Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

45 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

The vehicle on the left by default has the right of way - the only time this rule is cancelled is when entering a "principle roadway". By default vehicles on the left have right of way.

Unfortunately many drivers don't know that they aren't on a principle road and ASSUME there are and have right of way. Rods of EQUAL status the priority is from the left

Sect 72 - [A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]

Sorry you had such a lousy New Year's Eve.

Edited by Fester
such
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Priority to the left

Priority to the left is a right-of-way system, in which the driver of a vehicle is required to give way to vehicles approaching from the left at intersections.

Priority to the left is the basic rule and is valid if there are no traffic signs or road markings.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:04 AM, Khunwilko said:

The vehicle on the left by default has the right of way - the only time this rule is cancelled is when entering a "principle roadway". By default vehicles on the left have right of way.

Unfortunately many drivers don't know that they aren't on a principle road and ASSUME there are and have right of way. Rods of EQUAL status the priority is from the left

Sect 72 - [A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]

Yeah, there's a BIB on each junction with a mike, karaoke box and baton.

20 minutes ago, Fester said:

Yeah, there's a BIB on each junction with a mike, karaoke box and baton.

sorry , don't follow... who's Mike?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

sorry , don't follow... who's Mike?

Short for Somchai.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Priority to the left

Priority to the left is a right-of-way system, in which the driver of a vehicle is required to give way to vehicles approaching from the left at intersections.

Priority to the left is the basic rule and is valid if there are no traffic signs or road markings.

You forget, in LOS, the populace know nothing about anything regarding road use, except a red traffic light means stop, but even then, at times they disregard it. 

The next time you are on holiday here, set up a deck chair near a road junction, it will be an eye opener for you.

😱..............

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Transam said:

You forget, in LOS, the populace know nothing about anything regarding road use, except a red traffic light means stop, but even then, at times they disregard it. 

The next time you are on holiday here, set up a deck chair near a road junction, it will be an eye opener for you.

😱..............

Thai magic.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Transam said:

😱..............

So long as people use sweeping inaccurate generalisations like this they will never understand road safety or how it should be applied in Thailand.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

So long as people use sweeping inaccurate generalisations like this they will never understand road safety or how it should be applied in Thailand.

You're 'avin a laugh.....This country issues driving licences, have you taken a driving test here, or been present at one, well I have, it is a joke, a non-event from a department that should know what they are doing, a reason why the road carnage is like it is, nobody knows what they are doing from the start...😬

PS. 51 years back, 1971,I took a HGV driving test in the UK, there were three of us, the test took 1.5 hours, I passed, the other two were sent home...Food for thought..

11 minutes ago, Transam said:

You're 'avin a laugh.....This country issues driving licences, have you taken a driving test here, or been present at one, well I have, it is a joke, a non-event from a department that should know what they are doing, a reason why the road carnage is like it is, nobody knows what they are doing from the start...😬

PS. 51 years back, 1971,I took a HGV driving test in the UK, there were three of us, the test took 1.5 hours, I passed, the other two were sent home...Food for thought..

I agree.

I had to go to the office to pay the annual 'road tax' in Phuket a few years ago.

There were driving licence tests going on, it was on a small circuit which took a few minutes to complete once the applicants had reversed into a parking spot large enough to park a bus in, if they did not get it right the first time they could have a few goes at it.

They were processing one driver every few minutes.

On the circuit there was a small roundabout, a small bridge and a few hundred yards of test track with no other cars on it, a monkey with brain damage could have passed the test.

As you mention in the UK the tests are difficult, the test for a car lasts about 45 minutes and involves all sorts of manoeuvres on real roads with normal traffic, most people do not pass first time.

Road deaths UK about 1750 a year, Thailand 25,000.

Just make the tests more difficult.

Also the MOT (annual car check) in the UK takes an hour, they cover brakes and all other essential components, I have my car annual check in Phuket done every year and it takes three minutes as all they check are the brakes on a rolling wheel machine, it is funny to see.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand but what I have said are facts and it is a pity so many people die on the roads when it could easily be remedied. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2022 at 2:27 AM, Transam said:

You're barking up the wrong tree...

You're 'avin a laugh.....This country issues driving licences, have you taken a driving test here, or been present at one,

I have held a Thai driving licence for 20 years.

I have been present or observed dozens of tests, as part of my job was to take foreigners to the local DLT for their licences. 

Only one took the test himself.

You overlook that one there is  a theoretical test as well as the practical.

On one occasion my friends wife had to call him into the licence office as he had wandered out to the practical ground and was laughing so loudly that people were beginning to notice. He then failed the colour blind test.

So yes I have seen terrible driving – but I have also seen it elsewhere. And you are trying to say that the test is the reason for the bad road safety record in Thailand.

