and all the hoops not only here but worldwide. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

UK

Really?  The UK and Thailand have similar economies, are in a similar geographical location, and are in a similar situation with Covid, etc?

I'm beginning to understand why your comments are as informed and accurate as they are ... or not.

I fail to see why this (Pm's announcement) is so sensational. It is very similar to the sandbox option - vaccinated people can enter Thailand. The announcement does not say anything about the dreaded COE, any other types of visas, which have been dangled on and off for ages, and SHA+ requirements. Also most of Europe is low-risk - why mention just a couple of places?  Or is it the number and trends of potential tourists that dictate whether a country is low risk or not? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

No, I agree 100% on living with Covid.

You seem to have gone for a third option, though - not living with it or surrendering to it, but just ignoring it.

If that's your only solution then at least have the courage of your convictions to say so instead of coming out with these childish sound-bites.

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is funny to see that even though it is just words that have been spoken and yet nothing set in concrete that it has effected the exchange rates.

1.00 US Dollar =

33.469436 Thai Baht

while yesterday before he spoke the exchange rate was 1.00 US Dollar to 33.86 Thb, a drop of almost a half of a baht per USD, or 500Thb less for every 1k exchanged.

I agree. It shows just how fickle and dangerous traders are to financial stability. The same is true when the US Fed even “hint” at raising interest rates. You do have to wonder if any of these people place a bet or two ahead of their comments? What am I saying. That’s not allowed is it😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, palooka said:

Why then have the borders been closed to fully vaxed tourists, with Sand boxes etc and all the hoops not only here but worldwide. 

I think you're wasting your time with the likes of @Leeshard and @longwood50, @palooka.

They're evidently either not interested or not capable of any form of rational discussion, and won't or can't answer any question you put, so it's just feeding the trolls.

19 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I think it’s a case of Contain Covid until you have a well vaccinated population. Then live with Covid as we do other such virus.   The debate is when is it ok to live with it. My view is Thailand is still 2 to 3 months away. Unfortunately, high season is about to start in 2 weeks time and that is forcing their hand. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think it’s a case of Contain Covid until you have a well vaccinated population. Then live with Covid as we do other such virus.   The debate is when is it ok to live with it. My view is Thailand is still 2 to 3 months away. Unfortunately, high season is about to start in 2 weeks time and that is forcing their hand. 

I agree with your assessment.

A calculated risk that can have an element of control.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, I agree 100% on living with Covid.

You seem to have gone for a third option, though - not living with it or surrendering to it, but just ignoring it.

If that's your only solution then at least have the courage of your convictions to say so instead of coming out with these childish sound-bites.

Certainly not.....we agree essentially on the principle - just differ on the application.

Get on with life as Thais (and expats) have been doing around my way.

My option is living with Covid in a similar way to the UK when they opened. Numerically, the only difference is the vaccinations. However, that is counter-acted by a far sparser spread of a similar population. 

Visiting Thailand the risk is higher for the visitor contracting Covid than communicating it.

Do what Thais should be doing now - protect the vulnerable (if not already fully vaccinated), practice social distancing etc and impose local control. If Loei is not ready for visitors (domestic or international) then set some controls - hotels in Korat insist on a vaccination certificate for example.

In tourist areas (or those areas that want to attract visitors) insist on all employees being double vaxxed).

11 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I agree with your assessment.

A calculated risk that can have an element of control.

That's why they're proceeding cautiously and limiting entry. 

It's really not a helter skelter plan as some are making it out to be.

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

Poor dears having to suffer an "uncomfortable bus ride".

How about the two thirds of the Thai population who have yet to be fully vaccinated and have no chance of being fully vaccinated until next year?

Or don't they matter as long as the tourists are happy?

Its not us the Tourists fault that the Thai population has had a poor vaccine roll out blame there government not us Stonker.

42 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I think you're wasting your time with the likes of @Leeshard and @longwood50, @palooka.

They're evidently either not interested or not capable of any form of rational discussion, and won't or can't answer any question you put, so it's just feeding the trolls.

Devastated that I'm included on that list. Oh well broad shoulders etc. lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TV7 said:

So, all the complainers, the computer bots, the negative people, basically 95% of this forum, needs to find a new activity during their days now! Complaining time is over, back to normal. Ooohhh wait, I still see them complaining about paying for a test, or it's only ten countries, or this must go wrong; otherwise, this country will get tourists again, and that means life goes back to normal and I cannot handle normal after living for 1,5 years behind my computer. Get a life, be happy with this announcement. Go for a walk, do something productive for your neighbour, success Thailand, great news!

We have every right to ask questions TV7 I'm from the UK and its a 13+ hour flight I dont want to turn up tired jet lagged then go through all there stupid tests and i don't want to fly that long to go where there is nothing at the end of it. Iv'e spent a lot of money before iv'e even left the Airport. I want to go out have a few beers have a nice Thai meal and start my well earned Holiday. Not stuck in a prison cell for 7 or more day's holed up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

A 'bubble' could be a possibility though ... maybe in return for buying some more Sinovac ... 😕

No more Sinovac PLEASE the locals here are getting doubles and we know it isn't good, plus being rural most are elderly. I know some areas are getting no vacs at all, so something is better than nothing but.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Certainly not.....we agree essentially on the principle - just differ on the application.

