Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

Off topic posts, replies and quoted content has been removed, along with posts that could be considered racially offensive.

Please post in relation to the topic or the thread will be closed.

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

No you don’t. I am living proof you don’t 

or maybe I just imagined what happened to me and every Brit I know ? 

or then again maybe they just don’t like you ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I did absolutely nothing barring colour blind cards - FACT!

It seems like it depends where you apply for the British licence conversion to  a Thai licence, which area of the country did you apply?

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

No you don’t. I am living proof you don’t 

or maybe I just imagined what happened to me and every Brit I know ? 

or then again maybe they just don’t like you ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I did absolutely nothing barring colour blind cards - FACT!

A smile of one isn't sufficient in Thailand. As anyone will tell you the law is applied differently depending not just on the office but even on the officer in front of you. This applies as much for driving licences as with any government department or even banks and branches.

I got most of my licences at Chonburi . and it was different every time. Weirdly after my first 5 years I was given a completely new licence and photo. at different times I've taken various eye/reaction teats and even watched a movie once - on no occasion was I asked to do a practical driving demo or asked to pay extra fees.

In the end for about 15 years I used Chonburi for everything from licence to tax to car passport.

On Samui my last renewal was eye tests etc..... the process was very quick apart from the guys wearing shorts and wife-beaters.

54 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It seems like it depends where you apply for the British licence conversion to  a Thai licence, which area of the country did you apply?

Pranburi

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Pranburi

Near Hua Hin I think.

I was in Hua Hin for two weeks in January last year as I was driving from BKK to Phuket.

My plan was a day or two there but I had such a good time I stayed longer.

A friend of mine has a house in HH and uses it every year to get away from the 'smoke season' which happens near his house in CM.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:33 PM, Bluesofa said:

I quote that same figure in emails to cyclists coming to stay with us passing through the country, in the hope they are more aware.
Well, before covid screwed that one up anyway.

Don't forget I speak with experience.
Seven months ago I was hit by a car driven by a doctor in a hurry to get to work - irony.
I was cycling in the wide motorbike lane on a dual carriageway. She was in the first car lane, not paying attention and veered across the lane hitting me.

How's it all going now ? Are you back on your feet and mobile again, I really hope so. 😉

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

OK I'll give you that one and get a automatic shifter. But it gets confusing when I reach for the turn signal lever and the windshield wipers go off.

You obviously have little experience of cars in general, or skill…our SUV has the turn indicator on the right … our Merc has the gear selector there with the turn indicator on the left……

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

I would have thought it is about driving in Thailand and almost every poster on this thread is a foreigner. So I'd include UK drivers.

It is very disturbing how many expats stay for years in Thailand and never get a Thai licence of any kind.....which means they are driving illegally

Where did you sample to come to that conclusion…some little village in Nakkorn Nowhere

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mynemesis said:

Where did you sample to come to that conclusion…some little village in Nakkorn Nowhere

Pattaya and Samui mainly - over a period of of about 30 years - occasionally having to get people out of nick or ring up police officers to sort it out.

foreigners living in small villages tend to get licences as it is easier in regional towns especially if you have a Thai partner. 

Many of the retirees in the major expat ghettoes fail there eye tests etc and either have to bribe their way to a Thai licence or keep an IDP and hope that no-one will notie=ce they have been driving on it for years when the limit is three months.

I met an English guy once who thought it cost 20k to get a Thai licence - basically that's the tea money various agents had taken off him a the Pattaya DLT before he got his licence - and even then he didn't realise it didn't cover his motorcycle.

It's the best thing about the corrupt police even if you get caught and they realise, they just ask for a bit more money.

PS - Nakhorn means city.

Edited by Khunwilko

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

OK I'll give you that one and get a automatic shifter. But it gets confusing when I reach for the turn signal lever and the windshield wipers go off.

That happens  both ways ! I rented a VW Passat in the Irish Republic  that was "normal" right hand driver position but the controls for lights and wipers were reversed ! I learned the meaning of Ire in Ireland quite quickly !

36 minutes ago, Mynemesis said:

You obviously have little experience of cars in general, or skill…our SUV has the turn indicator on the right … our Merc has the gear selector there with the turn indicator on the left……

Oooh nooo....another one!

18 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Pattaya and Samui mainly - over a period of of about 30 years - occasionally having to get people out of nick or ring up police officers to sort it out.

foreigners living in small villages tend to get licences as it is easier in regional towns especially if you have a Thai partner. 

Many of the retirees in the major expat ghettoes fail there eye tests etc and either have to bribe their way to a Thai licence or keep an IDP and hope that no-one will notie=ce they have been driving on it for years when the limit is three months.