Yet they still only have similar number of crashes to the UK – how do you explain that?

BTW – when I went for my HGV 1 assessment in the early 1980s, I was told I didn’t need a training course and they would put me straight in. I was also told by another instructor that if I went to such-and-such test centre I could “knock down every bollard in the place” so long as there was a £50 note folded into my licence.

The point is there are idiots all over the world.

And driving tests (90 minutes for HGV is a joke) taken by most of the people on these forums were a joke when they took them.

Do you seriously think that the test is the be-all and end-all for road safety.

It is part of driver education which is one of the 5E – so it is part of a part of.

Telling personal anecdotes is not a valid way of discussing Road safety.

“TIT” - There’s a tone and an attitude amongst foreigners in Thailand. A combination of personal experience, arrogance and cynicism that leads to a lot of wild and inaccurate comments about Thailand, the people and Thai life;.

A series of false syllogisms – corruption, incompetence and an alien logic are noted and with a touch of racism, misinterpreted. ….and the wrong conclusions are made

The reason why road safety is so poor from the start is because the authorities, like yourself have no idea what road safety is,

PS. 51 years back, 1971,I took a HGV driving test in the UK, there were three of us, the test took 1.5 hours, I passed, the other two were sent home...Food for thought..”  - why is that food for thought?

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2022 at 2:52 AM, JamesR said:

Road deaths UK about 1750 a year, Thailand 25,000.

yet the number of collisions is about the same and in a 4-wheeled vehicle you are slightly less likely to die than in the USA.

UK = 335 per day

122,635 recorded in 2018 – that's around 336 a day.

Thailand over New Year, 1,339 over 3 days = 445 average per day

There is a round a 25% to 30% difference in CRASHES

Yet . ..

USA = 11 per 100,000

Thailand 22 per 100,000

UK 2.9 per 100,000

so it's not the tests/

BTW - I tax my car every year at the DLT, take people for tests and licences, renew my Car passport (purple book) and have plenty of time to observe the antics ata test centre - but it doesn't account for a death rate 10 times that of the UK. You have to take into account the 5 Es.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

You're barking up the wrong tree...

You're 'avin a laugh.....This country issues driving licences, have you taken a driving test here, or been present at one,

I have held a Thai driving licence for 20 years.

I have been present or observed dozens of tests, as part of my job was to take foreigners to the local DLT for their licences. 

Only one took the test himself.

You overlook that one there is  a theoretical test as well as the practical.

On one occasion my friends wife had to call him into the licence office as he had wandered out to the practical ground and was laughing so loudly that people were beginning to notice. He then failed the colour blind test.

So yes I have seen terrible driving – but I have also seen it elsewhere. And you are trying to say that the test is the reason for the bad road safety record in Thailand.

Yet they still only have similar number of crashes to the UK – how do you explain that?

BTW – when I went for my HGV 1 assessment in the early 1980s, I was told I didn’t need a training course and they would put me straight in. I was also told by another instructor that if I went to such-and-such test centre I could “knock down every bollard in the place” so long as there was a £50 note folded into my licence.

The point is there are idiots all over the world.

And driving tests (90 minutes for HGV is a joke) taken by most of the people on these forums were a joke when they took them.

Do you seriously think that the test is the be-all and end-all for road safety.

It is part of driver education which is one of the 5E – so it is part of a part of.

Telling personal anecdotes is not a valid way of discussing Road safety.

“TIT” - There’s a tone and an attitude amongst foreigners in Thailand. A combination of personal experience, arrogance and cynicism that leads to a lot of wild and inaccurate comments about Thailand, the people and Thai life;.

A series of false syllogisms – corruption, incompetence and an alien logic are noted and with a touch of racism, misinterpreted. ….and the wrong conclusions are made

The reason why road safety is so poor from the start is because the authorities, like yourself have no idea what road safety is,

PS. 51 years back, 1971,I took a HGV driving test in the UK, there were three of us, the test took 1.5 hours, I passed, the other two were sent home...Food for thought..”  - why is that food for thought?

That is a load of BS..........🙄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

yet the number of collisions is about the same and in a 4-wheeled vehicle you are slightly less likely to die than in the USA.

UK = 335 per day

Yet . ..

USA = 11 per 100,000

Thailand 22 per 100,000

UK 2.9 per 100,000

so it's not the tests/

BTW - I tax my car every year at the DLT, take people for tests and licences, renew my Car passport (purple book) and have plenty of time to observe the antics ata test centre - but it doesn't account for a death rate 10 times that of the UK. You have to take into account the 5 Es.

So let's not bother with test then, don't bother having them at all.

Number of collisions, the USA and UK have a lot more cars on the road at anyone time than Thailand, it all depends on the severity of collision, but let's skip over unimportant death rates and concentrate on accidents eh.