No, we disagree over virtually every point you make! 😂

Get on with life as Thais (and expats) have been doing around my way

But that's impossible - around your way, apparently everyone that want's to be vaccinated has been.

In most of the rest of Thailand none have been except for a limited few government staff and their families and the old and ill.

My option is living with Covid in a similar way to the UK when they opened. Numerically, the only difference is the vaccinations

But nothing is "similar"! Nothing!

The difference in the number of vaccinations is pretty big to just ignore - 67% fully vaccinated vs 33%!!! 😂

... and that's ignoring all the other factors completely ...

However, that is counter-acted by a far sparser spread of a similar population

Counteracted???

Hardly. The UK has twice the population density of Thailand, but Thailand has twice the density of Scotland and a similar density to Wales, and the Covid stats in the UK don't directly reflect that, which negates that argument.

Visiting Thailand the risk is higher for the visitor contracting Covid than communicating it.

True, but meaningless.

If a vaccinated visitor contracts Covid they'll probably be asymptomatic, not tested, and just continue their holiday as if it hadn't happened.

If an unvaccinated Thai contracts Covid, though, whether communicated from a tourist or anyone else, they'll probably be symptomatic, tested, quarantined, and at best lose time off work and at worst be hospitalised or die.

Who has the greater risk?

Do what Thais should be doing now - protect the vulnerable (if not already fully vaccinated).

But they can't!

It's impossible!

At least a third of the population are clinically vulnerable (age, obese, medical conditions, pregnant, etc) so the only way of protecting them is to vaccinate them - but Thailand can't do that as they stuffed up the vaccine procurement, and even if effective vaccines magically appeared overnight it would still take three months to get them all fully vaccinated.

Harry Potter's on his holidays.

Practice social distancing etc and impose local control.

How?

Put vigilantes on the street corners shooting anyone who isn't a local?Chiang Mai, Loei and all the other similar places aren't islands, like Phuket where access can be controlled.

It's the government's job to make and enforce laws, not the locals'.

If Loei is not ready for visitors (domestic or international) then set some controls - hotels in Korat insist on a vaccination certificate for example.

FFS!

Can't you see the difference between controlling access to a hotel and to a province?

Not just legally but practically?

In tourist areas (or those areas that want to attract visitors) insist on all employees being double vaxxed).

"Insist" how???

Even if the vaccines were here, which they're not, it would still take three months for everyone to be double dosed.

... and a big part of the problem and why some places don't have vaccines for those that need them is that other places like Phuket and Buri Ram "insisted" for those who don't need them.

I appreciate that you've tried to justify your argument and your POV, which is more than others can do, but what you're saying is simply impossible.

That isn't defeatist, but just realistic - you can't magic up vaccines and ignore time, and the only solution is vaccination.

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Devastated that I'm included on that list. Oh well broad shoulders etc. lol

NO, you're NOT "included", quite the reverse!

The comment was addressed to you, it didn't include you!!!

Sorry if it appeared that way. 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Its not us the Tourists fault that the Thai population has had a poor vaccine roll out blame there government not us Stonker.

I'm not suggesting that it's "the tourists' fault", and I'm 100% blaming "the government" - all I'm saying is that because the government stuffed up so the tourists have to wait.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:14 AM, Stonker said:

The problem, as I've tried to explain several times as have several others, isn't the individual foreign tourists spreading Covid (although obviously they're no less likely to than anyone else) but the TOURISM they bring with them and need: bars, nightlife, travel, relaxed rules on masks and social distancing, etc.

Yes, it is those evil tourists sitting at open air bars 3 meters from each other, dining at tables 3 feet from each other.   Far better to be next to an unvaccinated Thai on a BTS train, a baht bus or in Makro check out lane.  We all know that the tourists and not the unvaccinated Thais bunched together like sardines are the super spreaders.

image.png.be5baddd5945ca83045ee1479309c34f.png

image.png

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

Yes, it is those evil tourists sitting at open air bars 3 meters from each other, dining at tables 3 feet from each other.   Far better to be next to an unvaccinated Thai on a BTS train, a baht bus or in Makro check out lane.  We all know that the tourists and not the unvaccinated Thais bunched together like sardines are the super spreaders.

image.png

Nope, it's both locals and foreigners and by vaccinated and unvaccinated. Close proximity to catch and movement to spread the virus. That's why restrictions should not be lifted until many more have had a chance of vaccination (=protection).

Anything else is a guarantee for disaster.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, longwood50 said:

image.png

I'm tempted to say "un-B-frigging-lievable", but sadly it isn't.

I write that "the problem ... isn't the individual foreign tourists spreading Covid ... but the TOURISM they bring with them and need: bars, nightlife, travel, relaxed rules on masks and social distancing, etc.",

making it clear enough so a retarded three year old with ADD could understand that in my view the tourists themselves aren't to blame for spreading Covid, and you then reply "Yes, it is those evil tourists, etc" as if I've said the complete opposite ... all supported by a photo of a pre- Covid Pattaya baht bus crammed full of maskless farangs, a photo from Macro Pattaya of a crowd stacking up on beer (mainly farangs, some not masked properly) and a photo from 'somewhere in Asia'