I met an English guy once who thought it cost 20k to get a Thai licence - basically that's the tea money various agents had taken off him a the Pattaya DLT before he got his licence - and even then he didn't realise it didn't cover his motorcycle.

It's the best thing about the corrupt police even if you get caught and they realise, they just ask for a bit more money.

PS - Nakhorn means city.

I give you that slip up BUT I haven’t met any foreigner in the fifteen years that I have lived here who drives but doesn’t have a Thai license. Have met Thais who don’t. A friends wife, who lives in Phang Na, drives daily and has never had a license.

Where we lived in the UK there were Thai wives who thought it OK to drive more than one year on their Thai license.

19 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

That happens  both ways ! I rented a VW Passat in the Irish Republic  that was "normal" right hand driver position but the controls for lights and wipers were reversed ! I learned the meaning of Ire in Ireland quite quickly !

That is one that gets me............

I am fine driving on the "wrong side" and am fine driving in the passenger seat  :)

But I am constantly turning on the window wipers when trying to hit the turn signal 5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

Must be the week for it, 

Why, you have a second posting name 😐   YES I should have said our other car and then I wouldn’t have received a ‘hole comment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mynemesis said:

Why, you have a second posting name 😐   YES I should have said our other car and then I wouldn’t have received a ‘hole comment.

Sorry don't understand your comment nor even your point. 

38 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

PS - Nakhorn means city.

I would assume if they failed the eye test they shouldn’t be driving. Not getting a Thai dl is just lazy. 

1 hour ago, Golden-Triangle said:

How's it all going now ? Are you back on your feet and mobile again, I really hope so. 😉

Thanks for your concern GT.

Yes, I am mobile again. been going out for short 10km rides to start with.
I'm setting my sights high. As soon as the rain stops - hopefully at the end of this month - I can't wait to go for some longer rides.
I used to do a 36km loop three/four times a week.

• Like 1

There is only one rule for operating a means of transport on Thai  roads. Defensive, defensive !

99% it will work. The 1% it does not is because you forgot  "Murphy's Law".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That is one that gets me............

I am fine driving on the "wrong side" and am fine driving in the passenger seat  :)

But I am constantly turning on the window wipers when trying to hit the turn signal 5555

Wrong side? Merican or European from that  big piece of  dirt?  Really the only consideration a driver should have is that as the driver you are closest to the idiot coming the other way. Thankfully  in Thailand the drivers seat in positioned on the right and is suited to the reflexes I have acquired. During my time living in Brasil it was only the pain from bruising my knuckles on the door panel when attempting to  change gear that I discovered an ability to adapt...temporarily !

Incomplete exchange of control levers such as lights and wipers is just a cruel joke !

1 hour ago, Mynemesis said:

I give you that slip up BUT I haven’t met any foreigner in the fifteen years that I have lived here who drives but doesn’t have a Thai license. Have met Thais who don’t. A friends wife, who lives in Phang Na, drives daily and has never had a license.

Where we lived in the UK there were Thai wives who thought it OK to drive more than one year on their Thai license.

s said it is appalling how little foreigners understand about driving in Thailand.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I would assume if they failed the eye test they shouldn’t be driving. Not getting a Thai dl is just lazy. 

most are just lazy.

they have no respect for driving in Thailand.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Convert54 said:

There is only one rule for operating a means of transport on Thai  roads. Defensive, defensive !

99% it will work. The 1% it does not is because you forgot  "Murphy's Law".

I avoid using the expression “defensive driving” as I think it is unhelpful.... it gets confused with “slow”, “indecisive”, “timid” and “hesitant”, all of which are to be avoided.

If you ask people what their idea of "defensive driving" is, they for the most part won't know.

defensive driving skills -  "driving to save lives, time, and money, in spite of the conditions around you and the actions of others.” – wiki [American National Standard Safe Practices for Motor Vehicle Operation]

Defensive driving is a particular style of road driving that utilises a variety of techniques and tactics to keep you and everybody else safe on the road.  - Road craft

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

I avoid using the expression “defensive driving” as I think it is unhelpful.... it gets confused with “slow”, “indecisive”, “timid” and “hesitant”, all of which are to be avoided.

If you ask people what their idea of "defensive driving" is, they for the most part won't know.

defensive driving skills -  "driving to save lives, time, and money, in spite of the conditions around you and the actions of others.” – wiki [American National Standard Safe Practices for Motor Vehicle Operation]

Defensive driving is a particular style of road driving that utilises a variety of techniques and tactics to keep you and everybody else safe on the road.  - Road craft

I have no idea of what you are talking about. You say it is or it isn"t.

9 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

s said it is appalling how little foreigners understand about driving in Thailand.

Maybe in Pattaya and/Samui. No need to get a license to drive the wheel chair ton the next bar.