We could all be pilots as well as we could take a ten minutes test if the quality of training and testing is lowered. 

Just think we could all speak ''fluent'' Thai by just having a few hours of lessons and then pass a simple exam to allow us to teach Thai, we could apply this low test system to everything. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

UK = 335 per day

Yet . ..

USA = 11 per 100,000

Thailand 22 per 100,000

UK 2.9 per 100,000

so it's not the tests/

You don't understand the simple driving stuff, it's obvious from your posts.

Thai's also don't understand the simple stuff because they have never been taught, shown or even learned after driving for a while.

Daft road stuff reigns here, but you make excuses for LOS folk, which in itself is daft.  😧

15 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

UK = 335 per day

Yet . ..

USA = 11 per 100,000

Thailand 22 per 100,000

UK 2.9 per 100,000

so it's not the tests/

Are they part of the ee I ee I oh training?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Fester said:

Are they part of the ee I ee I oh training?

Must be part of old MacDonald's acident figures:
With an accident here, and an accident there, EIEIO.

(The dyslexic version: Old MacDonald had a fram, ZYZYK)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Transam said:

That is a load of BS..........🙄

..and that is cognitive dissonance.

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

..and that is cognitive dissonance.

Of the highest order and original source.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

So let's not bother with test then, don't bother having them at all.

Number of collisions, the USA and UK have a lot more cars on the road at anyone time than Thailand, it all depends on the severity of collision, but let's skip over unimportant death rates and concentrate on accidents eh.

We could all be pilots as well as we could take a ten minutes test if the quality of training and testing is lowered. 

Just think we could all speak ''fluent'' Thai by just having a few hours of lessons and then pass a simple exam to allow us to teach Thai, we could apply this low test system to everything. 

“Number of collisions, the USA and UK have a lot more cars on the road at any one time than Thailand,” - this is not actually correct. 

Traffic density……

in UK (78 per km - https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/summary ) and 

Thailand (approx70 - https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=highways ) is about the same but they are increasing exponentially whilst UK is comparatively static.

– however

Americans drive considerable more kms than either UK or Thailand but have a much lower density.( 38 -https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docserver/9789264185715-20-en.pdf?expires=1641903232&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=ADCCADE3A4136EDC6A39FF2436AECB40)

it all depends on the severity of collision,”  so WHY are they more severe?

No one is skipping over anything except perhaps yourself

You need to ask WHY are the death rates so different in Thai accidents – “it all depends on the severity of collision” – can you explain why the numbers are so much higher?

“We could all be pilots as well as we could take a ten minutes test if the quality of training and testing is lowered. 

Just think we could all speak ''fluent'' Thai by just having a few hours of lessons and then pass a simple exam to allow us to teach Thai, we could apply this low test system to everything. “

This is “reduction ad absurdum” – it does point out how a short test does not prepare us for a life time of driving and continual education is required.

(see the 5 Es)

for those of you who don't know about "Safe System" and target zero, here are the 5 Es

The 5 “E”s

The main pillars of the  Safe System can be defines as follows: - The 5 “E”s of road safety.

For over 3 decades Thailand has had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s (it has to be said with little effect) ... but without them, Road Safety in Thailand is doomed.

1. Education

2. Enforcement

3. Engineering

4. Emergency

5. Evaluation

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:54 PM, Disenfranchised said:

Driving in Thailand isn't that bad although you do need eyes in the back of your head especially during morning and evening rush hour. That's when the fleas embark on-mass onto the roads. The young ones have no fear (or sense) passing left, right, dodging here there and everywhere. 

It really isn't, sometimes you see a car here and there doing some rather "crazy" things. But in the end it's generally fine with cars. 

Things start to get worse when you see motorbikes squeezing through every tiny space they can find, running red lights, people sitting in the back of pickups... Then you realize why there are so many road deaths in Thailand, definitely not from cars (excluding pick-ups).

13 minutes ago, ctxa said:

It really isn't, sometimes you see a car here and there doing some rather "crazy" things. But in the end it's generally fine with cars. 

Things start to get worse when you see motorbikes squeezing through every tiny space they can find, running red lights, people sitting in the back of pickups... Then you realize why there are so many road deaths in Thailand, definitely not from cars (excluding pick-ups).

73% of road deaths are motorcycles which represent about 50% of the vehicles on the road. I'm not sure what you man about pickups but on ALL roads world wide they re under the heading 4-wheeled private vehicles.

If you look at the death rates for private 4-wheeled vehicles in Thailand it is slightly less than for the USA.

It has to be said though, that the USA doesn't have a particularly good road safety record it self.

image.png.f01a1f2524d44b39eff115b696b58944.png

Edited by Khunwilko